Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: 6.5x55 new barrel or new gun

6.5x55 new barrel or new gun

Hey guys. My first centrfire. A Husqvarna. I learnt a lot with reloading, fitting timney trigger and glass bedding. The barrel is worn out. Not surprising for a gun over 100 years old. I like long range shooting. I have a great 7mm mag for the big stuff but would still like a lighter caliber. Is it worth getting a custom barrel or should I ditch it and put my money towards a new gun? It would need a decent scope too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It all depends on your budget.

The 6.5x55 is a great calibre, you've got all the nice goodies that goes with it. Replace the barrel would be my suggestion.
    Would it be worth changing the barrel? Yes it is. Barrels are an consumable, to be replaced when warn out.

If something about the rifle or the calibre bothers you, sell it amd get a new gun. You might loose a ton of money selling the old gun.

Beautifull rifle by the way.
    johnino likes this.

Yeah I like the gun and I’ve spent a lot of time on load development. Just need assurance that it’s worth carrying on with I guess. Thanks

northdude
    ive still got my first center fire a sporter m96 ive had mine rebarreled so people do do it yours is a nice looking rifle so i would rebarrel it if you like it
    johnino likes this.

Rebarrelled, you have muscle memory and learned reflexes for that, changing to a different rifle will mean a period of adjustment.
    johnino likes this.

Banned
    I would keep my eyes out for a nice modern used 6.5 x 55 myself for the same money as rebarrel.
    I assume you're using lower pressure loads in the m96?
    johnino likes this.

You can often buy a fantastic rifle for the cost of a rebarrel
    Then you have two rifles
    It costs around a grand to rebarrel
    johnino likes this.

mmm pity you are so far away. I think I have small ring mauser (husky 1600 thread?) out in the shed. Sneaky suspicion its 243 and cant comment on condition.
    Could've had that for a couple of beers. need to have look
    Edit: found them. actually 2-ones a 280 imp. Rifling so-so in both although the 280 is marginally better in the 280. Throats are a bit naff in both but at least the 280 has a bit of meat there if you wanted to do a bit of a mild shorten up maybe? the 280 looks the same thread as the 243. Measure 0.985" with the digi verniers and as small rings are meant to be 980" I'd say they are on the money.
    Pity you aren't close enough to have a squiz.

Name:  husky barrels (1).jpg
Views: 521
Size:  6.42 MB

Name:  husky barrels (2).jpg
Views: 479
Size:  4.67 MB

Name:  husky barrels (3).jpg
Views: 528
Size:  4.09 MB
    Last edited by csmiffy; 09-04-2020 at 11:16 AM.
    johnino likes this.

northdude
    It also depends on what kind of guy you are as well if you're they type of person that has to always have the latest or flashiest rifle out there a rebarrel probably wont cut it buy the looks of it you've put a bit of time and money into that rifle to get it how you want it and to me it's a nice looking rifle and quality as well if it was me I'd be looking at a walther barrel which is available in nz and get it chambered in x55 again should have yourself a pretty decent shooter which will be a little bit unique you already have the gear for x55 and all you'll need to do is a little bit of load development as the throat will be different that's my 2c
    johnino likes this.

What makes you say the barrel is worn out? Have you considered cutting the last inch or two or back boring it to see if that helps? If you’re going to remove it then nothing to lose - you might be surprised...
    johnino and stevodog like this.

Gunworks have some Mauser barrels listed on their site, 308 though. Not sure if they would be compatible with your husky though?

https://www.gunworks.co.nz/shop/item...-mauser-barrel
    johnino likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunty1 View Post
    Gunworks have some Mauser barrels listed on their site, 308 though. Not sure if they would be compatible with your husky though?

https://www.gunworks.co.nz/shop/item...-mauser-barrel
    Mauser 98 so probably not-be worth the ask though.
    Strangely enough was given a parker hale 308 barrel, a bit worn but useable, just the other day.
    Think that would good for a close range bush pig though.
    @johnino check the post about barrels-put some pics in there
    Last edited by csmiffy; 09-04-2020 at 11:51 AM.
    johnino likes this.

Not worth it. Part out the stock and put the old girl on the cupboard as a momento. You can pick up an entire already sporterized Swede for what a rebarrel will cost.
    johnino likes this.

northdude
    or give it to me ill do it i look at it this way if you like it and can afford it why not i used to think like that in my trade when youd get a customer come in wanting to pour shit loads into an old piece of shit car its not worth it but if they like it and can afford it why not
    johnino likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by csmiffy View Post
    Mauser 98 so probably not-be worth the ask though.
    Strangely enough was given a parker hale 308 barrel, a bit worn but useable, just the other day.
    Think that would good for a close range bush pig though.
    @johnino check the post about barrels-put some pics in there
    Cheers mate. Nice offer. Only that would mean changing calibre and replacing reload tools and cases etc. correct me if I’m wrong.