Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree22Likes
  • 1 Post By Bagheera
  • 1 Post By Bill999
  • 2 Post By Bert 71
  • 1 Post By Bol Tackshin
  • 6 Post By Gibo
  • 4 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By Tahr

Thread: Rifle stocks as a carbon sink

Rifle stocks as a carbon sink

For a start, a rifle will last for 100 years.

The wooden stock will deteriorate little if at all when looked after.
    Linseed oil is fixed CO2 from the atmosphere too, not fossil.
    How much of a Walnut tree goes into stocks and how much is left to rot or burn and retun its C to the atmosphere ? Yet even waste would be carbon neutral if we keep growing more walnut to replace it.

Does anyone know what's the carbon balance of making a carbon fibre stock ? Or wrap barrel ? And do thet last indefinitely or only 20 years ?

Obviously, plastic and fibreglass are based on fossil hydrocarbons and should have stayed in the ground.

Aluminium has been described as solidified electricity. So if made in NZ from local hydro. Could be neutral as long as we dont have to fire up a fossil plant to enable it ... but if made in AU where they rely on coal the equation would be different.

I've been thinking abou this for 10 minutes now. Is it really a no brainer or random fantasy ?
    Moa Hunter likes this.

are we talking all rifles or just the hunting ones

I think there are quite a few smouldering ones after just a month or less of use releasing their carbon back to the air
    grandpamac likes this.

My question is, were all the firearms in the recent buyback recycled or just thrown into landfill? Doesn't say much for the Government if they weren't recycled and put to good use making something else!
    Bagheera and Moa Hunter like this.

Yes the buyback was a great opportunity. Recycle the steel and landfil the wood. Has anyone seen a recycling triangle on a plastic stock ? @tikka owners ?

When you go to use your rifle hunting/range do you walk from home, take a horse or drive?

Quote Originally Posted by Bagheera View Post
    Yes the buyback was a great opportunity. Recycle the steel and landfil the wood. Has anyone seen a recycling triangle on a plastic stock ? @tikka owners ?
    Raises issues about recycling centres being licenced to receive firearm parts...

I love the sound of absurdity in the morning!!!
    timattalon likes this.

Everything from the earth is neutral....not like any new compounds are made up...she will just chew us up, spit us out and start again (worst case)

Quote Originally Posted by Bert 71 View Post
    My question is, were all the firearms in the recent buyback recycled or just thrown into landfill? Doesn't say much for the Government if they weren't recycled and put to good use making something else!
    I suggested if they had been repurposed for our military we would be one of the best equiped in the world...if they had been put into storage we could have gifted them to Ukraine..but no dice..into the crusher they went...criminal waste.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

agree Gibo......mother earth got sick of the dinosaurs and chewed them up....we will go the same way sooner or later..best not dwell to much on that or someone will cry religion discussion and thread get canned....
    when I miss a shot I just say Im replenishing the copper deficiency in the soil
    kotuku likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    agree Gibo......mother earth got sick of the dinosaurs and chewed them up....we will go the same way sooner or later..best not dwell to much on that or someone will cry religion discussion and thread get canned....
    when I miss a shot I just say Im replenishing the copper deficiency in the soil
    When I miss a shot I just say "bugger".
    RUMPY likes this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Maybe I'm not understanding what the OP is saying/asking but why is this even a subject to discuss? Am I meant to feel ashamed for owning plastic rifles?

If one of my shots hit. I stand in awe going "how did that happen".any ducks i get ,inevitably die of heart failure due to laughing as my stream of steel whizzes past arse feathers like a poli on holiday .