Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
Like Tree124Likes

Thread: Subsonic project

and NOW you will see WHY so many have given it up........when it works its as good as a arrow...when it doesnt,its as bad as an arrow....
    sorry to hear you have lost a deer,you did your best to find it.
    this is why folks go back to supersonics...and keep subs for really close stuff,finishing off shot and small game where the sheer size of hole is enough.
    Jhon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    and NOW you will see WHY so many have given it up........when it works its as good as a arrow...when it doesnt,its as bad as an arrow....
    sorry to hear you have lost a deer,you did your best to find it.
    this is why folks go back to supersonics...and keep subs for really close stuff,finishing off shot and small game where the sheer size of hole is enough.
    Yeah mate, agreed. I'll dial the range back to 50ish yards and persist. Early days yet. Plenty of supers good to go aswell.
    Micky Duck likes this.

For a second there I thought I was seeing my own rifle but with a different scope,
    I have been down this path for a few years now and settled on 240 gr XTP over AP70 in 44 special cases for the subs and 2205 in 44 mag cases for the big critter hard hitters.

One pro tip I can offer that hasn't been mentioned yet is that if you mount a traditional scope and sight it in for the full power loads, the intersection between the thin and thick section of the vertical cross hear seems to line up with the subsonic POI pretty well from 25 - 70 yds. Its like a crude ballistic reticle. Or you can also do what I ended up doing and fitting a dial turret.

Ironically if you shoot sub loads without the suppressor they also hit the spot where the full powers hit with the suppressor on.
    Micky Duck and Jhon like this.

Quote Originally Posted by longshot View Post
    For a second there I thought I was seeing my own rifle but with a different scope,
    I have been down this path for a few years now and settled on 240 gr XTP over AP70 in 44 special cases for the subs and 2205 in 44 mag cases for the big critter hard hitters.

One pro tip I can offer that hasn't been mentioned yet is that if you mount a traditional scope and sight it in for the full power loads, the intersection between the thin and thick section of the vertical cross hear seems to line up with the subsonic POI pretty well from 25 - 70 yds. Its like a crude ballistic reticle. Or you can also do what I ended up doing and fitting a dial turret.

Ironically if you shoot sub loads without the suppressor they also hit the spot where the full powers hit with the suppressor on.
    I've also noticed what you mentioned about when using a traditional scope, very similar thing worked out for me using a leupold 1.5-4 with subs and full power loads in my bergara single shot.
    How do the subsonic loads sound without the suppressor? Wouldnt mind having a practice load for the rossi lever in the meantime until i can get the mag shortened a bit so I can share the suppressor between the two of them.
    Interesting what you say about lining up with the full powers with the suppressor, might just have to try it at the range next time!

I am also using the leupold 1-4x20

I can’t speak to how loud the subs are without suppressor as when I did the experiment it was at the range with various other canons going off in the vicinity and I was wearing hearing protection

subs without suppressor are quieter or on par with supers with suppressor DEPENDING on barrel length.....try one and see...its not a big bang at all ,more of a pop. no recoil and still useful

Well I haven't done any hunting for a while due to a bad back and waiting for an op. Last couple of weeks it's been OK so went for a lazy walk with the dog and tipped over a billy at 30m. Shot hit low and forwards on the shoulder with the 270gr subs, Billy ran 10m and was dead. Pretty happy with that result and so was the dog.

Name:  20211123_171337.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  852.1 KB
    Bill999, tikka, Moa Hunter and 3 others like this.

Finally got around to getting out with this rifle again. Ran out of Robs 270gr hp, so switched to 250gr SWC lead projectiles, behind 7.5gr of trailboss. Stalked onto a clearing and a pheasant flushed followed by 2 fallow. A central shoulder shot at 40m sealed the deal with Zoe only tracking for 15m to reveal a very dead deer. Slightly larger than caliber exit wound and lots of internal bleeding.

Name:  20240229_193236.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  1.10 MB