Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Hunting Vehicle - What too buy

Hunting Vehicle - What too buy

So some here may know of the issues i have had over the last 12 months with my BT50.
    While "shit happens" we have been without it for nearly 2 months out of the last 12 due to what actually seems lack of knowledge by various repairers or "waiting on parts".

No too mention i do not believe we should have had these issues with a 6 year old vehicle which has traveled less than 110,000 in its life

Since it is also my wifes "town car" this is slightly inconvenient for her. Not too mention its a bit nice to drve down shitty tracks etc.
    We are considering buying a second truck so that I have something to use for hunting, dogs are allowed in etc and so missus has a vehicle if the BT50 poos itself for a 3rd time.

So I have been looking at (and I can't believe I am saying this ), Hiluxs and something between 2003 -2005 that has not done a million Kms and costs a million bucks (maybe arround $20K, less is better more maybe possible.

Any other suggestions would be great. I would prefer to stay away from a truck(s) with a common rail and goddamn ecus that control everything.
    I have been led to believe the 2005 Hiluxs were the last of the non common rail ones.

What too look for??
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

I don't get a huge amount of 4x4s through work, but Navaras seem to be good for 4 figure bills every time. Anytime I need Ford/Mazda bits new and genuine from the Stealership has me swearing as they are the biggest pack of fuckwits on Planet Earth ( r at least the local three which are all tied together). I deal with all the various Akl central dealerships (Mcmillan BMW, Coutts, Autohaus, Andrew Simms, all of the Giltrap web, Armstrong Toyota, BM Workshop, everyone) in varying capacities as a customer and a supplier, and dealing with Ford always requires a deep breath before I pick up the phone, they are diabolical.

Thought about a D-max?
    300CALMAN likes this.

Thought about a D-max?
    I have thought about bloody every brand. But they all have horror storys (at least it seems the modern ones
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

And for those who don't know last year my BT50 blew all the water out of the radiator. Vehicle was covered by a "extended warranty / insurance policy"

Local "small garage" pulled off head expecting to find it was cracked but it was OK.
    They could not understand where the problem was and I 'suggested" they look at the EGR cooler after a bit of a google for common faults.
    Then ensued a long shit fight between the insurer and garage as to who was at fault with the "incorrect diagnosis" and who was paying. We ended up foorting the bill but got the insurance company to re-imberse us.
    Protecta looked after us in the end and everything has gone great till the "engine" light came on at end of May. This time the truck went to the Dealership.
    First the ECU was faulty and then replaced and then (now ) the wiring loom is faulty and been coming ex japan for last 3 weeks. It was supposed to be 10 days but was lost in transit. Finally I get a call this morning to say parts arrived and get this "fingers crossed it will be all sorted tomorrow" . WTF - fingers crossed, I would not get away with that in my job. Anyway thats how we got to here
    veitnamcam, Kiwi Greg and madjon_ like this.

Just buy a non turbo 3 Litre hilux and the only thing you'll have to moan about is it being slow.
    veitnamcam and kokako like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    Just buy a non turbo 3 Litre hilux and the only thing you'll have to moan about is it being slow.
    Slow I can handle, same as my own "hill climbing abilities"

You want slow and steady... 80 series landy with 300+ on it
    Pengy, Nibblet and andrem like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    Even the 05 series hiluxs had their issues, first of the shitters from Toyota. I know guys will die to be first in line to bag me for that statement, but have first hand experience of those and the last of my direct Toyota experience (for a reason!).

Every agency is having issues with what you've experienced, seems the training these days is more to parts swapping and how to look convincing when you throw your hands up in the air than actual diagnosis and fixing things...
    I actually think I meant 2003-2004 as the 2005 ones seem to be the "newer" shape

I would not dare tell one of my clients "fingers crossed" as an having oopsie at sea is a rather big boo boo.

northdude
    probably not what you are looking for and way under your price range but my suzuki escudo/vitara has been great for a hunting wagon saves a lot of walking not the most power full or lightning fast and soft sand will suck the power out of it pretty fast but i got it for hunting and for what i paid for it i cant really fault it

Mikee you need a horse and cart, slow reliable, gas efficient, eco friendly and you can take the cart off for the bush!
    mikee likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Isuzu and Suzuk are both under rated. My best hunting Toyota was my old 1976 2x4 Corrola, much cheaper than a Hilux and I didn't give a sh** if someone broke the window on Clements mill rd!
    Pengy and northdude like this.

@mikee
    Whatever you get, just make damn sure it is flash enough for the dogs
    Munsey likes this.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Quote Originally Posted by Pengy View Post
    @mikee
    Whatever you get, just make damn sure it is flash enough for the dogs
    Grace is looking forward to not have to rid in the back
    Pengy likes this.

Courier/bounty are worth a look

Nissan Safari. Job done.
    Timmay, Brian, gadgetman and 1 others like this.