Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: New shooter advice.

Man I love A-bolts. I got offered a swap .308 abolt for my 6.5ai. Tempting as

You cant go wrong with a A-bolt 7mm-08

Ejected
    You can't find one either...
    Toby likes this.

Weird okay will try again. This will be the shortened version as the last one didn't make it.
    If you can hold on for the next 3 weeks i will make it a point to come over and you can throw some lead at paper from the 7mm 08 suppressed and see what you think. I could do with a day just sending some ammo down the range and also wish someone had done that for me. In saying that it does the job and i don't flinch one little bit. Nor did i get any complaints from the deer, all slept well that night with some being permanently.
    I honestly wish that companies would spend the time and effort in running range days so that we could all try before we buy but i guess we are not as big as the good ol U S of A.
    See what you think and if you want the offers there.
    Just to ask you have a FAL?
    Just checking for sure
    Sarcasm: lowest from of wit, highest form of intelligence.

Ejected
    No I don't yet sorry. I have just sorted everything this week and am applying on Monday.

I would like to take you up on that offer when I do get it though. Otherwise my first shoot will be with a mate who I'm pretty sure is borderline retarded.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    No I don't yet sorry. I have just sorted everything this week and am applying on Monday.

I would like to take you up on that offer when I do get it though. Otherwise my first shoot will be with a mate who I'm pretty sure is borderline retarded.
    Nah should be fine fella. Happy to get out there over the next 3 weeks or so. Probably weekends, have to work out vehicles for the missus as she is working and after she turned her car in to a paperweight. Dropped all the coolant, burst pipe and tried to re-start it after the engine light came on! Happy days indeed Pm me some details and i will be in touch. I'm only the 1/4 off the planet so would qualify Will line you up with the kangaroo CoreLokt lol
    Sarcasm: lowest from of wit, highest form of intelligence.

It's not easy being a hunter in training. Every person I talk to has conflicting opinions. However I think I'll go with 7mm08.

Now I have a caliber I need to decide on a rifle. I liked the look of PERRISCICABA's Tikka, but the guy down at Bronco's sports was pretty scathing of them.

I have never really even used a rifle before, but after months of internet research I have my heart set on a Browning A-Bolt for some stupid reason, I don't even know why...I want to spend no more than around $1500 for rifle & scope cos I don't even know if I'll enjoy this shit yet...

Please advise away.
    Before you get your heart set on anything.... go look at some,fondel some,take the bolt in and out,try the trigger,take the mag or floor plate out and put it back in,try the safty,throw it up to your shoulder like your about to take a rapid shot at something and see if your eye is naturally in line with the scope or sights, check balance point when carrying in the hand....balance point right on a mag that sticks out just sucks arse for one handed carrying,mag capacity?, ability to top load?( I hate non top loadable,when you get to a shitty bit or bluff I like to remove round from chamber and its nice to just push it down into the mag instead of remove the mag and insert round(like a Tikka)

Fondel lots and weigh up the pros and cons of each.
    GravelBen, Boulderman and Turehu like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Fondle lots and weigh up the pros and cons of each

That's not just true about rifles y'know
    veitnamcam and Gibo like this.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Before you get your heart set on anything.... go look at some,fondel some,take the bolt in and out,try the trigger,take the mag or floor plate out and put it back in,try the safty,throw it up to your shoulder like your about to take a rapid shot at something and see if your eye is naturally in line with the scope or sights, check balance point when carrying in the hand....balance point right on a mag that sticks out just sucks arse for one handed carrying,mag capacity?, ability to top load?( I hate non top loadable,when you get to a shitty bit or bluff I like to remove round from chamber and its nice to just push it down into the mag instead of remove the mag and insert round(like a Tikka)

Fondel lots and weigh up the pros and cons of each.
    This is very, very good advice.

Unfortunately Gun salesmen are almost as bad as car salesmen. They want to get the most $$ from you possible, never mind it being what you wanted.

Try as many as you can, most shooters/hunters are more than happy to let you have a try of their rifles as long as you ask nicely.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Otherwise my first shoot will be with a mate who I'm pretty sure is borderline retarded.
    Lol, change friends quickly