Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Bobba
  • 1 Post By Sharki
  • 1 Post By Hahn
  • 1 Post By MTNGear

Thread: Fitting MTN rail

Fitting MTN rail

Probably will go to local gunsmith to get it fitted. Not as straightforward as I had hoped. Any ideas? Sling swivel is fine it's the second bolt that has me beat. Just not sure who to do it without damaging the integrity of the stock.
    Name:  20240409_181755.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  1.87 MB
    Name:  20240409_181811.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  1.45 MB

This may help?. Short video of installation.
    https://www.facebook.com/share/v/C4p...ibextid=oFDknk

Sent from my SM-G525F using Tapatalk

Drill it carefully and then build up around it with JB weld or something similar. I have one to do soon, have already done one on a timber stock that was easy as.

I really like this system it works great for me.
    Happy Jack.

Fill the voids needed with terminal ballistics stock stabilizing compound then you will have a solid area to drill and mount to.
    TianBotha likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobba View Post
    Fill the voids needed with terminal ballistics stock stabilizing compound then you will have a solid area to drill and mount to.
    That stuff is a low density filler type product you would be far better off using something a bit more appropriate that is actually designed to be drilled/tapped ...

Fk u's are o er engineering it. What u gonna do cross rivers on the bipod , I'll try to post photos when I get back to car.
    It's only what a 5kg rifle, scope included.
    TianBotha likes this.

Machine screw, washer, nut and epoxy blob on the nut to stop it coming loose. It doesn't need tapping and threading. The stock rigidity won't be compromised by a few millimetre hole. Just make sure it's straight inline with your sling stud hole

Thanks @Preacher. I thought that may be the case. Will need to do everything from the underside rather than using the nut supplied.

The supplied hardware works pretty well. Even better if you fill the voids with epoxy of some sort.

To make a tight fit I heated the nut with the bolt installed in reverse then pushed and melted its way into the half inch hole I drilled in the plastic/epoxy, pull the bolt and screw it in the correct way through the rail and stock to pull tight and make sure it all aligned. Pretty much how Matt does it in his video... with added blowtorch.

Mine was bedded and filled with terminal ballistics stock stabilizing compound.
    Preacher likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 300wsm for life View Post
    Probably will go to local gunsmith to get it fitted. Not as straightforward as I had hoped. Any ideas? Sling swivel is fine it's the second bolt that has me beat. Just not sure who to do it without damaging the integrity of the stock.
    Attachment 247717
    Attachment 247718
    Hey mate how'd you get on? Have a stock similar and videoed myself installing the rail which I can post if you would find helpful? Pretty straightforward process.
    Cheers Matt
    300wsm for life likes this.

Yeah pretty good. Front screw went through forward of the x forend of stock. Used the grippy nut supplied and then packed around with epoxy. Sling swivel I drilled out with 12mm spade bit, epoxied in a ss washer and 5 mm nut so it sat flush with stock. Painted the epoxy tonight with black nail polish. All done.