Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
Like Tree200Likes

Thread: Wallaby

If I had to bugger around zeroing and rezeroing clip on, i wouldn't own one.
    Tahr likes this.

Initial zeroing is just a part of fitting a new optic but I agree, It needs to be repeatable every time you refit it, if it wasn't I wouldn't use one either. The e zoom calibration is a 20 second exercise in button pushing but only needed when you change profiles so not a deal breaker.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

Quote Originally Posted by striker View Post
    @Tahr What model do you have?
    I know someone running a Hikmicro Cheetah NV and they run the small square ret in the background of the clip-on and it makes for fast verification that everything is still in check.
    But you are right the Hikmicro clipon image calibration is a head scratcher for a while
    Thunder 35
    striker, Trout and Shearer like this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

The Original Striker
    Name:  20231007_134030.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  429.3 KBName:  20231007_133951.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  211.4 KB

Makes image calibration a breeze
    Tahr and Brian like this.
    Bigger Better Faster Stronger
    Handle the Jandle, or get off the Beach

The Original Striker

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Thunder 35
    I have the same unit but have only used it as a dedicated scope. Might have to try it out on my 223.
    Tahr and Trout like this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    I have the same unit but have only used it as a dedicated scope. Might have to try it out on my 223.
    Whats it like as a dedicated 'scope?
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Whats it like as a dedicated 'scope?
    I have found it good but then it is the only one I have used. I have it mounted on a Pic rail and have swapped it between my. 22lr and 308win. I have it zeroed for both subs and HV in the 308. My only real criticism is battery life with the CR123s but it boots up so quickly I often leave it turned off until I need it. I have also run it on a single 18650 power bank strapped to the stock which works okay.
    Tahr and Micky Duck like this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Something odd that happened on that trip was when putting my Tikka to bed the 4th night I noticed the rear action screw was gone. Never had an action screw disappear before. Don't know how long it had been missing. It didn't seem to make a difference 'cos a shot a wallaby at 460 yds the next day, but I stopped using it 'cos if it moved I didn't want to damage the bedding. Switched to the spare M7 I took. A spare rifle is handy on big trips like that.

I was using 74 grn Targex in the Tikka. They are a good bullet. Bryn made them for me using the 69 grn jackets when he ran out of 80 grn jackets.
    In the M7 I was using 69 grn Targex cos of its 1:9 twist and then when I ran out of them I changed to 52 grn Targex. The 52 grn actually seem to kill better but those heavier bullets are far better in the wind, which there always seems a bit of shooting across gullies.
    Shearer likes this.
    - Rumi

My action screws fell out of my Sako after bouncing around on the front of the quad bike.
    It's the only time I've ever used a toque wrench and that happened, so back to by feel.

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk
    Tahr likes this.

not at all surprised to read you type that about the lighter bullets killing faster on wallabies...
    over the years I have tried lots of projectiles,admitedly only up to the 64grn factory loads but the 50grn really soft projectiles are far and away the most emphatic...the z max Im running now are devastating ...I believe the little bit of extra speed helps the lighter pill blow up better. the 50grn hornady spsx I used years ago was the same.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    not at all surprised to read you type that about the lighter bullets killing faster on wallabies...
    over the years I have tried lots of projectiles,admitedly only up to the 64grn factory loads but the 50grn really soft projectiles are far and away the most emphatic...the z max Im running now are devastating ...I believe the little bit of extra speed helps the lighter pill blow up better. the 50grn hornady spsx I used years ago was the same.
    ive found a significant difference with a 165 gr 30 cal from the 308 to a 300 short mag, that extra 400 fps is devastating.
    Tahr likes this.

In the past I used quite a lot of 52 grain bullets, nosler shots I think they were called. I was told they were developed for roo shooting in Australia.
    Tahr likes this.

well I wont be popular for saying this...but tough shit
    SOME of the farmers in the hunterhills area have nobody but themselves to blame...they would not and still will not allow access onto land to shoot wallabies,pigs or deer,there are small DOC blocks and larger DOC blocks behind that with access through private land between them and NO FIREARMS ALLOWED.... so it in effect causes a huge nursery area look it up. mt nimrod block its a huge area with really piss poor access.
    the forestry blocks used to allow hunting via permit and gate key on weekends..that got shut off 20 years ago.
    DOC doesnt help with access and wont even maintain tracks,like the one through gorse up into hook bush.
    You tell them micky, although if you approach graham Patterson he's not a bad fell, just tell him I send you haha.
    And doc is only interested in doc, if you get my drift.

well I wont be popular for saying this...but tough shit
    SOME of the farmers in the hunterhills area have nobody but themselves to blame...they would not and still will not allow access onto land to shoot wallabies,pigs or deer,there are small DOC blocks and larger DOC blocks behind that with access through private land between them and NO FIREARMS ALLOWED.... so it in effect causes a huge nursery area look it up. mt nimrod block its a huge area with really piss poor access.
    the forestry blocks used to allow hunting via permit and gate key on weekends..that got shut off 20 years ago.
    DOC doesnt help with access and wont even maintain tracks,like the one through gorse up into hook bush.
    You tell them micky. I've gone off DOC in a big way ,when collecting my wapiti area permit to find staff flat out selling junk to tourists, would not surprise me the money being used for BBQ and side trips.

Oops bloody phone wont do as it's told.