Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: techniques

Cant beat a torpedo

Quote Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
    OK, so for this soft bait stuff. What rod, reel and braid are people using or recommend?
    I've only used them once on a charter, bloody good gear (read bloody expensive), but before I get that level, I'd like to get a rod and reel around $300 to give it a bash
    In my experience it can be hard going around Aukers with artificials. I think it might be the sediment and/or current. Go out a bit further and they will work but I have still found bait to generally be better. Saying that jigs have worked OK further out at times, gurnard seem to like the shimano lucanis jigs. However most of the snapper I have caught in the last few years (and kingi) have been on a small jig rod with braid and bait. Cheating? most of my fishing has been off charters so the first to the bottom is often the first in.

The fancy soft bait rods are nice but the cheaper ones are often OK if you get a decent reel. Soft bait reels take a hammering. I have a bit of gear you can try out... It mostly sit's round at the moment.
    stingray and Beaker like this.

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    There is certainly some difference between north and south fish and there preferences, I have given artificials a pretty good bash and the ONLY snapper I have ever caught on one(120grm fanky) was in nearly 100m of water of the top of Durvil island so nearly the north island
    There are a few people down here who use them exclusively but very few indeed.
    Here at least I find anything be it jig soft bait or just a bit of rag will catch a blue cod or kahawai when they are on the bite,gurnard also like softys and slow jigs, barracuda will take anything you throw at them but I have not heard of anyone out-catching bait yet unless chasing kings.
    Im looking forward to next weekend and maybe @Shearer will show us southys how good the artificial are.

Funnily enough mate, my Mrs was talking about moving to Nelson. The hunting would be so much better, but in all fairness, I think the fishing would ahem, different

Quote Originally Posted by MightyBoosh View Post
    Funnily enough mate, my Mrs was talking about moving to Nelson. The hunting would be so much better, but in all fairness, I think the fishing would ahem, different
    Certainly different....with the ski you would have the speed and ability to launch to get in and out fishing some great spots during weather windows....but yes not comparable to the fishing up north.
    MB likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

There is certainly some difference between north and south fish and there preferences, I have given artificials a pretty good bash and the ONLY snapper I have ever caught on one(120grm fanky) was in nearly 100m of water of the top of Durvil island so nearly the north island
    There are a few people down here who use them exclusively but very few indeed.
    Here at least I find anything be it jig soft bait or just a bit of rag will catch a blue cod or kahawai when they are on the bite,gurnard also like softys and slow jigs, barracuda will take anything you throw at them but I have not heard of anyone out-catching bait yet unless chasing kings.
    Im looking forward to next weekend and maybe @Shearer will show us southys how good the artificial are.
    Gee thank's Cam. No pressure eh.
    I have caught a couple of snapper off the rocks down here on hard lures thought.
    Hopefully the fishing will improve a bit over the next couple of weeks. Even you have been doing it hard lately eh?
    veitnamcam, gadgetman and stingray like this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

I found this worked well for me at the time, and in fact pretty much everywhere too
    Name:  P4090305.JPG
Views: 174
Size:  50.5 KB
    stingray and Lore like this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    Gee thank's Cam. No pressure eh.
    I have caught a couple of snapper off the rocks down here on hard lures thought.
    Hopefully the fishing will improve a bit over the next couple of weeks. Even you have been doing it hard lately eh?
    Yea a little.

Sent from my SM-A320Y using Tapatalk
    Beaker and Shearer like this.

Quote Originally Posted by nelpop View Post
    Cant beat a torpedo
    That’s one step away from buying fish from the supermarket
    stingray and Beaker like this.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

techniques

Quote Originally Posted by 300CALMAN View Post
    In my experience it can be hard going around Aukers with artificials. I think it might be the sediment and/or current. Go out a bit further and they will work but I have still found bait to generally be better. Saying that jigs have worked OK further out at times, gurnard seem to like the shimano lucanis jigs. However most of the snapper I have caught in the last few years (and kingi) have been on a small jig rod with braid and bait. Cheating? most of my fishing has been off charters so the first to the bottom is often the first in.

The fancy soft bait rods are nice but the cheaper ones are often OK if you get a decent reel. Soft bait reels take a hammering. I have a bit of gear you can try out... It mostly sit's round at the moment.
    Yeah, but it’s the rod that gives you the feel, I like a rod made from at least an IM7 graphite blank, IM8 is even better but the downside is that it becomes very fragile, I have broken 3 in the past few years.
    Cheaper rods I find too whippy and seem to bend along their entirety instead of progressively, they lack feedback but can still work, just not as nice to use.

I fish with a baitcaster so I like a 6’ 6” rod but with a short butt, not with the reel halfway up the rod like most of the ones that are available.

With baitcasters you get what you pay for, a shimano curado is the minimum I would go, the cheaper ones don’t seem to last.
    I know sfa about egg beaters...
    veitnamcam, stingray and Beaker like this.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

techniques

I suppose softbait setups are a similar thing to scopes.

Yep, a vortex diamondback/bushnell trophy will work fine and probably be quite accurate, but once you have used high end optics you will never want to go back to entry level.
    They are just that much nicer to use.
    But no drama buying a cheaper setup to see if it works for you before upgrading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    veitnamcam and Beaker like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudattack View Post

Yep, a vortex diamondback/bushnell trophy will work fine and probably be quite accurate, but once you have used high end optics you will never want to go back to entry level.
    But no drama buying a cheaper setup to see if it works for you before upgrading.

MB
    OK, so for this soft bait stuff. What rod, reel and braid are people using or recommend?
    I've only used them once on a charter, bloody good gear (read bloody expensive), but before I get that level, I'd like to get a rod and reel around $300 to give it a bash
    Beaker, this is a good deal.

https://www.burnsco.co.nz/shop/fishi...ci4-4000-combo

Just note that it would be ideal for heavier end of sofbating. Depending on what you want it for, it might be worth asking if you can downgrade the reel to a 2500 and the rod to the 3-6 kg version. The 2500/3-6kg is my got to go softbaiting outfit and it's bloody awesome!
    Spudattack and Beaker like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudattack View Post

I hear ya - buy once cry twice etc...
    However I am expecting some rough barstards fishing with me, so I'll save the good one for me
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

I hear ya - buy once cry twice etc...
    However I am expecting some rough barstards fishing with me, so I'll save the good one for me
    Good plan.....I nearly shit myself when a kid I had taken out almost lost my over 500 buck jigging combo over the side when two big kahawai smashed the flasher rig at once!.....Burnsco had a special on 50 bucks rod real and spooled with rubber band. I bought it and put 20p braid on it which doubled its cost but its caught some good fish so far and I wont cry like a baby if it goes OB or gets stood on.
    Pictured here.

gadgetman, Spudattack and Beaker like this.

Good plan.....I nearly shit myself when a kid I had taken out almost lost my over 500 buck jigging combo over the side when two big kahawai smashed the flasher rig at once!.....Burnsco had a special on 50 bucks rod real and spooled with rubber band. I bought it and put 20p braid on it which doubled its cost but its caught some good fish so far and I wont cry like a baby if it goes OB or gets stood on.
    Pictured here.

Oh yeah and kids will be fishing with me to
    veitnamcam likes this.
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....