Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: .577 snider enfield

I fired one of these a bloke had at the range once. I only remember it vaguely but at some point remember him hammering part of the gun with a wooden mallet between firings. Heaven knows what exactly, I cant precisely remember but I only had the one shot and left it at that

It was either a muzzle loader and he was ramming the charge, or it was a snider and he was tapping the breechblock to get a stuck case out. They have no primary extraction.
    Bet you had fun shooting it though.

Saw a few beautiful double-rifles in Africa, couple of years ago. Heaps disappeared from Zim, when Rob the-nob started disarming the white population. Browning hi-powers are rife over there though, nearly put one in my pocket, on one hilarious occasion

Saw a few beautiful double-rifles in Africa, couple of years ago. Heaps disappeared from Zim, when Rob the-nob disarmed the white population. 9mm Browning hi-powers are rife over there though, nearly put one in my pocket, on one hilarious occasion

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    It was either a muzzle loader and he was ramming the charge, or it was a snider and he was tapping the breechblock to get a stuck case out. They have no primary extraction.
    Might have been the second option then mate, it was definitely a breech loader. Yes it was a nice shooter, not too bad recoil either.

I use a post at the range to bump the breech block rearward.The chamber gets sticky after a couple of shots.

If there is no one around I use the heel of my boot.
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    Or he was tapping the end of the cartridge to get it into the chamber, I’m an expert at it!!
    Tasbay, Marty Henry and norsk like this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by norsk View Post
    I use a post at the range to bump the breech block rearward.The chamber gets sticky after a couple of shots.

If there is no one around I use the heel of my boot.
    So do I, and I've got a wooden dowel cut at an angle for getting tighties in, the come out much easier after firing funnily enough.
    Maca49 likes this.

Actually that rings a bell, and for the record the case necks looked like they had some splits as well. I was pretty young so figured the fella knew what he was doing,