Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: Opinions on Nightforce in Real World

Opinions on Nightforce in Real World

Hey folks,

Headed out on a trip for a fairly decent chunk of time and thinking about returning with a scope seeing as I've sold most of the ones I had spare on rifles or otherwise didn't suit my rifle build. Thinking about getting a Nightforce as I quite like how rugged they are and with my young fella in the forefront of my mind I want something he can use and I don't need to stress about him dropping or some stupid crap.

Currently looking at the NXS 2.5-10x42 or the SHV 3-10x42, the main difference is the reticle options (I really don't know how an all red reticle would perform in the bush, hence why looking at the all black SHV reticle) and the lack of a elevation turret on the SHV- a couple of my military buddies are telling me its not issue and makes more sense to just utilise the lines in the reticle for faster target acquisitions etc and I do see their point, however are there any aftermarket add ons for the SHV to make it an adjustable turret with a ZeroLock?

Really wanting a "light" and compact scope to sort my centre of balance issues on the rifle so these are the main two options, also how much of a hassle is it to bring scopes back into NZ- any tips or tricks are appreciated,

Cheers

Caretaker
    Strong and reliable for EVERY day use

Name:  IMG_4383.jpeg
Views: 701
Size:  4.13 MB
    outdoorlad, tikka, BRADS and 5 others like this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    Strong and reliable for EVERY day use

Attachment 235017
    Thats a thing of beauty mate!!

The nxs isn’t a red reticle, it’s black normally and then when you turn on illumination it, illuminates

NXS would be my pick, or nx8 which is what I use currently on my hunting rifle
    SikaHuntaa likes this.

I would go up to the NXS. Lightweight isn’t an option with NF scopes so if that isn’t so important to you then you should be happy.
    woods223 and SikaHuntaa like this.

Bos
    If youre looking for something "light and compact for a young fella", then Nightforce is what you DONT want
    199p, chainsaw, woods223 and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by stagstalker View Post
    I would go up to the NXS. Lightweight isn’t an option with NF scopes so if that isn’t so important to you then you should be happy.
    The 2.5-10x42 is the exception.

If you want lightweight it's really hard to go past Leupold.
    If you want reliability it's hard to go past NF.
    tikka and SikaHuntaa like this.

Opinions on Nightforce in Real World

Where is Andy when you need him?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The NXS 2.5-10x42 has amazing glass it certainly won't disappoint

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 6x47 View Post
    Where is Andy when you need him?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Out hammering staples with a NF?
    outdoorlad, BRADS, Moutere and 4 others like this.

Got a nxs , and various others NF scopes
    Why ,cause they shot over Leopold, I sent 5x leupolds back due to broken cross hair
    (1) canted crosshair(4) for various clients
    Won't touch em
    They not light , but they are clear
    As good as March or Any of the European makes
    Only come to their own on the last light / 1st light , middle of day hunting buy
    a cheap thrasco
    NF Bloody bomber scopes , m8 dropped his of top of ute at 80km/h moving between property hit bitumen ,never lost zero
    Another m8 house burned down , scope on rifle in Safe. SEND IT In ASKED nF to repair ( lenses still clear , but external looked rough) nf replaced with new without cost
    U are a nf fan or u h8 em
    I'd buy another . Just make sure u go mil reticle miles turret or moa retold, moa turret
    DONT MIX EM LIKD SOME FOOLS DO
    Mil turret , moa reticle or vice versa
    Ifvu around chch ,happy to show it to u
    SikaHuntaa likes this.

I’ve got the shv model you’re looking at, it’s on a work gun. I can’t fault it, it’s had a few knocks and doesn’t need to get zeroed much, I rate the red dot but that me as I use them a bit. Would buy another
    SikaHuntaa likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SikaHuntaa View Post
    Hey folks,

Headed out on a trip for a fairly decent chunk of time and thinking about returning with a scope seeing as I've sold most of the ones I had spare on rifles or otherwise didn't suit my rifle build. Thinking about getting a Nightforce as I quite like how rugged they are and with my young fella in the forefront of my mind I want something he can use and I don't need to stress about him dropping or some stupid crap.

Currently looking at the NXS 2.5-10x42 or the SHV 3-10x42, the main difference is the reticle options (I really don't know how an all red reticle would perform in the bush, hence why looking at the all black SHV reticle) and the lack of a elevation turret on the SHV- a couple of my military buddies are telling me its not issue and makes more sense to just utilise the lines in the reticle for faster target acquisitions etc and I do see their point, however are there any aftermarket add ons for the SHV to make it an adjustable turret with a ZeroLock?

Really wanting a "light" and compact scope to sort my centre of balance issues on the rifle so these are the main two options, also how much of a hassle is it to bring scopes back into NZ- any tips or tricks are appreciated,

Cheers
    Look up the Bushnell Elite Tacticals, specifically the LRHS 3-12X44

Have 3 of those scopes. Had an NXS for work.

Made in the same factory *Light Optical Works, but with NF you pay for the name (which is actually Lightforce, the bloke rebranded and opened a US 'factory' to win military contracts).

Everything with the NF name has a premium markup on it, scopes, mounts, hats, shirts etc.

Would be able to recommend them of they had better reticles for hunting and not target shooting in the middle of the day, but they don't.

Without illumination (carry a spare battery), you'll have difficulty seeing them in some light conditions, which is the hallmark of bad design.

Their NXS series needs to be revamped with a locking elevation turret and capped/locking windage. Tried that with the ATAC-R but then Leupold sued them for copying their CDS-L turret.

Credit to the founder, Dr. Raymond (Ray) Dennis, for the marketing, but kudos to the Japanese who got him off the ground by actually made the things!
    Moa Hunter, SikaHuntaa and TimC like this.

Never had a 2.5-10, but had a SHV 3-14 with MOAR reticle on a rifle I used for hunting, varminting(Jackal, caracal & warthog) and short range comp(50 to 400m).

Cant go wrong with Nightforce, I've used various 8-32 NXS's on my main compitition rifles. If I have to buy tomorrow - Ill buy Nightforce again and again.

On my mountain rifle I used a Leupy 4 -12. Older model but SO handy, and clear as the day I bought it.
    Micky Duck and SikaHuntaa like this.

I have three 8-32 NXSs for comp guns and once had a 5-25 ATAC-R. The Atac has better glass than the NXS and its light transmission must be way better as the NXSs are far darker (plain dim compared to a HM March). Their reliability makes them fine for comp use though 32X isn't enough for F-Open. Never had one fail on me. I haven't tried a 15-55 Comp NF but these are apparently similar glass to Atacs.
    SikaHuntaa likes this.