Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Any Ruger guru’s about?

Any Ruger guru’s about?

I’m sure theirs someone around here who’s abit of a Ruger enthusiast, my question is about this lovely little rifles stock did they come like this or am I right in suspecting it’s being swapped? Year of manufacture is 1992 typically wearing the “skeleton” or “paddle” stock . Rock solid half cock terrible trigger and weighs a ton but damn it’s nice.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    RUMPY likes this.

nah pretty sure they came like that too...mate had one in left hand... it was definately wood.
    jakewire likes this.

Caretaker
    Have seen a few with timber stock

Nearly always in 270 or rem mag for some reason
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

cause 270 uses have good taste perhaps LOL....
    RUMPY likes this.

Nice to no thanks gents this is a .223 22” barrel by the looks of it
    Micky Duck and caberslash like this.

is a very lovely looking rifle,whatever the cartridge.... be proud to own it,that is for sure.

I got one brand new in the early 90's with wooden stock in 2506 - m77 mk2 as well. Then got another one a few years later in 223 that came with a laminated stock.
    Micky Duck and Kelton like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    is a very lovely looking rifle,whatever the cartridge.... be proud to own it,that is for sure.
    It sure is it won’t be getting cut or suppressed either if I decide a suppressor is necessary when the young fella comes of age it might wear a new shorter barrel but this barrel will be kept clean safe and original in respect of its vintage in which case It’d be cheaper to get him another rifle any how
    bumblefoot and Micky Duck like this.

that how I feel about all my rifles,all are threaded but none are shortened...... if I decide I really need a short rifle again...will buy another LOL...
    7mmsaum likes this.

Had one too. Blued wood 308 MK2. The stock cracked on mine behind the magwell, there was very little wood left there on that rifle.
    Nothing is tough about having a 70 lb bow and looking like an uncoordinated praying mantis while trying to draw it back.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Yeah they came like that
    I always thought Ruger Walnut rifles had their stock shape worked out perfectly especially the Hawkeye model, they looked to me like a rifle should.
    File photo of the African model.
    Name:  Ruger Hawkeye African.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  6.3 KB
    rugerman, Micky Duck and Kelton like this.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

It is a great shape that African looks stunning the polished stainless on these is a lot it’d look good blasted or cerocoated black it’d really be my cup of tea but I appreciate how it is and will leave it that way. The checkering is also very well done and it’s flat at the back of the tang rather than round which is odd but likeable enough I’ll take a couple of photos for reference tomorrow
    Micky Duck likes this.

@Kelton My first new centrefire was a Ruger M77 in 270. I suppose it was a Mk 1? Bought it about 1981-ish for $434 from Sutherland Sports. Paid a deposit and took it home with a laybuy book and went to New Plymouth from Stratford every Friday night in my old Morris Minor to pay it off. Can't imagine doing that now.

A beautiful wooden stock rifle with a thin red recoil pad, accurate too. It was my most prized possession. My mum hit the roof because as I was only on about $55-60 a week as a butchery apprentice then. I eventually sold that rifle and still regret it to this day.....

@bumblefoot did it have a tang safety? I think the mk1 did . I’ve acquired another in 9.3x62 not sure if it’s a mk1 or mk11 yet as I’ve only handled it once and didn’t pay much attention it’s action was silky smooth maybe the best I’ve used . It’d being trued up and rebarreled from a 7x57 for hunting wild cattle . Blued and synthetic not the paddle stock . Was a total stranger at the range about mid 60s got Charing gave me a few shots and I said in passing if you ever want to sell it let me no. He’s a resourceful bugger because I can’t even recall his name (which was bugging me for months) and he’s managed to track me down threw my mitre 10 rep

@Kelton Yes it had the tang safety, was a lovely rifle.... If only I knew the serial number I'd try to find it! But; I'd better stop talking about because I'm not sure how waterproof the keyboard is.... Too many tears of regret!