Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree80Likes

Thread: Lake Ōkataina closed!!

AR7
    I gather they want control of the rain, bores and springs and tax us on all of the above
    but if there is a flood NO compensation would be paid as there are too many reg. owners so nothing would happen
    So get out there and have a good drink from todays rain ,,wash under your armpits as tomorrow [in a few weeks ] it could be all different

Still nothing further from Fish & game & Sunday is rapidly approaching. It would be interesting to see if the ramp has been blocked. Does anyone know?

Name:  IMG_5790.jpeg
Views: 258
Size:  542.1 KB
    Not my photo but the answer to above question boat ramp is blocked alright

Quote Originally Posted by Double tap View Post
    Attachment 234369
    Not my photo but the answer to above question boat ramp is blocked alright
    The Council GIS shows that the paper road actually extends some way into the lake bed. Where are the police and Council at when it comes to stopping illegal actions by groups of people from stopping New Zealanders from enjoying rights such as those set out in the Lakes Settlement Act. The Act is very clear in that the use of the lake for recreation by the public is protected.

The only legal way for people to be stopped from using and accessing the lake for recreational purposes is a bio security notice from MPI. None have been issued. If I dumped rocks on a public road the police would take action.

Does anyone know what Todd Mclay has said about this (fishing & hunting minister in waiting)?

There was always a rumour that the public would be stopped from accessing the lake and I always thought that was nonsense. I’ve been proven wrong.

Rotoiti, Tarawera and Taupo will be next.

https://www.mpi.govt.nz/news/media-r...na-from-clams/
    Unfortunately this is being put in place for a month.
    omark likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Double tap View Post
    https://www.mpi.govt.nz/news/media-r...na-from-clams/
    Unfortunately this is being put in place for a month.
    It will never re-open. People from the Bay of Plenty could apply for a permit but how could you use the lake with the ramp blocked!!
    The other lakes will be next

MB
    When we lost Kai Iwi Lakes, I couldn't believe how little fuss was made. It pretty much came down to a few grumpy old trout fishers moaning. Besides, it's Northland and no one cares what happens up here. I was afraid it would set a precedent...
    300CALMAN and omark like this.

I guess there could be some middle ground, perhaps a dozen 12ft tinnies that are hireable to Joe Public and dedicated to remain on Lake Okataina.

We all know the phrase "life gives you lemons make......"

Controlled platform that no one is prepaired to stand up for . if you let them stop you from fishing or boating it will carry on to other sectors . Funny how people have given up the fight to survive
    omark and Localman like this.

If the reason is that many Okataina fishers come from the Waikato, could the same not be said about skiers using Rotoma? Bloody glad I moved south tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by trapperjohn View Post
    I guess there could be some middle ground, perhaps a dozen 12ft tinnies that are hireable to Joe Public and dedicated to remain on Lake Okataina.

We all know the phrase "life gives you lemons make......"
    My boat has never been to the Waikato so why not just ban boats from there.

Quote Originally Posted by kawekakid View Post
    Controlled platform that no one is prepaired to stand up for . if you let them stop you from fishing or boating it will carry on to other sectors . Funny how people have given up the fight to survive
    I have hope that the Fish&Game guys might put the pressure on the faceless bureaucrats at the Councils to do what they say in the mpi notice ie some form of washing system. God knows how that will work.
    Woody likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ingrid 51 View Post
    If the reason is that many Okataina fishers come from the Waikato, could the same not be said about skiers using Rotoma? Bloody glad I moved south tbh.
    You busy catching salmon in the lakes down there?

Quote Originally Posted by omark View Post
    You busy catching salmon in the lakes down there?
    Been ultra busy making changes to this place mate. Got x2 weekend hunts with son planned plus a dad n lad cray trip to Kaikoura later next month. Currently have house lot of grandies, but have renewed fishing licence as Shirley and I are heading to West Coast for a week soon.

I wonder when the bureaucrats will ban importation of aquarium fish? Okataina os a single entry lake bit there are few others that could be policed. If the golden clams have been established in the lower Waikato river for at least 2 years I guess the boats and birds will have spfead the spat far and wide by now, just like catfish. A very few places such as Okataina may stay free of them for a while but despite pfecautions an incursion is eventually likely via birds or suchlike even there. Other major use lakes in the waikato river catchment including Taupo are likely already infected so unlikely to be restricted but public awareness campaigns like Didymo Daves might help. In any event the regional councils and DoC need to step up and do their jobs.
    F&G should not be pilloried for this.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.