Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: New tent needed

Guna go in and have a look at the macpac minaret next week and see what I think, sale is on for a while. Cheers for the advice and help guys

Caretaker
    Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    Guna go in and have a look at the macpac minaret next week and see what I think, sale is on for a while. Cheers for the advice and help guys
    Have a geez @ the Apollo while your there
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

I've spent plenty of nights in Macpac Minarets and Olympuses in interesting places, they've always done the job.

I have an old Fairydown Assault alpine tent which will shrug off pretty much any weather you can throw at it but weighs 3.5kg, and a Mont Bell Chronos which weighs the same 2.4kg as a Minaret but I'm not sure how well it would stand up to a serious storm on the tops. More of a 3 season than proper alpine tent - inner clips to poles instead of threading through sleeves etc.

It depends what you'll be doing with it though, my tent needs have been dictated more by mountaineering than hunting but not everyone needs a tent to handle alpine use.

Keep an eye on Macpac's sales. Some are better than others. Just after christmas I bought the macpac Olympus for $499 and they had the minaret for $449. I watched the sales via getting their emails for about 3 months and they differ a bit. I decided on the olympus over the minaret cause i wanted the extra room inside. There wasn't much difference in price at the time. Olympus is heavier but you can split the tent up between two people to share the weight.

MSR Hubba Hubba are great tents, but most forget they are a lightweight 3 season tent. Not designed for the sort of winds on the tops. From memory there tested to 60mph continuous winds with guy lines attached.

Use the twin zips on fly to increase airflow/venting to reduce condensation.

Macpac are good but heavier ,design and materials havent changed much in the last 10 years by the looks of them.

Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    I have an old Fairydown Assault alpine tent which will shrug off pretty much any weather you can throw at it but weighs 3.5kg, .
    Yeah I have an Exped Venus II it's a really well built and sturdy tent with lots of good features, storage, room for 2, and a ton of attachment points for guys etc. But it weighs 3 kg with everything.

SiB
    I don't know if you can still get them but I rate my Marmot 2person. 1.1kg with everything in the bag. Has taken some not insignificant wind too.

SiB
    And that's external wind not the internal "can you smell petrol?" variety before some wag suggests otherwise.
    Ryan_Songhurst likes this.

Got a Mont Bell Stella Ridge II that I could sell if you were interested... 2 person 4 season alpine tent... complete with footprint... I think 1.4kgs + footprint... in excellent condition.. probably less than 20 nights use...
    Ryan_Songhurst likes this.

Exped Orion, Better waterproofing than most on market, built like tanks and dont weigh a tone.
    longrange308 likes this.

Went with the minaret, they didnt tel me till I was walking out the door it wasnt seam sealed and I had to do it myself with supplied gunk.... Normal? Get it home and it has 4 guys and 8 attachment points.... And only just enuff pegs, not enuff if u us all the spots, just as well I have 6 extras as i'm guna need them

just bought a Marmot Tungsten 1P from Cabelas. Its US$140, and youshop will deliver.

Went with the minaret, they didnt tel me till I was walking out the door it wasnt seam sealed and I had to do it myself with supplied gunk.... Normal? Get it home and it has 4 guys and 8 attachment points.... And only just enuff pegs, not enuff if u us all the spots, just as well I have 6 extras as i'm guna need them
    most lightweight tents are like that, allows them to make great sounding overall weight claims