Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Take down rifle,

Take down rifle,

Bought a BLR back from Canada, to tuck away in the SUV, and to stuff in the pack, when fly fishing in remote spots, and incase a chance at an easy deer or pig, should one present its self again, of Couse murphy, will make sure that only happens when I don't have it, as has been the case for years,
    who else carries a little take down, my only complaint is the BLR could go on a diet by a lb or two,
    Name:  IMG_0618.jpg
Views: 706
Size:  755.4 KBName:  IMG_0619.jpg
Views: 698
Size:  660.3 KB
    Bryan and stumpy like this.

Very nice, the take down BLR's are hard to find here.

Obviously our rules with transporting firearms makes it a little difficult to carry one all the time in a vehicle, as strictly speaking we need to be able to secure it in the vehicle and be able to see it/or be in it at all times and not leave the vehicle unattended. Which means even stopping off for a piss at a public toilet on route to hunting, or a coffee and pie at the bakery is technically a no-no.

I carry my shortened a-bolt micro 223 most days if I am working in the field and have that in the truck. It's not a take down obviously, but the barrel is now only 14 inches long and with the suppressor on it' still 2 inches shorter than facotry length. Handy for shooting hares, rabbits, pigs, deer from the truck (on private land).
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

res
    I had a takedown blr for a number of years,awesome rifles. A pity leaving one in the car just in case is no no in NZ as would be handy in some parts of the country
    Using Tapatalk

You could get a small day pack to take it with you for a piss or pie? Obviously no ammo. Could even just take the action/stock end with you.

I think at sum stage I am going to tig up a alloy plate, storage lockup, over one of the rear wheel wells, and up to the back of the seat's, and bolt it in, threw the rear wheel arch and back pan, hold a bit of fishing and camping gear, small tent and a bit of grub, and from time to time perhaps, a boom stick.

res
    Quote Originally Posted by southernman View Post
    I think at sum stage I am going to tig up a alloy plate, storage lockup, over one of the rear wheel wells, and up to the back of the seat's, and bolt it in, threw the rear wheel arch and back pan, hold a bit of fishing and camping gear, small tent and a bit of grub, and from time to time perhaps, a boom stick.
    NZ cops are still not happy with that option
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by res View Post
    Which would be surprising really considering we have been led to believe via media that all their patrol cars have Lock Boxes to secure their firearms
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

res
    Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    Which would be surprising really considering we have been led to believe via media that all their patrol cars have Lock Boxes to secure their firearms
    Very much a double standard
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JoshC View Post
    Obviously our rules with transporting firearms makes it a little difficult to carry one all the time in a vehicle, as strictly speaking we need to be able to secure it in the vehicle and be able to see it/or be in it at all times and not leave the vehicle unattended. Which means even stopping off for a piss at a public toilet on route to hunting, or a coffee and pie at the bakery is technically a no-no.
    Just go to a bakery with windows, and park the car in sight of them. Or if the vehicle is locked & alarmed and you're in hearing range of the alarm, that should also count as attended. If I have a firearm in the car and have to leave the car briefly for some reason I also slip the bolt into my pocket when I go, but I guess thats not really an option with a lever action.

Quote Originally Posted by arms code
    ‘Unattended’ means no-one is in, near or able to watch the vehicle.
    screamO likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by res View Post
    Perhaps, however, they will be even less happy, if I carry it into countdown, or a gas station, while getting gas or grub, its a very poorly thought out piece of legislation, that the police them selves, violate, when ever they leave their vehicle.
    If its locked, in a locked vehicle, in a not easily broken into compartment, then its really not so different, that my house is, when I am not at home.
    At one point in time, I used to drop off firearms to the police station in Murchison, when we would go fishing or Kayaking, when having a boys weekend on the Buller, wonder if that's still an option.
    Might have to ask the arms officer, next time I see him.

res
    I used to leave a rifle at the Rotorua cop shop fairly often a few years back while I went mountain biking, was a good system.

I dare say most of us have had to leave a gun in a car at some point for very short amounts of time.
    I have felt weird in restaurants before having a bag with a broken down AR in it at my feet-wondering what the other patrons would think, I'm sure they would preferred it to be in a locked box in and alarmed car if given the option
    Maca49 likes this.
    Using Tapatalk

Ejected
    This police vs civilian thing is a bit of an average argument.
    I would be assuming, but I would think that police cars are very rarely broken into let alone having their firearms stolen.
    Theirs are there for incase of a proper hostile environment, ours a their solely for meat or a decent rack. Hardly apples with apples
    res likes this.

I've asked this before - what of the scenario where you're of no fixed abode in which to have a safe, and are living a nomadic house-bus / camper van lifestyle? There needs to be some security solution that will get AO approval. Except then you could run into differing AO interpretations as you travel.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by stretch View Post
    I've asked this before - what of the scenario where you're of no fixed abode in which to have a safe, and are living a nomadic house-bus / camper van lifestyle? There needs to be some security solution that will get AO approval. Except then you could run into differing AO interpretations as you travel.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    I believe they have been looking at options for this.
    stretch likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by Nibblet View Post
    This police vs civilian thing is a bit of an average argument.
    I would be assuming, but I would think that police cars are very rarely broken into let alone having their firearms stolen.
    Theirs are there for incase of a proper hostile environment, ours a their solely for meat or a decent rack. Hardly apples with apples
    I agree with @Nibblet there is no comparison as police don't need to have an FAL to carry firearms!