Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree80Likes

Thread: Lake Ōkataina closed!!

Most likely scenario for spreading the clams originally is hitching a ride with a migrating bird - the things breed without a partner at a fearsome rate. Once in a waterway, no one anywhere has managed to eradicate them and that is the issue (along with the fact that the thing will effectively strip mine the waterways and out-compete everything else for food).

In defence of the Iwi here - do we do the usual thing and wait for someone to bowl over from the waikato with their trailer boat and drag a piece of weed with them that has a few 1mm-size spat on it straight into a fairly clean (currently) lake and infest that? There are already a couple of areas where there are invasive weed species in the lake. Or, do we take the second option - and while the size and effect of the invasive species is quantified protect the area and the only way to do it is close the door?

I dunno, I'm seeing both sides of this - Okataina is unique in it's setup and one of the 'special' NZ lakes for me, I would not want to see if infested and ecologically damaged through someone doing something ignorant.

MB
    I believe this is about access and flexing muscle, that was certainly the case up here. Non-invasive species and environmental concerns are very convenient in this context. With regional councils falling over themselves to please Iwi and appear "green", common sense doesn't stand much of a chance.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    I believe this is about access and flexing muscle, that was certainly the case up here. Non-invasive species and environmental concerns are very convenient in this context. With regional councils falling over themselves to please Iwi and appear "green", common sense doesn't stand much of a chance.
    I've worked in the sector of invasive species protection, while there may be some form of control element (flexing muscles) - my experience is that we are getting a lot more responsive to incursions of invasive species as we should. If there is any muscle flexing going on, it's directed towards giving the controlling authority a rocket. In my size up this isn't a Waikaremoana type situation, if it was there would be a tank ditch straight across the sole access road just after the driveway into the lodge...

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by No.3 View Post
    In my size up this isn't a Waikaremoana type situation, if it was there would be a tank ditch straight across the sole access road just after the driveway into the lodge...
    Instead we have rocks across a boat ramp.

I hope you're right and I'm wrong!
    Micky Duck likes this.

so.....what if you deep clean your boat,get it certified as such and leave it there.... or reclean before each visit....
    if the didimo goons had been serious about the job it may have already been a thing..say $15 for a hose down and light clorinated bleech spray..either accept it and pay or bugger off. a local boat sticker and HUGE fine if caught elsewhere with it . that way if okataina is your lake of choice,you can still enjoy your fishing there..but no taking boat elsewhere....a big lockup compound wouldnt be that silly of idea,hell if someone would build one up at fairlie and have minimal charge there is no way in hell my boat would be here in Geraldine killing the patch of lawn LOL.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Temporary closure to let them get cleaning stations in place.

"Lake Ōkataina holds special cultural significance to Ngāti Tarāwhai because it contains a drowned pa site and other submerged Māori archaeological features. It is also a popular trout fishing lake and its popularity with fishers, many who travel from Waikato, makes it vulnerable. It is also a lake of high ecological value, and these features are recognised by certain restrictions already placed on some lake uses," says Mr Anderson.

"Biosecurity New Zealand is taking a cautious and balanced approach to managing this clam that allows people to enjoy our lakes and rivers while protecting them from this invasive shellfish."

Over the temporary closure period, boat cleaning facilities will be installed to provide assurance that boats entering the lake are free of freshwater gold clams.

Cleaning stations will also be installed in the Waikato to help river and lake users meet Check Clean Dry requirements. The first station should be in place in about 3 weeks at Lake Karāpiro and options are being worked through to put cleaning stations at all major boat ramps.

"We appreciate people want to get on Lake Ōkataina at the start of the trout fishing season, but a small sacrifice this month goes a long way towards preserving it for generations to come," says Mr Anderson.

"Once we have the facilities to ensure all boats coming into the lake are clam-free, the lake will be open to enjoy for the remainder of the season."
    Last edited by HG Man; 29-09-2023 at 04:27 PM.
    Woody, Shamus_ and No.3 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by omark View Post
    My boat has never been to the Waikato so why not just ban boats from there.
    How would you go about banning boats? I get what you are saying, but theres not really a way to do that is there?

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Instead we have rocks across a boat ramp.

I hope you're right and I'm wrong!
    It's only riprap boulders, easy to pick up and relocate.

My concern is this sort of thing can become control by stealth, I also ask why do Iwi get final say on these kind of situations.
    Surely there are mkitigation plans that could be put in place and what’s next? Every other lake around Rotorua?

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter595 View Post
    My concern is this sort of thing can become control by stealth, I also ask why do Iwi get final say on these kind of situations.
    Surely there are mkitigation plans that could be put in place and what’s next? Every other lake around Rotorua?
    Not as such - this is pretty much the test case. It has always been weeds, not organisms that reproduce by themselves to the tune of thousands a day...

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter595 View Post
    What’s crazy is that MPI and the regional council have done absolutely nothing about the risk at the source. Ie you can go skiing on lake karapiro in a ballast holding ski/wakeboard boat and then drive to Rotoiti or tarawera (where you are able to ski).

The source should be closed ie karapiro until MPI get their act together.

None of these boats visit okataina as.
    1.there is a ban on skiing & wakeboarding
    2 there is a ban on jet skis
    3. The tortuous drive in and the launching facilities mean that the boat users are all hard core trout fisherman.

I believe that the Maori groups mentioned have simply been waiting for the right moment/excuse to stop public access and MPI have set a dangerous precedent.

Let’s wait & see what the new minister of Hunting & fishing Todd Mclay has to say in a months time and what action F&G take.

I dunno, there's a lot more boats that use Karapiro than just ski boats. I hear the limited use in comparison for Okataina though, you aren't going to launch a trailerable gin palace there that easily. Having said that we've chucked some fairly sizeable work barges etc into there.

The limiting factor for closing the lake to fishing is that the trout will start giving the ecosystem a bit of a hard time as well, I'd be surprised if it was to be a permanent thing for that reason alone.

Quote Originally Posted by No.3 View Post
    I dunno, there's a lot more boats that use Karapiro than just ski boats. I hear the limited use in comparison for Okataina though, you aren't going to launch a trailerable gin palace there that easily. Having said that we've chucked some fairly sizeable work barges etc into there.

The limiting factor for closing the lake to fishing is that the trout will start giving the ecosystem a bit of a hard time as well, I'd be surprised if it was to be a permanent thing for that reason alone.
    Not if F&G are stopped from releasing. I doubt it would boom as a wild fishery

IF as the quoted bit says they are going to do the cleaning on site thing...it shouldnt be that big of problem..and if you combined that with lockable storage yard..a workable solution...hell somewhere to chain your tinny too and take eggbeater home with you would work. I would happily pay a couple of hundy bucks for storage at or near lake for the boat year round..save a hell of a lot of fuel towing it back n forth.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Micky it’s an isolated site with no ability to leave boats there at a road end. If the iwi are serious they could set up a decontamination area for trailers in the lodge site ( like a sheep dip that you could back into to submerse your trailer) and charge MPI for the privilege.

There is no room or infrastructure to do much more.