Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree97Likes

Thread: Nice bolt action 22LR

Not just an internet expert... The Claw's Avatar

Nice bolt action 22LR

I have always thought I should (need to) buy a nice bolt action 22, mainly just for mucking around with, nice and cheap to shoot, but good for silently dealing with critters near the house.

Don't want a Marlin, or a Savage, or other run of the mill thing, thinking something I could hand on to the kids etc.

I have a Ruger 77/22 in 22WMR, which I like now, after rebarreling it because it grouped like a shotgun. Maybe I should go with a pair of them? Have always like the look of Coopers, but don't know the first thing about the process of getting one.

What have you got? What do you like? And do you have pictures to show us all?
    If it's not a first round hit you need to practice more

MEB
    I recently got my hands on an old 1965 Anshutz. The trigger is rubbish. The stock not that clever. Someone's done a horrific thread job on the end of the barrel BUT the thing shoots like a lazer and has some soul to it. I'll post a pic tomorrow. It's not a thing of beauty but I bet a nice one would be. Jeez they shoot well though. Even makes me look good.

I'm in the same boat.

CZ is nice but I hate the stamped trigger guard.

Anschutz is alright.

Ruger is too much money for what you get, and too much cheesy stuff - plastic Ruger logo gripcap and so forth.

Cooper is what I was looking at.

Ejected
    Get one of them straight pull thing's with the rotatory mag.

I have a Kimber K22, very nice rifle, not a toy.
    I got it for Ashlee to shoot & shoot with out heating it up & me being left with a ton of reloading.
    The factory 5 shot group @ 50 was .221 so it does shoot from a rest.
    I want to put a suppressor on it but won't thread it.
    It is a lovely rifle to use & feels like a centre fire.
    Ashlee has shot hares with it but was a little disappointed by the damage inflicted.
    I guess that comes from shooting them with a minimum of a 204 & up too the 6.5wsm & 308

Attached Images Attached Images  

bas
    This is something I've been looking into myself; a quality .22 with a nice scope that I can pass on should one of the kids take up my shooting interests.

I've pretty much decided on the Anschutz 1712 but still trying to decide on the right scope.... Probably a Leupold VX-R

Hmmmm how bout we get a group buy of coopers? Its a fairly easy process and I could easily talk myself into another one. dollar istn to bad either.

Quote Originally Posted by sneeze View Post
    Hmmmm how bout we get a group buy of coopers? Its a fairly easy process and I could easily talk myself into another one. dollar istn to bad either.
    I would be into that....

Not just an internet expert... The Claw's Avatar
    Ok, you have my attention... What does the process involve? How long would I have to sneak out the funds that I would need to buy a Cooper without her indoors noticing...
    If it's not a first round hit you need to practice more

I learnt to shoot with my fathers Brno 2E .22LR, still shoot with it to this day. Great rifle, very accurate.

When I get the time I'm planning on refurbishing the stock, getting the pistol grip checkered and re-staining it back to its former glory.

Hopefully it cleans up as nice as this one.

Link: http://www.trademe.co.nz/sports/hunt...-430313599.htm
    Last edited by Raging Bull; 08-12-2011 at 04:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Claw View Post
    Ok, you have my attention... What does the process involve? How long would I have to sneak out the funds that I would need to buy a Cooper without her indoors noticing...
    Theres a few things I will need to confirm but Im happy to sort it.I spent some time talking to cooper about getting them direct into NZ a year or so back but we are just to small a market and they showed little interest so it was a fail.Aparently you can buy them in Oz form MOA performance although he never ansered any of my emails.First thought would be to buy from some where like First stop guns in rapid city. Iv delt with them before,Mark is a top guy and his prices are pretty sharp,may get a bit of a discount if theres a reasonable number..If you buy from their stock then its a lot faster.If you want something custom then the wait from cooper can be long. Its not a rapid process at either end , cost generally is $250-400 for the permit (total not per rifle) + 10% of the total value depending on who you use.Add feight, gst,excahnge rate and the 2% CC charge youll get an idea of cost. Keep in mind this is not a cheap exercise and if there is a problem with the rifle cooper will put it right but they are a long way away
    First stop guns listingsDosnt seem to have many coopers listed st the mo.would be worth finding out whatelse he has in stock or he has on the way,
    http://www.gunsamerica.com/Search.ht...t%20Stop%20Gun
    Last edited by sneeze; 08-12-2011 at 06:19 PM.

Get an old Brno and refurb it

Phil from Target Sports (NZ Precision) was pretty helpful when I imported my Blaser. If I had an idea of the number of rifles we are talking about I will get him to price it up for us.

I would probably be in for that

MEB
    Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    I would probably be in for that
    Likewise. I may be interested depending on how much the rifle will cost in my hands and what I'd have to sell to get it... Would it be rude to order two to sell one to help finance one for myself and potentially bolster the order??

Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!