Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1234567891011 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Teaching NO !

Teaching NO !

out of interest who here teachers there dog NO!

how did you teach it ?
    what do you expect the dog to do when you give the command NO ? should it stop. or sit, or come to you, or lay in a submissive posture or what ???

given, that the basic principles of teaching a dog a command you associate a action with a word or hand signal,, and reinforce it with a positive manner or/and access to pray drive ...... Right ?
    would this be the same when you teach no ?

so how do you teach NO , and what action do you expect the do to take once the command is given ??

This i will be watching carefully. I have the same problem . For example, My dog barks when excited and i cant seem to stop it. The only time i have got him to stop it is when i am feeding him he barks so every time he barks i take a step backward with his food . now he stops barking and stis down. if i take a few steps foreward and he starts again i step back again and it stops etc... My last post on books on how to train was after the same thing but you have gone directly to the point . teaching a dog to do something i dont have too much problem with but stoping something he already does is the bit i cant do.
    Is this what your asking???

I personally cannot stand a cowering cur...
    Last edited by EeeBees; 10-05-2013 at 07:48 PM.
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

Quote Originally Posted by Twoshotkill View Post
    This i will be watching carefully. I have the same problem . For example, My dog barks when excited and i cant seem to stop it. The only time i have got him to stop it is when i am feeding him he barks so every time he barks i take a step backward with his food . now he stops barking and stis down. if i take a few steps foreward and he starts again i step back again and it stops etc... My last post on books on how to train was after the same thing but you have gone directly to the point . teaching a dog to do something i dont have too much problem with but stoping something he already does is the bit i cant do.
    Is this what your asking???

in a roundabout way, yes it is what im asking ,

Quote Originally Posted by EeeBees View Post
    so how do you teach no ,

I teach my dog what I want him to do, not what I don't want him to do.

You answered your own question - what should he do when you say no? Cower? Teach him 'cower' then. Sit? Teach him 'sit'. Job done
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
    I teach my dog what I want him to do, not what I don't want him to do.

You answered your own question - what should he do when you say no? Cower? Teach him 'cower' then. Sit? Teach him 'sit'. Job done
    in my example what if he still barks when he sits?????

I dont understand???

Get a new dog.

haha just kidding. I think you are on the right track with your food process, cool stuff I am going through similar stuff with my pooch, teaching him "shh" by marking and rewarding the moments when he isn't barking. The trick is mixing it up between marking and rewarding quiet after barking and also quiet after, well, not barking.

(Otherwise WOOF-silence will be reinforced, rahter than stopping barking. See what I mean?)
    Twoshotkill likes this.
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Whatever I write here I am sure to get a bollocking about it but here goes...

How old is the dog...a puppy should have learnt the required response to the verbal command NO at an early age...if it hasnt done anything that is deemed by us as being not the behaviour we want, then I would be worried

The trouble is that a pattern can emerge with the negative command/s...we can be guilty of letting the dog get away with some behaviour...ok you hairy sod, do what you want then, and so the dog does, we after 30 seconds walk away...this is bad...we have to mean what we say...we can also be guilty of setting our dogs up to fail...who left the fffffffing gate open...the dog certainly didnt open it.

There is the instance of where some think that when you blow the recall or stop you should go and get the dog, take them back to the approximate place they were when you blew the command and start again...I do not know how they ever mean to catch up with a flying sonic boom!! But as Ben O Williams writes, when the dog comes back do not beat it or be overtly harsh with the voice...praise the dog...it has, afterall, come back to you. And in my thinking, you want your dog with you, that is how it should be. You see it on videos and in the field...people constantly whistling at their dogs, yelling at them...it all gets hohum to them, like a nagging wife or husband...it all becomes just another noise...they are taking the micky out of us because we have not set the parameters up right in the first place.

It is not about beating the snot out of them when they disobey or carry on with a behaviour that we do not want...it is about changing their behaviour with praise being the reward.

PS...re dog and food...make the dog come to you, command the sit and then present the food bowl. Make it an exercise. The food will become the reward along with your praise. My dogs will not be fed until they have got themselves settled and behaving.
    Last edited by EeeBees; 10-05-2013 at 09:06 PM.
    Twoshotkill likes this.

I dont understand???
    Sorry, Twoshotkill, I do not like a dog that cowers or is submissive, or one that piddles...I cannot stand that reaction in a dog...actually, it can tell you more about the handler than about the dog...
    mucko, Dougie, Twoshotkill and 1 others like this.

Ejected
    Do what your doing now with the food, but introduce the no command while your doing it. I much prefer UT to no.
    mucko likes this.

Ejected
    Whatever I write here I am sure to get a bollocking about it but here goes...
    Bend over EB..... jk.

I'm sure I'll get the same but, sometimes the polypipe is the best tool, sometimes the electric collar or maybe the whip, even the odd bucket of water is used. Then there is the food or praise, it comes down to situation.
    EeeBees and Maca49 like this.

I would much rather have a happy but sometimes a nose led dog than one which is ultra obedient and scared of me or one that is disrespectful and couldnt give a fig...that is not what a happy hunting combo is about...and if you are going to spend the next thirteen to fifteen years together at home and in the field you may as well get on with each other...
    jakewire, Dougie and Twoshotkill like this.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Well Tussock, if I did that with Jake a couple years ago I'd have had a dead dog and an awful lot of lamb to eat.
    Pointer likes this.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    I give mine chocolate and cuddles anytime its not doing the things I don't want it to do. I let it do what it wants till its not doing what I don't want it to do, then I reward it.
    Are you trying to take the piss out of me because Ruff isn't here to do it ?
    Pointer likes this.