Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: GPS watch

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikka7mm08 View Post
    I've had a GPS watch for a while...a Garmin Epix, now a Fenix 5X sapphire (which I'm gonna sell), and soon a 6x Pro Solar (cos I like gadgets and birthday).

The Epix was a great watch with touchscreen that was excellent to use with maps. Could be a bit glitchy. The 5x works likes a charm, works under canopy too. Works well with the Basecamp software to put maps, waypoints or even Birdseye sat onto the watch.

I have mainly used mine for time to go to a hut, waypoint or back to the carpark. Flick GPS on then flick it off...battery has never been an issue. Handy right there on your wrist. I wouldn't go somewhere easy to get lost/bushed and just rely on any GPS watch. I also have a 66i that weighs nothing for what it brings and a dedicated PLB.
    Hit me up when you wanna sell the 5x

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Yep...PM me if you can find what they are worth 2nd hand... 50% lowest retail of new?? I'm ready to press go on a 6x.

Pic beside my Suunto D6i. I collect WWII stuff so guess why I have that watchface...

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Man after my own heart tikka7mm08
    I have a fenix 5 sapphire
    Which is great urban wear as I require it for work a great deal.
    It's good phone to wrist for comms and music
    In the bush I have used it in Fiordland Stewart Is and South Westland
    I have used the backtrack and way point features mostly
    Never had an issue with battery life or coverage.
    I usually carry a battery pack or solar pack to charge tho
    I did swap the factory strap out for an aftermarket jobbie as it made wear more comfortable for me
    I also carry a garmin 64 and plb...as I dont carry my phone in the bush.
    I know a few chappie who just use watch and phone...but not my thing
    buzzman and Tikka7mm08 like this.

I have the wrists of a small boy but sits well still.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
    buzzman, R93, Danny and 1 others like this.

I have a casio range man gps watch its works with my phone which i take any way as its my camera . The big thing with it is its soloar powered and has all the other typical bells and whistles like 200m water 10 meter drop and all the features of a Gshock . I rate it really highly as i hard on watches and this one is standing up to me really well .

Dunno will ask next time I see him,as about $300 from rebel I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSL View Post
    What model watch? My suunto watch is every bit as accurate as my Garmin gps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Fenix 5, it’s good for tracking distances walked, climbs, bike distances, daily steps, altitude, heart rate, etc but I wouldn’t rely on it for navigation, I’d use a proper gps.
    buzzman and Bos like this.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

I use mine for day hunts in shitty bush, has a fix 95% of the time. Will produce zig zag trails from pinging often and in close proximity so not great for distance walked measure but more than reliable for what i use it for. Would definitely recommend. The dog collar function is awesome too
    buzzman likes this.

I have a sunto watch the traverse alpha and have found it great. Accurate as but not as handy as other gps options with the mapping not being near as flash

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    buzzman likes this.
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

Quote Originally Posted by matto1234 View Post
    I use mine for day hunts in shitty bush, has a fix 95% of the time. Will produce zig zag trails from pinging often and in close proximity so not great for distance walked measure but more than reliable for what i use it for. Would definitely recommend. The dog collar function is awesome too
    Hey Matto1234,

What watch do you have and what is the dog collar function?

Rich
    buzzman likes this.
    If my work annoys me, I cull them

I'm lucky enough to get to play with a bunch of GPS watches.
    The thing to do, is figure out what you're trying to achieve, and what your price point is.
    Some, like the Garmin Fenix series, are a true multi sport watch. The Fenix 6 is generally regarded as the best in its field. The GPS in most of the latest generation stuff is every bit as good as a handheld unit, but the small screen size is the drawback there. Its a major step up from the Fenix 5 in screen size, and more importantly, battery life. Ive had a number of them, from Epix, to Fenix 1/2/3/5/6, and the Fenix 6 is top dog.
    I currently swap between the Garmin Descent (for diving/hunting) the Fenix 6 and the Tactix Delta.
    I use mine for all my day hunts, in areas that I'm reasonably familiar with. If I'm hunting a new location, or doing multi day hunts, I still prefer a handheld for its larger map area, for planning.
    They're also awesome for any training you do (I'm into pack training at the moment, and have a circuit I do with a pack of bricks on, my improvement over the four weeks of being home has been great to track.) Plus they do swimming/cycling/kayaking/hiking etc etc. As someone said earlier, recovery of animals using the Sight and go feature is awesome. (pretty much every hand held has this too)
    You can punch in waypoints, mark new ones, navigate to them, backtrack etc.
    Theres' lesser priced options too, like the Instinct series. Is a stripped out version of the Fenix. No maps, but is amazingly light weight.
    In the bush, I'd stay away from the fitness oriented stuff (that has GPS) as its just not as rugged.
    Am happy to help with any questions you've got, flick me a PM

Cheers

K
    buzzman, Dreamer and Danny like this.

Does anyone know if you can load your choice of map onto it (eg Maptoaster) ?

Quote Originally Posted by Randomandrews View Post
    I'm lucky enough to get to play with a bunch of GPS watches.
    The thing to do, is figure out what you're trying to achieve, and what your price point is.
    Some, like the Garmin Fenix series, are a true multi sport watch. The Fenix 6 is generally regarded as the best in its field. The GPS in most of the latest generation stuff is every bit as good as a handheld unit, but the small screen size is the drawback there. Its a major step up from the Fenix 5 in screen size, and more importantly, battery life. Ive had a number of them, from Epix, to Fenix 1/2/3/5/6, and the Fenix 6 is top dog.
    I currently swap between the Garmin Descent (for diving/hunting) the Fenix 6 and the Tactix Delta.
    I use mine for all my day hunts, in areas that I'm reasonably familiar with. If I'm hunting a new location, or doing multi day hunts, I still prefer a handheld for its larger map area, for planning.
    They're also awesome for any training you do (I'm into pack training at the moment, and have a circuit I do with a pack of bricks on, my improvement over the four weeks of being home has been great to track.) Plus they do swimming/cycling/kayaking/hiking etc etc. As someone said earlier, recovery of animals using the Sight and go feature is awesome. (pretty much every hand held has this too)
    You can punch in waypoints, mark new ones, navigate to them, backtrack etc.
    Theres' lesser priced options too, like the Instinct series. Is a stripped out version of the Fenix. No maps, but is amazingly light weight.
    In the bush, I'd stay away from the fitness oriented stuff (that has GPS) as its just not as rugged.
    Am happy to help with any questions you've got, flick me a PM

Cheers

K
    This is a good bit of information.
    It looks like I’m also wanting a Fenix 5 by the sounds of this...

buzzman likes this.
    Dan M

Quote Originally Posted by Rich007 View Post
    Hey Matto1234,

What watch do you have and what is the dog collar function?

Rich
    Fenix 5x, tells you name and distance of each dog and gives you a heading arrow to follow to get to them. Has to Connect to the alpha handheld unit
    Rich007 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by matto1234 View Post
    Fenix 5x, tells you name and distance of each dog and gives you a heading arrow to follow to get to them. Has to Connect to the alpha handheld unit
    Shit! I didn’t know that!!! I need one...

buzzman and matto1234 like this.
    Dan M