Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: 10/22 guru's

10/22 guru's

Tinkered with the trigger on my 10/22 (first one I did is great) and am getting the odd slam fire and light primer strike any thoughts

Show us the tinkering that you have done

Quote Originally Posted by Mintie View Post
    Show us the tinkering that you have done
    I'll try and get pics but basics like polishing the sear beveling the back of the bolt and polishing the sides and top of the bolt and drilled the hole in the back for the cleaning rod

Could be that its not going fully into battery. Check bolt face stuff is clean and breechface.

This could be multiple things?. Sear engagement is one i.e trigger release and engagement , debris in/around firing pin & trigger mechanism , dirty action , assembly of trigger ? etc . But the first port of call should always be a through clean tip to toe .

It’s hard to diagnose over the internet so take what I say with a grain of salt but given you said you polished parts of the bolt and your now getting slam fires and light strikes I would consider the possibility of grit residue in the firing pin channel causing friction or complete firing pin lock up.
    Solution ? flush / clean and blast with compressed air or completely remove firing pin and clean it and the channel and reinstall and carefully test fire
    Good luck

Thanks for the replies I've stripped it all again cleaned it and reassembled will test it again hopefully during the week

First up check your headspace in the bolt face, which is a good idea anyway.

It's all been said above, but to narrow it down, does it slam-fire because the hammer rides the bolt into battery (trigger sear issue) or otherwise the firing pin is not free in the groove, which would also cause the light strikes.
    The only Government to trust: .45-70

When it was slam firing it was letting 2 rounds go on one trigger pull,the light primer strike ones there was no click or anything when you ejected the round it had a light firing pin strike on it

Sounds like the sear doing the double taps without seeing it. Had an old winchester that did the same thing

Stripped and cleaned now it's not resetting, if you hand cock it it works as it should, but once fired it will chamber the second round but isn't resetting the firing pin and the bullet has a light primer strike, rack by hand and it repeats, no double fires though so have one problem sorted

Are you shooting subs or supers?,

As above, hard to diagnose over the internet, but sounds like the bolt isn't running all the way back with recoil. Not going far enough back to cock the hammer inside the trigger mech but going far enough back to skim a round from the mag. So when it runs forward, it pushes a round into the chamber and the partially cocked hammer drops on the round causing the lite strike.

Conjecture again due to online diagnosis, but possibly beveling the back of the bolt, removed the section of the bolt that was previously pushing the hammer back into cocked position?.

I figured out a long time ago that messing with a fire control group. with limited knowledge ant tools isn't smart

even a gunsmith will be very reluctant to take metal away from the engagement surfaces they may give a very light polish to remove burrs but for the most part they do not remove any metal. innless absolutely required and if so, it will be done extremely carefully and accurately. one thou or 0.25mm can make a massive difference like the difference between a safe trigger and and unsafe trigger.

gunsmith trigger jobs normally consist of adjusting spring tensions. this is reversable if you get it wrong. unlike removing metal

take your rifle to a gunsmith!

I figured out a long time ago that messing with a fire control group. with limited knowledge ant tools isn't smart

even a gunsmith will be very reluctant to take metal away from the engagement surfaces they may give a very light polish to remove burrs but for the most part they do not remove any metal. innless absolutely required and if so, it will be done extremely carefully and accurately. one thou or 0.25mm can make a massive difference like the difference between a safe trigger and and unsafe trigger.

gunsmith trigger jobs normally consist of adjusting spring tensions. this is reversable if you get it wrong. unlike removing metal

take your rifle to a gunsmith!
    yeah_na_missed likes this.

Yep, and you can say that again.