Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree115Likes

Thread: What do you do to keep fit?

What do you do to keep fit?

The Missus had our little one a month ago and isn't so keen on me heading out until after christmas.
    suits me fine, the freezer is full anyway but I am a little worried about losing too much conditioning, especially after covid wrecked me a few months back.

so what do you all do to keep your fitness up for hunting outside of, you know, walkig up and down mountains?

MB
    It comes and goes with me. I hate doing exercise for the sake of it. I don't enjoy it and don't feel good afterwards. That said, I need to be in reasonable shape to do two of my hobbies, hunting and diving. After a lazy winter, got a wake up call, did my first dive of the "season", an easy shore dive for crayfish and was buggered. Needed to do something about that, so up and down our local mountain whenever I can. It's 400m pretty much straight up on a DOC track. Horrible walk, but a nice view at the top. After two weeks, the difference is noticeable.

As the prophet Steve Rinella said, to get fit for hunting, do the kind of exercise you would do when hunting, or something like that.
    outdoorlad, 199p, Savage1 and 5 others like this.

Gone but not forgotten
    I have found even a few days doing a bit on the exercise bike helps.

Banned
    Diet is the most important, if you bung up your cardiovascular system and gain weight, fitness will fall off fast. Look up the 'Korean War study' (Diet, autopsy ) also this https://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=t&rc...9vMaUJWKrYMkIf

Half an hour of biking flat out will help with hill fitness and can be done in the dark
    rewa and RV1 like this.

Ned
    Every day, do something. And do it as early as possible so it's done.
    Jog or bike is better than walking. Brisk walk is better than nothing.
    And some strength work too.
    Getting old and back country trips are infrequent so I'm a lot more focused now on keeping up functional strength. Core/stability and strength work to protect ankles, knees and hips.
    Half hour walk or 2 a day with the dog and the odd bike ride to push the hr up now rather than the running and cycling I used to do.
    Moa Hunter, RV1 and CBH Australia like this.

MB
    I do agree that some exercise is better than none, but if you want to get hunting fit, you're going to need to get the heart pumping and a sweat on. Sadly, evening strolls through the park are going to do it.
    rewa and CBH Australia like this.

yeah, Im trying to bike to work a couple of times a week (68km round trip) which will hopefully keep the worst of the spiderwebs off, once the little one gets a bit bigger I can use them for rucing practice I suppose
    Beaker, Moa Hunter, MB and 2 others like this.

Dave Sharp an ex Schol teacher and former guide on Ngamatea had the perfect answer. Take small steps. That way you dont get buggered and keep a constant place. He burned off a few guys with that simple philosophy.

Quote Originally Posted by TeRei View Post
    Dave Sharp an ex Schol teacher and former guide on Ngamatea had the perfect answer. Take small steps. That way you dont get buggered and keep a constant place. He burned off a few guys with that simple philosophy.
    Also reduces stress on the joints.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    The Biggest Room is the Room for Improvement

All I do for fitness is work haha but I work in the hills so match fit

Exercise 5 days week, running for a minimum of 30 minutes a day either on the hills around the farm or up the road. If the weather is really nasty ill hit the spin bike for 45 minutes.
    Through in a few weights, some planks and sit ups for the core and some press ups and call it done.
    Once the mind is used to its easy as, just don't let your mind talk you out of it will try!
    My day certainly goes a lot better after some exercise.
    Those weekends off make it all worth it.

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk
    Savage1, Moa Hunter, rewa and 1 others like this.

Work !!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Maca49, gonetropo and rewa like this.
    Its not what you get but what you give that makes a life !!

Not enough. I try to run 20 min per day on the tread mill. Its hard sometimes after you've been on the go for 14 hrs.

I've cut right back on alcohol, carbs. etc. Live a much healthier lifestyle now.

lost a bit of weight and feel a lot better.
    Moa Hunter, rewa and RV1 like this.

Training for events (Queenstown marathon and coast to coast next up) keeps me fit but ultimately its beer that does it. There no way I'd sign up to these events if I was sober haha
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tac a1 View Post
    Not enough. I try to run 20 min per day on the tread mill. Its hard sometimes after you've been on the go for 14 hrs.

I've cut right back on alcohol, carbs. etc. Live a much healthier lifestyle now.

lost a bit of weight and feel a lot better.
    cut back on sugar too!

i go the gym for strength and should start a 5km run schedule soon as my dives are very average.
    rewa likes this.