Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By No.3
  • 1 Post By 199p

Thread: Truck Canopy Guru ... ?

Truck Canopy Guru ... ?

Got a niggly leak letting water into my ARB Ascent canopy on my Ford Ranger. The water enters at the front join bewteen the canopy and wellside and the fix probably involves lifting the canopy off and either repairing or replacing the seal before reattaching the canopy. I have spaoken to two Auckalnd area ARB dealers who estimate around $250.00 - $300.00 to do the job. I would attempt it myself to save the expense if I was properly set up but in this case need to ask a professional service.
    Can anybody recommend a good Auckland area operator who could takle this at reasonable cost ?
    Thanks for any help. Cheers.

Im tight with my money but.....$250-300 equates to what??? four hours labour one person or two hours for two people and $50 worth of materials....
    cant see one person doing the job on thier own so MAYBE that quoted price isnt all that unreasonable???
    75/15/10 black powder matters

I lifted mine with help from the wife, turned it over and cleaned all the gook off and set it back on with silicone sealant held good, then it had to go in to the panel shop they lifted it and put it back on and now it leaks in the 2 front corners, not much but enough to be annoying. I think its a common fault with canopies.
    Happy Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    Im tight with my money but.....$250-300 equates to what??? four hours labour one person or two hours for two people and $50 worth of materials....
    cant see one person doing the job on thier own so MAYBE that quoted price isnt all that unreasonable???
    Roughly, equates to 2 hours @ $138.00 / hr plus an assumed new seal. Yes, probably a two man job.
    Even if the fix was simpler and quicker they would probably want to charge close to this anyway.
    Quite likely I'm tighter than you with my money MD and as you suggest, maybe not an entirely unreasonable quote but in my mind I can't see that it justifying more than $200.00 tops.
    But I do have a sort of gnawing feeling I'll end up sucking it up and just paying the quoted rate.

I have lifted mine off by myself and cracked both sides of the canopy below the side windows. Ya learn stuff all the time.

Huh, I fitted one all by myself (cause I had no mates...).

It's not that hard provided you do it carefully. If you have the time spare $50 of materials vs the full cost plus you can afford to take extra time to make sure it's right and fully sealed. You might not have to drop it fully off too, just pack it up on timbers the full width of the tub.
    m101a1 and witchcraft like this.

All our 2020 BT50 work Utes leak, it drives me nuts!!

@199p you've probably had more experience than most mate

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk

last roll of dam stop i bought for a canopy was about 50-60 dollars i would say try your local panelshop but since makepiece and henderson seem to have gone i dont know if there are any good ones left in puke..... you can do it yourself by letting the bolts go and chocking the canopy up off the tray rather than lifting it right off (you only need a few inches.)if you take it right off there maybe a high stop light which needs to be disconnected but thats no biggy . on occassion we have had to use some screen seal in addition to the dam stop tape if the canopy wasnt moulded perfect. which brings up another option of a cheap fix if you know where the leak is. just squirt some screen seal in (not silicon or urethane you dont want it to set )

250-300 bucks sounds ok for this day and age. No ones going to do it for nothing...

Quote Originally Posted by Bushline View Post
    All our 2020 BT50 work Utes leak, it drives me nuts!!
    Yeah, nothing worse. Any canopy that sits on the top of the tub can develop a leak - the type that sit on top with the side of the canopy rolling down over the side of the tub (Fleetline have models that do this) are a lot more leak resistant. I have a Fleetline on my Ranger that is designed to not have any leaks, all the door openings have mouldings and channels in the fibreglass to direct any runoff away and down so you can stand under the doors without water pissing down on you. 11 years, no leaks so far. Not in a real hurry to get rid of the thing to be fair, I'm happier with the devil I know even with all it's faults than starting again from scratch having to discover all the glitches on the fly.

Yeah my next gen is looking like its getting its 3rd full replacement from arb
    Its still leaking bad trying its been on and off a bunch of times and replaced with a new unit already but to get the upgraded one for free
    apparently the cheaper ones are far more prone to it especially on the next gen.

Apart from it still leaking arb have been great to deal with, it must have been back to them 15 times so far they are just as fed up with it as i am.
    Still got 4 years of warranty left haha
    XR500 likes this.
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

Ouch. That sort of downtime is what concerns me about changing out vehicles, at least the one I have now I can manage the downtime (put another way it still runs despite the annoying glitch). I dunno why the new vehicles are so prone to leaking canopy seals - it's not like its new tech or anything! If I didn't need the separate spaces (one for passengers and another for cargo) I'd be more keen to get an SUV style vehicle than a ute that likely leaks like a sieve. What a piss off!

While it's off check the seal around the front glass, that's where mine leaked. Presented as a front base seal leak

I would have a flat deck if we didn't fill the canopy with stuff when we are away caravanning.
    Happy Jack.