Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Scope for .22

Scope for .22

Hey Guys

Was wondering if you could give me some advice on a scope for my Brno Model 1 .22

The original scope fogged (seals popped in cargo hold while on plane over here?), I have replaced with a bushnell banner that came with my 7mmRM but I think the 7mm has damaged it and it has gone from tackdriver with the old scope to shotgunner! Literally from half to 1" groups at 50m to about 7" groups now and zero consistency, 2 through the same hole and then three together way right, then 1 high and on and on!!!!!!!!!

Max range will be 70 -100m, mainly used for possums, bunnies and the odd deerstalkers target shoot. Now obviously I don't want to go and break the bank on a .22 scope so what I have been thinking about are a Nikko Stirling Gameking (The one on my .223 seems to be pretty decent for the money), Simmons 8 point (no idea what these are like?) or any other suggestions?

Other options would be to get a better scope for the .223 and put the gameking on the .22 but the .223 is dialled in really well and shooting half inch groups so don't really want to mess with it! (Know it shouldn't change but sometimes these things mess with your head!)
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

I have a cheap ass $115 scope on my .22 from TM and it seems to be ok, A bit shitty when you zoom up to 9 but 8 and below its fine.
    VIVA LA HOWA

I have a Nikko Nighteater 6x36 on my 22, I like it. Fixed 6x is plenty of magnification for a hunting 22 IMO, why complicate things with vari-power when there's no need?

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    I have a cheap ass $115 scope on my .22 from TM and it seems to be ok, A bit shitty when you zoom up to 9 but 8 and below its fine.
    Cheers Tobes, that's why I am looking at another gameking, only $139.99 from reloaders and they have a pretty good picture, even on 9x.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    I have a Nikko Nighteater 6x36 on my 22, I like it. Fixed 6x is plenty of magnification for a hunting 22 IMO, why complicate things with vari-power when there's no need?
    Good call, would be happy with a fixed 6x but they are pretty few and far between, seems everyone is fixated on variables, in a cheap scope I agree fixed is better, less to go wrong!

Funny you mention 6x, I just pulled my variable off from my HMR and slapped it on my .22 for 6x, it had a 4x32, 6 I find much nicer, as long as its clear I guess
    Grouchy Smurf had it right all along...

Nikon Prostaff 4-12X40 | Trade Me

Was thinking of grabbing this for the .223 then sticking the Nikko on the .22

Looks a good buy! Those Nikons have a good rep, should be much nicer glass than the gameking.

2.5-8vx3 leupy with a lr recticle would be tops

i put mine on my 22 and didnt want to take it off
    now it has a 100$ simmons 3-9x40 which is also pretty good
    Iv heard those model ones are crap il do you a favor and swap you for a brand new norinco jw15. they seem really popular on this forum

Yeah Bill, the model ones are pretty rubbish! Sounds like a good swap, especially as its a 48 which I think was first year of production (?)

Would love to find an older pecar or kahles or something like that in fixed 6x to suit the rifles age, the bushnell banner does look a bit out of place on it and so would most newer scopes but I may not have a choice.

So you reckon those $100 simmons will do the job? I have never used one and have no idea what they are like, I do hate buying stuff cheap and then having to replace it 6 months later.

I used a cheap Simmons 3-9x40 once and it was terrible. Poor light transmission, poor clarity, short and very fussy eye relief, etc. The only good thing about it was that it was fairly light and compact. Maybe some are better than others but it wasn't a scope I'd tolerate on my own rifles.

I see reloaders have a Nikko 4x42 for $75, not sure if anyone still sells the fixed 6x nighteater but they used to be around $110.

Cheers Ben, good feedback, what I basically wanted to hear, don't want to spend my money on crap, especially seeing as it is the most used of all my firearms.

The Nikko is good for the money but can't find the 6x anymore.

Might have to be a Nikon for the .223, anyone know what the shipping and customs/excise etc. are to bring one in from the states? Might loog at the m-223 2-8x32 for $299US. Might as well get that rather than the prostaff on TM for $250.

My #1 still has the original Czech Meopta 3x scope.

Name:  brno mod 1.jpg
Views: 4433
Size:  367.8 KB
    Bryan likes this.

Ejected
    As far as customs goes, $365NZD or under including shipping will avoid having to pay gst. People will say $400 but customs adds on their $33? handling fee to round it up to $400.

Quote Originally Posted by john m View Post
    My #1 still has the original Czech Meopta 3x scope.

Attachment 6212
    Thats awesome, thats the type of scope I would really like.

What year is that 1?