Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Stag 9T 9mm

So I fitted the replacement catch tonight. No issues fitting it.
    I turned up a UHMWPE spacer today to reduce the over travel of the bolt on the retract stroke so that it does not have excessive run up to the bolt stop.
    This should extend the life of the bolt stop.
    Reading about the problem on the net, its a common problem with all pistol calibre AR type carbines due to the difference in lengths of the pistol rounds and the 5.56 which results in the bolt getting a run up on the bolt catch and giving it a good wack.
    Hope to run some rounds through it tomorrow to confirm it locks back correctly on the last round. Works fine when racked by hand.
    Name:  IMG_5875.JPG
Views: 656
Size:  182.0 KB
    Beaker and res like this.

So I put 250 rounds down range. Every mag locked open on the last round so all good.
    The 21mm long spacer means the bolt only just locks back. Hopefully this reduces the pounding on the bolt lock.
    Time to load some more ammo.
    Beaker and res like this.

So another 1k rounds down the tube.
    The bolt stop has started to bend and there are some cracks around the pin hole so I think it will last maybe another 1k rounds before it also fails.
    I was hoping the reduced stroke would mean the bolt stop would last longer but it does not look like it will be the case.
    Gunsnz has passed the issue onto Stag and Jim is bringing some spare bolt stop back from Shot Show so for now I will just keep on shooting the crap out of the gun.
    Just ordered a Limbsaver AR15/M4 Collapsible Stock Butt Pad 10019 from reloaders to fit to the stock. I find the adjustable stock just a bit short and the plastic stock can slip of the shoulder sometimes when shooting.
    This should fix both issues.

Would the DPMS pattern AR10 bolt stop work? I read its lower in height and beefed up in strength.
    Welcome to Sako club.

res
    There are hydraulic buffers that claim to help, but they are over the us$100 threshold so makes it very expensive to try out
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    So another 1k rounds down the tube.
    The bolt stop has started to bend and there are some cracks around the pin hole so I think it will last maybe another 1k rounds before it also fails.
    I was hoping the reduced stroke would mean the bolt stop would last longer but it does not look like it will be the case.
    Gunsnz has passed the issue onto Stag and Jim is bringing some spare bolt stop back from Shot Show so for now I will just keep on shooting the crap out of the gun.
    Just ordered a Limbsaver AR15/M4 Collapsible Stock Butt Pad 10019 from reloaders to fit to the stock. I find the adjustable stock just a bit short and the plastic stock can slip of the shoulder sometimes when shooting.
    This should fix both issues.
    How'd you get on with the "Stock butt pad" ?
    I ordered one from Allieexpress on the off chance it fitted one of my 3 adjustable carbine stocks.
    For about $6 usd shipped ,it arrived roughly days later
    Will give it a nudge on sun ,but so far fits and feels good.
    Here's a couple pics of pad and some pics of a couple diff stocks it fits good as gold on .
    Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1454642361367.jpg
Views: 524
Size:  1.13 MB
    Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1454642394378.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  1.07 MB
    Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1454642419795.jpg
Views: 449
    Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1454642541505.jpg
Views: 500
Size:  1.12 MB
    Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1454642593913.jpg
Views: 501
    Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1454642667253.jpg
Views: 554
Size:  910.1 KB
    Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1454642708618.jpg
Views: 585
Size:  993.1 KB
    Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1454642997871.jpg
Views: 571
Size:  995.3 KB
    Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1454643131485.jpg
Views: 647
Size:  879.5 KB

So I fitted the replacement catch tonight. No issues fitting it.
    I turned up a UHMWPE spacer today to reduce the over travel of the bolt on the retract stroke so that it does not have excessive run up to the bolt stop.
    This should extend the life of the bolt stop.
    Reading about the problem on the net, its a common problem with all pistol calibre AR type carbines due to the difference in lengths of the pistol rounds and the 5.56 which results in the bolt getting a run up on the bolt catch and giving it a good wack.
    Hope to run some rounds through it tomorrow to confirm it locks back correctly on the last round. Works fine when racked by hand.
    Attachment 44542
    What kind of buffer are you running ?
    I'm using a RRA 9mm Carbine Buffer ,it also came with a "Spacer to be used with a A2 style BufferTube"
    Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1454644026877.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  902.6 KB
    Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1454644063630.jpg
Views: 520
Size:  761.9 KB

Hi Seano.
    The Stag 9T uses a Stag custom 9mm buffer (Correct length for a carbine length buffer tube and presumably correct weight for 9mm blow back).
    I have added a short spacer (Approx 20mm long) to reduce the over travel past the bolt stop but this did not extend the life of the replacement bolt stop. The replacement catch was off another gun so may have been half stuffed already. GunsNZ have just sent me another 2 bolt stops to replace the second one that snapped off last night.
    The replacements are I believe a different manufacture so will see if they are any better.
    I will be asking for replacements till the issue is fixed. Warranty issue.

Funny enough I added a Limbsaver AR15/M4 Collapsible Stock Butt Pad 10019 last week. $69 from reloaders.
    Fits and works great. Added it as the stock was sometimes slipping from my shoulder and the extra length is good.
    I swapped the Vortex Spark 2 for a Vortex Razor Red dot last week. I like that its smaller and does not block the view but the Spark 2 is just as good in my view plus I can use a 3x magnifier with it for the longer shots.
    Timney 3lb trigger is great.
    The adaptor behind the red dot is for the brass catch I use. I have adaptors on all my guns so I can use the same brass catcher.
    Caldwell AR15 Brass Catcher Picatinny Rail - Magazines - Gun Parts - Reloaders Supplies Ltd

I like shooting. Not so keen on picking up brass.
    Name:  FullSizeRender.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  410.9 KB

Update Time.
    Still breaking bolt catches. 4 broken now.
    Seem to break one every 1500 to 2000 rounds (50 - 75 mag changes, about once every two months).
    NZGuns sending more spares plus they have again passed the issue onto Stag arms. Reducing the stroke of the buffer has improved it but still not the best.

Otherwise this is still one of my favourite guns still.
    Vortex Razor is fantastic.
    Timney trigger is very good but still getting a hammer follow one every 200 odd rounds. Keeping the trigger group clean helps.
    Lula mag loader is a must have.
    Caldweld brass catcher is a must also. I like shooting, not picking up brass.
    Caldwell AR15 Brass Catcher Picatinny Rail - Magazines - Gun Parts - Reloaders Supplies Ltd

The FAB butt stock is great. I now get the perfect cheek weld height and the rubber pad does not slip of my shoulder.
    FAB SHOCK ABSORBING BUTTSTOCK

Name:  FullSizeRender.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  544.0 KB
    199p and Tikka7mm08 like this.

Quick update.
    The timney trigger crapped out tonight.
    Its not quite 4 months old. It will just not reset, both after firing a shot or just cycling the action by hand. Grrr.
    It has only done about 7-8k rounds so its practically brand new.
    Anyway, I ripped it out and have just emailed Hunting and Outdoor Supplies regarding returning it to be repaired under warranty.
    The original Stag trigger is so heavy.

I also broke my last bolt stop last weekend (Number 5).
    Still waiting for a permanent fix from NZGuns / Stag for the broken bolt stops. Now also waiting for more replacements which are on there way apparently.
    In the meantime I will keep shooting the crap out of it.

res
    Damn, very interested in what the bolt stop fix will be
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by res View Post
    Damn, very interested in what the bolt stop fix will be
    Yep I am interested to know as well what the fix is going to be.
    In the mean time as long as they keep sending spare bolt stops I will keep putting up with it.
    Failing that, it will get returned for a refund.

Another quick update.
    The Timney trigger crapped out again yesterday.
    It’s been good since it came back from being fixed (Return screw shaken loose) but now the hammer is following and or going full auto.
    Outdoor Supplies say to send it back again so at least that’s good.
    I have fitted the original Stag trigger again till the replacement turns up again.
    I think the Timney would normally be fine for most applications but it did not like me running repeated V drills.
    I run another on one of my 223's and have not had any issues at all. Round count on the 223 is way behind the Stag that must be close to 10K rounds plus.

Anyone else running high round count aftermarket triggers?
    If so what are you running?

res

Anyone else running high round count aftermarket triggers?
    If so what are you running?
    I have a timmny that has seen Aprox 7k of 223 without any issues.

I wonder if it's something to do with the 9mm blowback speed?
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by res View Post
    I have a timmny that has seen Aprox 7k of 223 without any issues.

I wonder if it's something to do with the 9mm blowback speed?
    The heavy bolt slamming closed may be some of the issue.
    It felt like I needed to actually take my finger of the trigger to ensure it didn’t hammer follow / fire multiple shots.
    I certainly couldn’t feather the trigger without issues.