Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: where do i stand? what to do?

Don't back down to the buggers - they've tried to fix it once, now they need to step up and replace it. Good luck, hope it gets sorted quick.
    Wirehunt likes this.

supplier seemed like a good bugger when i spoke to him on the phone when i first had the issue looked at and he did say that threading shouldnt void any warranty as i already knew it shot straight so heres hoping he comes to the party again.

Guarantee its something simple. Send it to Abe if they send it back, he will sort that shit out in one night.

Nothing wrong with remingtons, in fact, first real problem I've heard of first hand.

Chris

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar

where do i stand? what to do?

Simple fact is they have to prove legally that the barrel threading resulting in the failure to void a warranty
    It's the same as servicing a new car yourself under warrantee.
    Given you have approached then prior is evidence enough that the issue existed before.
    Small claims will see right

If it goes Boom; I'm there faregame's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanners View Post
    Simple fact is they have to prove legally that the barrel threading resulting in the failure to void a warranty
    It's the same as servicing a new car yourself under warrantee.
    Given you have approached then prior is evidence enough that the issue existed before.
    Small claims will see right
    Yep - its the CGA that counts - great for the consumers thats for sure

had a fight with Havery Norman and Microsoft once over a x-box - HN passed the buck to MS who said no way only 6 months on Hard Drives - even explained that to the mexican (or something) on the phone - so just took a letter to HN explaining what was to happen - and would you know - brand new x-box provided

Just been through similar drama with an SPS SS in 7mmRM. Ordered in the first one. Picked it up and was in the process of mounting the scope bases when I pulled off the Remington flag thingy on the barrel. Underneath was some pretty horrific machining damage. Looked like the tool had picked up something when profiling the outside of the barrel. The bead blasting had partially remedied the damage on one side of the barrel, but not on the side under the paper flag. The damage was several grooves about 1/2" apart along one side for about 7" of the barrel. Cosmetic I know, but dammed ugly.Took it back and it was returned to the importer.
    A few days later a replacement arrived. After a pretty thorough check in the shop off I go to mount the scope and sight it in. First three rounds were ok, but I did observe less than vigorous ejection. The next three failed to eject and had to be removed by hand. After that the extractor would not pull them out of the chamber at all. Back home I compared the SPS bolt with the one from my Sendero (also 7mmRM). The ejector claw on the SPS was barely visible and playing with an empty case it was plain that it would barely (if at all) get hold of the extractor groove. Back goes the second one. New extractor clip sent and fitted. I pick it up again and head off to test it not feeling very confident. Same issue again. Back goes the rifle again. After some delay due to the holiday period it is returned from the importers gun smith. A small hole has been drilled in the bolt radius at the opposite end of the rivet hole that secures the extractor into the bolt face. Back to the range with slightly more confidence this time. It will now extract and eject unfired rounds most of the time, but fired ones not at all. With my patience at an end I return it to the retailer who has also had a guts full of it, and I received a refund. By the way early indications were that it would have been very accurate (on a par with my sendero).
    I have no real complaints about the support from the importer, and the retailer was excellent the whole way through.
    It would seem that Remington are having some quality control issues though, and are doing a shitty job of the final inspection and function check prior to putting the rifles in the box and shipping them. I have had similar issues with a 270WSM model 700 years ago, but this one was fixed first time it went back. I now have three dummy 7mmRM cartridges in my ute and will test the next Remington 7mmRM before buying. Although I would be reluctant to buy one outside of my province as this sorry saga would have been way worse if I had.

Odd that they are both 7 rem mag, maybe excessive headspace issue or something?

In my case the head space was fine. Seems to be a machining issue in the bolt face in the extractor recess. Personally I think the Remington 700 design of the extractor is at its limit with the magnum cartridge head size. A couple of hours on google found a heap of similar complaints and goes some way to explain why Remington still use the riveted extractor in the magnum bolts.

got store credit in the end (long story) so now in the market for a new rifle and of course the age old question what to get (not a 700)

any ideas? 2.5k budget, rings need to be included, not fussed on a calibre change as long as factory ammo is fairly available :|

Kimber

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Hey chris ,alan at whakatane huntnfish has a kimber montana 280ackley with your name on it.
    CreepingDeath likes this.

CZ550
    199p and steven like this.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

What do you want to get out of the rifle. could help narrow your choices a bit.
    VIVA LA HOWA

Quote Originally Posted by von tempsky fan View Post
    Hey chris ,alan at whakatane huntnfish has a kimber montana 280ackley with your name on it.
    Yea? Has he got like 2k worth of 20's with my name on them too?. Haha nah things tight at the moment kimbers a pipe dream for now.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

after goats and smaller out to 650ish. savage lightweight has caught my eye, x-bolt certainly an option.