Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch NZGR


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 48
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: Kawerau siege - Stuff court report

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    124

    Kawerau siege - Stuff court report

    Was interested to read this report today. Report is here:

    Shots fired through wall by armed police officer during Kawerau siege | Stuff.co.nz

    The parts I particularly liked (not):

    "Roe fired "multiple shots" through the wall into the bedroom where the alleged gunshot had come from.

    Under cross-examination from Warren, Roe revealed he had fired 17 rounds from his M4 rifle.
    "It's controlled aggression," Roe said. "You are not out of control."

    But earlier hed said:

    Roe said tear gas could have been used, however there was the possibility a child or an elderly person in the house as well as the person the police were seeking. It was a decision that had been made by his superiors to not use tear gas, he said."

    Obviously his x-ray vision allowed him to ascertain that there were no children or elderly persons in the bedroom!

    Gives a whole new meaning to the concept of identify your target :-(
    Feral likes this.

  2. #2
    Member zimmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,769
    Can not be too many kauri trees being felled these days to enable someone to use that analogy. Good old stuff.

  3. #3
    Member Feral's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Palmy
    Posts
    284
    Gotta wonder what their training is like and in particular their rules of engagement.

    Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    Daggers_187 and Tommy like this.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,054
    Quote Originally Posted by NZ_noddy View Post
    Was interested to read this report today. Report is here:

    Shots fired through wall by armed police officer during Kawerau siege | Stuff.co.nz

    The parts I particularly liked (not):

    "Roe fired "multiple shots" through the wall into the bedroom where the alleged gunshot had come from.

    Under cross-examination from Warren, Roe revealed he had fired 17 rounds from his M4 rifle.
    "It's controlled aggression," Roe said. "You are not out of control."
    I didn't read the whole thing but that quote was right at the top. You left out the part of seeing his mate hit or being felled like a tree, just before firing through the wall.
    I'm all in for a laugh at the police when they shoot themselves, or think what idiots when stray bullets are flying around town tying to shoot a dog.
    However,
    If I was in the house like him, and just seen my mate get hit, and I'm backed by the law, and a scumbag is shooting at me, you can bet I would be mag dumping that ar15 too. Is his family in there, I hope not, if they are, I'm sorry, but it's the scumbags fault if they are. I would be there trying to stay alive.
    That is not safe practice while hunting, that is using reasonable force against a bad guy, while trying to keep your life.
    Pointer, 10-Ring, Mooseman and 7 others like this.

  5. #5
    Member stug's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oxford, Canterbury
    Posts
    2,375
    I would have said that the Police reacted exactly the way they have been trained.
    Kurt557, timattalon and Ernie like this.

  6. #6
    Member Daggers_187's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Sa'dah, Yemen
    Posts
    532
    I don't understand. I thought we had people to do this kind of work when negotiations have failed?

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    107
    Probably not fair to quote him about decisions made (not his) prior to what unfolded...that goes out the door when your mates have just been shot at point blank I'm afraid and you are returning fire.
    The only shame is that he is alive to defend himself in court.
    bully, Kurt557 and timattalon like this.

  8. #8
    Member Daggers_187's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Sa'dah, Yemen
    Posts
    532
    Quote Originally Posted by bully View Post
    I didn't read the whole thing but that quote was right at the top. You left out the part of seeing his mate hit or being felled like a tree, just before firing through the wall.
    I'm all in for a laugh at the police when they shoot themselves, or think what idiots when stray bullets are flying around town tying to shoot a dog.
    However,
    If I was in the house like him, and just seen my mate get hit, and I'm backed by the law, and a scumbag is shooting at me, you can bet I would be mag dumping that ar15 too. Is his family in there, I hope not, if they are, I'm sorry, but it's the scumbags fault if they are. I would be there trying to stay alive.
    That is not safe practice while hunting, that is using reasonable force against a bad guy, while trying to keep your life.
    I think the issue is that he fired through a wall, through which he couldn't see. If they honestly believed that there may have been children or elderly people in the house, with enough conviction to not use CS gas or "tear gas" then why would firing through a wall be appropriate?
    Koshogi likes this.

  9. #9
    Member Tahr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    4,118
    Quote Originally Posted by Daggers_187 View Post
    I think the issue is that he fired through a wall, through which he couldn't see. If they honestly believed that there may have been children or elderly people in the house, with enough conviction to not use CS gas or "tear gas" then why would firing through a wall be appropriate?
    To protect the lives of other Police in immediate danger, including self?
    bully and Kurt557 like this.

  10. #10
    Member Daggers_187's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Sa'dah, Yemen
    Posts
    532
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    To protect the lives of other Police in immediate danger, including self?
    Sounds like they should have just gassed the house, donned gas-masks and apprehended him while he was incapacitated?
    Tommy likes this.

  11. #11
    Member Daggers_187's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Sa'dah, Yemen
    Posts
    532
    Quote Originally Posted by Daggers_187 View Post
    Sounds like they should have just gassed the house, donned gas-masks and apprehended him while he was incapacitated?
    *and hope he was susceptible to the effects of CS gas.

  12. #12
    Member BRADS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Central Hawkes Bay
    Posts
    7,437


    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Tahr, veitnamcam, Pointer and 14 others like this.

  13. #13
    Member Sasquatch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    522
    Except it appears they're lacking tactics in this case.
    Tommy likes this.

  14. #14
    Member Tommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    3,216
    I'm more surprised that those higher up made them go in after an armed guy in a house when gas or other options were available. To me that shows they value the lives of the 4 poor bastards who have to actually go kick in doors less than someone's granny getting hurty eyes. Most people on here know what happens when you shoot animals at close range with any firearm. Can you imagine how much you'd be shitting yourself? Of course they stitched the place up! Fuck that, give them a deadline and gas the fuck out of it.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

  15. #15
    Member Feral's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Palmy
    Posts
    284
    Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    I would have said that the Police reacted exactly the way they have been trained.
    Poorly then.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. FS: Military stuff to sell, inert bombs and stuff
    By jim160 in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 27-10-2016, 09:25 PM
  2. NZDF captain facing court martial for negligence
    By systolic in forum Firearm Safety
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-08-2016, 06:47 PM
  3. Lawyer accidentally takes pistol to court
    By Tommy in forum Firearm Safety
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 08-07-2015, 10:36 AM
  4. A wee report
    By Chris in forum The Magazine
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 01-09-2014, 10:41 AM
  5. Kiwi-mum-in-court-for-sons-murder
    By mick in forum Off topic
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 03-02-2014, 09:12 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!