Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Winchester Model 70 XTR Featherweight

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Great choice Dougie. They're beautiful classic looking rifles. There's something about the feel of them when matched with a nice light scope like the Leupold VX-3 2.5-8x36.

The 7mm/08 is a great deer cartridge which was first brought out by Remington in 1980 after being a popular metallic silhouette and wildcat hunting cartridge for many years prior to that.

I personally like the DPT lightweight suppressors and one of those on the Featherweight would look great.
    Dougie likes this.

What are you going to do with the .260

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hunt4life likes this.
    Dont waste your time chasing every last fps, it doesnt matter in the real world, it wont make a difference, all it will do is cause head aches and frustrations. And dont listen to silly old cunts

Quote Originally Posted by Smiddy View Post
    What are you going to do with the .260
    Black Beauty belongs to the forum - I have shot three deer with it now and will continue to use it until I have a replacement. Then it will go into safekeeping until the right person presents themselves and needs a helping hand, just like I did.
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Lost For Time
    Just got one. Nice rifle.

Name:  Win 70 FWT 7mm08.JPG
Views: 3461
Size:  166.1 KB
    Bryan, Dougie, GravelBen and 4 others like this.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt !

Nice piece of walnut, all together a nice setup

Nice, what Calibre?
    Dan M

Didn't happen to buy it from someone in HB? The guy selling won't answer my calls now. Pretty heartbroken about it actually

She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Nice looking rifles, just remember 'featherweight' is a label not a description I guess... think they weigh in around 7lb, no lighter than most other wood stocked hunting rifles.

I have access to a collection of Winchesters rifle coming up for sale .I will ask my mate if he has one for sale

I just bought a new Model 70 featherweight in 7X57, might move the old featherweight, 7x57, 1972 push feed in very good condition, of to a new owner, out of country right now, if your interested
    The new model 70, I have three now (264 win, 7x57, and 270wsm) are fantastic, got a thread on the other forum, 7x57, less than 1/2" groups with amax, and printing 154gr IL, and 140 accubonds all with in a 1" of each other.
    I have a couple Sako's, but the M70 in a featherweight, has a nice balance in a wood stock, just seam to fit and carry well.
    Nice wood on that rifle posted above.

Lost For Time
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Nice, what Calibre?
    7mm08

Quote Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
    Didn't happen to buy it from someone in HB? The guy selling won't answer my calls now. Pretty heartbroken about it actually
    Yep from down that way but had organised this before the end of last year, So hopefully not the same one Dougie ? Looked at 2 down there actually, The other one was in hunting/fishing Napier.

Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    Nice looking rifles, just remember 'featherweight' is a label not a description I guess... think they weigh in around 7lb, no lighter than most other wood stocked hunting rifles.
    Yep not a "featherweight" as such But will be lighter than my last plastic stock rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by southernman View Post
    I just bought a new Model 70 featherweight in 7X57, might move the old featherweight, 7x57, 1972 push feed in very good condition, of to a new owner, out of country right now, if your interested
    The new model 70, I have three now (264 win, 7x57, and 270wsm) are fantastic, got a thread on the other forum, 7x57, less than 1/2" groups with amax, and printing 154gr IL, and 140 accubonds all with in a 1" of each other.
    I have a couple Sako's, but the M70 in a featherweight, has a nice balance in a wood stock, just seam to fit and carry well.
    Nice wood on that rifle posted above.
    Had a read, Nice rifles. FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 - Winchester Model 70, 7x57, range report.

Quote Originally Posted by BushHunter View Post
    Yep not a "featherweight" as such But will be lighter than my last plastic stock rifle.

All good - wasn't suggesting there is anything wrong with 7lb rifles, both my centrefires (Ruger Hawkeye & Savage American Classic) are around that too. Though not quite as pretty as that Winchester!

northdude
    hey Dougie its happened to me a few times don't worry the right one will come

Lost For Time
    Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post

All good - wasn't suggesting there is anything wrong with 7lb rifles, both my centrefires (Ruger Hawkeye & Savage American Classic) are around that too. Though not quite as pretty as that Winchester!
    I new what you meant If I didn't get a Mod70 a Hawkeye was next on the list.

Yeah it was at H&F but obviously no longer for sale or the guy has thrown his phone off a cliff