Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: Rangiwahia tops mission

Was a few years back now but its about as good as it will get. Just needs constant maintenance.
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

Me too, luv it

Quote Originally Posted by whanahuia View Post
    Value is in the eye of the beholder, but it seems hard to justify when you can get one of these for half as much.
    https://www.hyperlitemountaingear.co...s/southwest-70

I have been using one of these for 5 years and cant fault it.
    Love mine so light - i did buy extra padding for my aging shoulders though

Quote Originally Posted by whanahuia View Post
    Value is in the eye of the beholder, but it seems hard to justify when you can get one of these for half as much.
    https://www.hyperlitemountaingear.co...s/southwest-70

I have been using one of these for 5 years and cant fault it.
    Ive got a 55L one of these. https://fiordlandpacks.nz Light internal frame and padded back. Pretty damn good and light but I would like to try an Exo on to see if they really are the next level. Maybe I could slip into your one some time @199p when Im up your way? Wife is in the States for a month in April and she could bring one back. Cheers
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

They look very similar to the SG I just brought they are an awesome pack.

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk
    199p likes this.

I've trying to ignore the fact that I've got an average pack (Macpac torre) to avoid the cost of these light weight packs. But I probably should update my pack (and other big items) to more comfortable and lightweight gear.
    Last edited by cb14; 20-02-2024 at 09:35 PM.
    Tahr likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by cb14 View Post
    I've trying to ignore the fact that I've got an average pack (Macpac torre) to avoid the cost of these light weight packs. But I probably should update my pack (and other big items) to more comfortable and lightweight gear.
    Did I sell you the Torre (a yellow one)?
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Ive got a 55L one of these. https://fiordlandpacks.nz Light internal frame and padded back. Pretty damn good and light but I would like to try an Exo on to see if they really are the next level. Maybe I could slip into your one some time @199p when Im up your way? Wife is in the States for a month in April and she could bring one back. Cheers
    Yeah mate no worries at all.

There is a few that are all quite close and have the same style
    Mystery ranch
    Kafuru
    Stone glacier
    Exo
    Initial accent

Be nice to be in the usa and havea chance to try them all on but just not an option.
    Was going the sg way but they are releasing a new frame system next year according to a podcast snd when i asked about it they said nothing due this year.

Not gunna lie im.a gearjunkie ahit got to have something too work for.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
    Tahr and cb14 like this.
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

No, but I did buy a second hand one many years ago off trademe and it was red.
    Tahr likes this.

Buy once, cry once. If you are a hunter that walks distances and wants to bring out a lot of meat, a quality backpack with an integrated meat shelf is a great investment. In this scenario, it's not actually how comfortable a pack is at normally hiking weight, it's how it performs under meat weight. They ride better by positioning the weight of meat up against the spine, and will have suitable harness and shoulder straps. This helps if you are a bit older. The reality is the Americans have been at the design of it a lot longer, so it's worth having a look at what they have to offer. If you want a neutral review of 5 leading brands, Jay from Mindful Hunter Reviews spend $5k and a lot of time putting this together https://youtu.be/FdkN_rAeSx0?si=7ruSyiUDB_P1V4Mka

The ultralight backpacks based on the South Western design are brilliant, but they aren't designed to carry heavy hunting loads over longer distances and certainly not at the comfort levels you'll get with a hunting pack. This is where a 2kg+ pack will outperform (and outlive) ultralight bags and the less 1kg difference won't matter.
    "Death - our community's number one killer"

I'd have to say my Mystery Ranch pack is a game changer for carrying weight, streets ahead of the "tramping packs" i used for hunting.