Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Cell phones

Cell phones

me old I phone 4 is sadly at end of life - been great phone but no longer will receive email - so new phone - now not that techo on them but I bet someone on here is - choice is I phone SE at about $700 ish or there seems to be I phone 11 still around at same sort of price - which one - advise please from some tech type - not interested in other brands -

Auckland, until I can escape south....to Southland.
    I’ve gone from an iPhone 6 to an 11.
    It has a slightly larger screen than the 6, the box just says iPhone 11
    Has a quick charger, which is handy, about 40 mins to fully charge.
    I’m happy with it.
    He nui to ngaromanga, he iti to putanga.

You depart with mighty boasts, but you come back having done little.
    Sounds like a typical hunting trip !

Some cellphones are useless! At least mine was as it couldn’t swim and now rests on the lake floor. Wife gave me her iPhone 8 which seems to work well. She purloined the iPhone 13 I thought was my replacement.
    Micky Duck, keneff and XR500 like this.

iPhones are shit, overpriced, shit battery life, shit reception, fragile, pretty mediocre features for the money you spend.
    Have a Oppo Reno 8 thats been awesome so far, great camera, fast, been dropped in water and from height several times and it's still mint, gets good reception and the battery actually lasts longer than a day using it heaps. Have an iPhone 11 that we got given with our new silage wagon last year to run the apps it has and it's terrible, has to be plugged in the whole time as the battery dies even though it's only running an app and Bluetooth to the silage wagon a couple hours a day max. My wife has iPhone 13 and it drops calls all the time. Apple are very good at marketing and that's about it, might be good "city phones" but I wouldn't have one.
    Trout, johnd, erniec and 10 others like this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    iPhones are shit, overpriced, shit battery life, shit reception, fragile, pretty mediocre features for the money you spend.
    Have a Oppo Reno 8 thats been awesome so far, great camera, fast, been dropped in water and from height several times and it's still mint, gets good reception and the battery actually lasts longer than a day using it heaps. Have an iPhone 11 that we got given with our new silage wagon last year to run the apps it has and it's terrible, has to be plugged in the whole time as the battery dies even though it's only running an app and Bluetooth to the silage wagon a couple hours a day max. My wife has iPhone 13 and it drops calls all the time. Apple are very good at marketing and that's about it, might be good "city phones" but I wouldn't have one.
    A silage wagon that runs on apps??? We are all doomed

But yeah, the oppo reno has a good rep.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by XR500 View Post
    A silage wagon that runs on apps??? We are all doomed

But yeah, the oppo reno has a good rep.
    Has scales on it and you can use the app to see how much you're feeding to each herd etc. I can also log into it from home and see where the guys have fed out and how much etc. Pretty good tool actually
    Trout and Micky Duck like this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

OK.
    We're at opposite ends of the farming scale, so I can see the value of that.

Me? When the bale has disappeared from the feeder I know that X cows have Y kgs DM

40 year old tractor and 35 year old feeder = no wifi
    Micky Duck likes this.

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry the hunter View Post
    me old I phone 4 is sadly at end of life - been great phone but no longer will receive email - so new phone - now not that techo on them but I bet someone on here is - choice is I phone SE at about $700 ish or there seems to be I phone 11 still around at same sort of price - which one - advise please from some tech type - not interested in other brands -
    Newer iPhones are too big for me, so I'd consider the SE, or an iPhone 12 mini if you can find one. In terms of performance, the second generation SE should have the same performance as the iPhone 11, so it just comes down to physical size preference.

I positively hate anything Apple, so an Iphone will never be a consideration for me.

So currently using a Samsung due to several reasons but will be swapping that out as soon as I can due to not liking all the extra stuff you can't uninstall, work colleague has a Ulophone huge battery life can get 4 days out of it with fairly heavy use or an Oppo. The Ulophone runs stock Android with no overlays so nothing you don't need.

I have a few different phones,latest was a cast off from daughter.my first go at a touch screen so I could use topo50 app....
    to be completely honest I preferred the more simple phones.txt call and photo only....all the other crap just keeps clogging up system and telling me to delete stuff to make room..... might end up rejigging my basic nokia for landsar work...txt and call only but battery will last a week easy.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Currently using my iPhone 7, purchased 2017, after wife liked my later one. Phone runs fine, opposite to ryan_songhurst experience. Only drawback is battery life but some android phones are just as bad. Phone has been dropped on concrete from height and dropped in water a time or two, still runs fine. Had iPhone 5s beforehand and ruggedised androids before that. Work in remote locations and in workshop environment as well as hunting and phone does alright. Would buy another iPhone. Just my 2c.

I've switched to the cat brand of phone having killed a couple of Samsung's. The cat takes a heap of abuse and is still going strong, screen is getting a bit past it now
    Micky Duck likes this.

I have an IPhone 11. It’s really good. Even been for a swim to the bottom of a header tank in a loft willst I was using the light and changing out the ball cock.
    Yeah they have there limits but don’t they all.
    Sure there’s stuff about apple that annoys me but the neighbor has a Samsung that ups and starts calling random numbers

Oh it survived the swim no worries
    Micky Duck likes this.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Also Stewart Island trip and loads of other places. I do have it in a life proof case. But it needs it for my job.
    No phone would last five minutes with what I do so a good case is a must.
    As for battery life. You have to let them run out. Or they just get that battery fade.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

MB
    Something about Apple seems to push people's buttons, same as Tikkas. iPhones generally just work for me, apart from the update that killed my iPhone 7. Still sore about that, so don't update anymore. You do need to understand the settings and turn off all the unnecessary shit to maximise performance and battery life.
    Sideshow and Mohawk .308 like this.