Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Maxtoch

I can easy de dome the maxtoch for you next week.

The thing with colour tint is the blue part of the spectrum goes through the dome and the rest is filtered out, then once the dome is off the rest of the spectrum comes through so is a lot warmer, but the blue component is the same. Blue tends to shock your eyes into thinking WOW this is bright, because its not natural. When the warm colour comes through your eye is like MEH, so doesnt make as big a difference to the layman.

Ill bring my lux meter over too. Its the bullshit detector from nam

Chris

No 100r SMD's sorry Chris, though I could probably find some.

Trouble with driving the LED's too hard is that the efficiency drops very low and the runtime with it. The internal resistance of the batteries and control/protection boards becomes a large factor. The good thing with just a de-dome and better heat sinking of the LED is you still maintain the original runtime.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Couple of points I would make here re comparing the Dereelight XSearcher with a Maxtoch. Longest throw alone does not make for the best hunting torch.

The Dereelight is an excellent torch but like lights of its type it has distinct limitations. It gains distance using a large aspheric (convex) lens by creating a very narrow pencil beam - there is almost no flood. This means it is not good as a spotlight type torch and is not much good at 0-100m shooting (and paddock scanning) for which you need a light with both good throw and beam width. If you use a dereelight you will also need another broader beam light.

With the Maxtochs you have XML2 technology which provides good throw standard, while retaining spotlight beam width as well. It means one torch for all purposes - rifle mounting, handheld spot, long throw plus beam width. If even longer throw is needed the 3 minute dedome will jump a standard 2S from 70k to around 160k. This is around 800m range (ANSI) while retaining good beam width. A couple of other tweaks and its 200-250k lux. My modded 2X runs at 230k and has huge distance - with good flood.

We tested a number of aspheric lens setups over the years but chose the Maxtoch type large reflector XML2s because they were alot better as all purpose hunting lights. They were also about 1/2 the cost of the new Dereelights landed.

If I was after a pencil beam type light the Dereelight would be my choice, but the XML2 Maxtochs have alot more usefulness as an all purpose hunting light for our conditions.
    Last edited by mudgripz; 06-12-2013 at 11:26 PM.
    moonhunt likes this.

R93

Maxtoch

I don't know all the techo shit about lights, but I have shot plenty of animals using all manner of lights and have a good idea what is required of a good light.
    The new dereelight x search pisses all over any led type lights I have used. There is simply no comparison to any lights of its size, especially the maxtoch, which I have.
    It has more than enough flood, which is adjustable anyway.
    It completely drowns out the maxtoch in any configuration. Any muppet using both can see the degreelight is a far superior light for a hunting application. It is just simply, a better light no question.
    On size, weight and with one battery it is more compact and easily mounted making it not only a better light source, but more practical as well IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    moonhunt likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Agreed.

Aspheric has many uses, but just not for close range rabbits. And the maxtoch isnt even the best for that either, but each to his own I spose.

I have a single 18650 reflector based light at the moment that puts out 165,000 lux. Its about 3/4 the beam size of the sn6x-2x. I also have some that put out 120,000 lux, single 18650, with a bigger beam than sn6x-2x, its just that it takes 60 mins of work, you cant just buy them off the shelf.

Just finished up modding the first of my sn6x-2x's, 350,000 lux. Havent maxed it out yet either, mid 4's and I will be done

GM I stripped a 10 amp driver I had here and had to parallel some r200s.

Chris

R93

Maxtoch

Quote Originally Posted by crnkin View Post
    Agreed.

Aspheric has many uses, but just not for close range rabbits. And the maxtoch isnt even the best for that either, but each to his own I spose.

I have a single 18650 reflector based light at the moment that puts out 165,000 lux. Its about 3/4 the beam size of the sn6x-2x. I also have some that put out 120,000 lux, single 18650, with a bigger beam than sn6x-2x, its just that it takes 60 mins of work, you cant just buy them off the shelf.

Just finished up modding the first of my sn6x-2x's, 350,000 lux. Havent maxed it out yet either, mid 4's and I will be done

Chris
    I will leave my maxtoch with Abe Chris. If that can be modified to match or better the x search I would be really keen to see how much the x search can be improved.
    The aspherical lens on the x search has a surprisingly, decent amount of flood. As much as the SN6X-2S I have and the spot is slightly larger. My nighteater has no flood in comparison but I used that mounted. I never struggled finding my target. Rabbits would be a different story but I do not chase many with a light.
    The x search will be mounted and I plan to buy another for scanning.
    I will sort you some beers or the like if you get her humming Chris.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sweet I'll grab it next week, drop it off the week after.

Dont worry about beers or anything, don't really drink these days now I'm old haha.

Chris

R93
    Sweet I'll grab it next week, drop it off the week after.

Dont worry about beers or anything, don't really drink these days now I'm old haha.

Chris
    Abe was supposed to pick me up for a hunt tuesday arvo. I stood out in the rain pacing my front gate for hours, but he never showed
    I was going to leave the maxtoch with him so he could give it to you. I'm back in Oz and the light is at home. I will see if the cook can get it up to him.

Also apologies to mudz. I found under better testing conditions, the x search did lack the flood of the maxtoch in a paddock even when adjusted right out. It was heaps gruntier and has an awesome LR spot, but I reckon would it would be a disadvantage on things like rabbits. Fine for larger things.
    Last edited by R93; 12-12-2013 at 08:25 PM.

AB Precision
    Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Abe was supposed to pick me up for a hunt tuesday arvo. I stood out in the rain pacing my front gate for hours, but he never showed
    I was going to leave the maxtoch with him so he could give it to you. I'm back in Oz and the light is at home. I will see if the cook can get it up to him.

Also apologies to mudz. I found the x search did lack the flood of the maxtoch in a paddock even when adjusted right out. It was heaps gruntier and has an awesome LR spot, but I reckon would it would be a disadvantage on things like rabbits. Fine for larger things.

I thought that was Wednesday until I seen you post you where sitting at airport then went oops lol. Sorry mate!! His new one is bright but is quite pointy gets to the point how much light does one need haha

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by tui_man2 View Post
    I thought that was Wednesday until I seen you post you where sitting at airport then went oops lol. Sorry mate!! His new one is bright but is quite pointy gets to the point how much light does one need haha

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk

No worries mate. I was buggered and the river would have been up, limiting us a bit. I am home again in a couple weeks. We can smash a few redskins then.
    Your contact to get things from home is buggered now eh? I will see if the cook is going to Grey over the weekend.
    I am seriously interested to see how much better Chris can get these things to go.

We couldn't really tell because it was raining, but it measures about 4x more than stock, 2x more than Abe's.

It's interesting tho because Abe prefers a much different light to what I do, even though our uses are similar.

Mudz is different again, it's just personal preference.

I'll leave one or three with Abe next week for you to test over Xmas

Chur

R93
    We couldn't really tell because it was raining, but it measures about 4x more than stock, 2x more than Abe's.

It's interesting tho because Abe prefers a much different light to what I do, even though our uses are similar.

Mudz is different again, it's just personal preference.

I'll leave one or three with Abe next week for you to test over Xmas

Chur
    Thats the go, thanks Chris. I will then be able to compare them to what I have and see if I need anything done. Really appreciate it, Ta.

Apology accepted R93 - yes for finding bunnies in big station paddocks etc you do need both flood and spot which is where the Maxtochs do well - but these days all of our Maxtochs are immediately dedomed. This keeps most of the flood but gives alot more distance.

For example - neighbour bought 3 of the 2S Maxtochs and gadgetman dedomed them over the weekend. They went from 70k lux to an average of 156k. The dedoming took 5 minutes and no cost for each light. Gives about 800 meters range ANSI. My main hunting maxtoch - an earlier SN - runs at 175k and picks up big animal bodies to 500 yards without scope.

My 2X runs at 230k and lights up the station managers cream house at 1002 meters easily. A 2X running at 350-450k would be quite amazing. That's out to 1.3 kilometers distance ANSI - huge! You can do so much in a few minutes with these things.

The Xsearcher sounds like it has a more general purpose beam than earlier models - sounds a good light. What did it cost to bring into NZ - I see they are $118US at the moment from Dereelight - plus post/insurance I guess.

R93
    Paid $139 Oz dollars and delivered home to NZ from Dereelight. Wasnt to bad I thought.

Chris
    @crnkin

I've stripped out a dead laptop power adapter and scavenged 4 100ohm SMD's. Could probably find a heap more. How many you looking for?
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!