Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: New 17hmr options and options

Quote Originally Posted by tac a1 View Post

Maybe it will sort itself out with a bit more use. Everything is very stiff and tight fitting from new.

that reminds me of something else rather dear to our hearts...cant quite think what it might be though???? was going to say put my finger on it,but thought better of it.might have got hand slapped.....
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Depends if you said it out loud when the missus was listening or just thinking it
    Micky Duck likes this.

Ended up with a Marlin 17hmr.
    As new, old boy brought it and couldn't hit anything with it so it's been in a gun safe for along time.
    We will see how it shoots.

mate had one of them marlins...shot very well...very antisocial without suppressor,the young fella only did that once before he got a right bollocking.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Yeah they are very loud, horrible sharp crack.
    The Marlin is away at a mates getting the suppressor fitted and a trigger job.
    It's my second Marlin 17hmr, first one shot very well but started to misfire so traded it in.
    This one was made in 2006, done just over a box of ammo and put away till now. Looks brand new and it's a proper Marlin out of New Haven before Remington got hold of them. Be interesting to see if it lives up to their reputation.
    csmiffy likes this.

Thinking about getting a 17HMR, can you chuck a 22 can on them? I have a plethora of 22 cans at the moment.

Can't see why not. Should be fine.
    Won't cost anything to try it

Mate recently brought a Tikka 17hmr with standard cheap 22 suppressor and just for a test we put on my dpt 223 and it made a huge difference.

I run a DPT overbarrel centrefire suppressor with 17cal baffles, obviously still get the crack but no boom at all.
    55six likes this.

I run a Savage A17 Semi. Love it for its accuracy, but that comes at the expense of being heavier. Thumbhole stock is very nice in the hand. It likees a lot of cleaning/lub to keep it cycling 100%

My son recently brought a Bergara BMR Carbon. It is a very nice light rifle, and is very accurate as well. I would happily buy one myself after using his several times. It is a very nice setup which he has a Leapold Freedom on it. Awesome to shoot and carry.

The A17 doing the damage......got to love the ,17HMR as a calibre
    Name:  .17HMR.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  1.41 MB
    SL600 likes this.

Anyone try the Rossi 8117? Seems like a cheap entry level option into 17hmr.

Picked up a Rossi 8117 HMR today, $349 new from guncity this weekend only. Apparently Rossi make the Mossberg 817, both look very similar.

Managed to get to the range today to zero it in. Took the day off work to take the pooches to groomers, so figured out I could get some range time in between them being dropped off and ready to be picked up.

Things got a bit messed up timewise, I overslept so was late dropping them off. I left my license behind at the gunshop when I decided I might need more ammo, left the magazine at home... and so on, one of those days.

So after picking up the rifle on Saturday, I swapped over a scope from one my 22s and checked my DPT can fitted (from same 22). Did a bit of bore sighting and got it ready for it's range visit.

At the range it was 2" to the right, so I was quickly able to get it on target. 1st pic is at 50m, 2nd is at 100m. I actually struggled with the scope at 100m as the crosshair obscures the red dot. The scope is a Nikon P800 Supersub 2-7x32 - I'm considering getting a low end Nikko with finer crosshairs. So the 100m grouping may reflect my inability to see the red dot clearly (it was also getting a bit windy). This is basically from the shop, no cleaning.

I was a bit worried because it's a Rossi, and it has a 18" barrel, and it's very light - but I think it's a bargain.

Name:  50mHMR.JPG
Views: 137
Size:  19.8 KB

Name:  100mHMR.JPG
Views: 141
Size:  23.5 KB

Can't wait to introduce it to the bunnies.

I've just used the same DPT rimfire suppressor on my 22LR and 17HMR. Seems fine.

Quote Originally Posted by vulcannz View Post
    I actually struggled with the scope at 100m as the crosshair obscures the red dot. The scope is a Nikon P800 Supersub 2-7x32 - I'm considering getting a low end Nikko with finer crosshairs. So the 100m grouping may reflect my inability to see the red dot clearly (it was also getting a bit windy).
    Might be an idea to get a scope with a bit more legs, like 4-16. You find you'll be wanting to shoot things at 150m in no time, because with a decent hmr that's it's bread and butter.
    GWH and Mintie like this.