Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: how do you stop a dog being a Trail barker

Martin, early on in my pig hunting i went and had sessions with a guy in Foxton.....Paul Hutton. Best thing i've done period! Money and time very well spent and have absolutely no regrets! Would be a little bit of a drive but well worth the money and all the training learnt will last you a life time and across multiple dogs!

Paul Hutton - Canine Behaviour Centre
    Ruff likes this.

Paul is who I learned from, he is the best!
    It is difficult to win an argument with an intelligent person! It is near impossible with a stupid person!
    Rebelwood Gundog Training

Quote Originally Posted by Ruff View Post
    Paul is who I learned from, he is the best!
    How much does he charge you? If you dont mind me asking.

Quote Originally Posted by StagDown View Post
    How much does he charge you? If you dont mind me asking.
    You'll need to ask him, it's been 25 years since I was working with him. He's not cheap, but is so far ahead of the rest it is not funny.
    It is difficult to win an argument with an intelligent person! It is near impossible with a stupid person!

Ive sent him an email, waiting for a reply. Thanks for the advice.

Just save yourself the heartache and make the dog a pot licker ,rehome it or RIP the bloody thing.
    If u are gonna spend coin hold off getting another dog work out how to get basic controls right and then give it a crack again.
    It is so easy as a novice to make mistakes that can be impossible for us learners to fix.
    You may have wrote it ?
    But have you even fired a gunshot next to this dog yet?
    Please don't rush outside and fire one next to her to find out.
    But that may be your next hurdle.
    Last edited by Zamkiwi; 16-06-2017 at 07:40 AM.
    headcase, Ruff, Steve123 and 1 others like this.
    Love walking my gun

my advice would be a bullet or download the Big game indicating dog Blue print and watch it from episode 1-12. Start the dog off how he does and probably have her sorted within a year if you follow it.
    My 15 month old Lab X Gsp is being trained this way and he is coming along very nicely to the point where he has been on 2 'hunts' to get his bush time up and once he has a few more hours under his belt it will be all on.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin358 View Post
    Took her out this morning and i saw a hind dissappering through the trees, couldn't get a shot, but followed it and Lucy didn't even pick up on it. Very dissappointing, i had her on a lead all the time. Then she took off and dragged me after Quail and started to bark.Then i decided to come home.

the dog cant "drag you off after"something if its on a lead and under control...... pull her head back around and get BASIC control sorted out.....YOU ARE THE BOSS not the dog,she doesnt seem to know this and all you have described sounds like picnic for dog and headache for you.
    good call to quit and go home...very good call , it shows you aware of whats not working and the fact you asking for help before things get worse tells me you not a dipstick and do care about dog .
    good luck.

also re "couldnt pick it up"
    dogs MAINLY work in one of two ways air or ground scent and the really good ones do both. mine doesnt pick up scent off ground and it took me ages to work out what she was doing (pile of poohs on ground) gave her scent but no direction indication...lol.
    as others have said she could be doing a swifty and "blinking" cunning wee sod knows they are there and just waiting for you to let her off lead so fun can begin....... now that isnt ENTIRELY bad if you want dog on lead to help find wounded/downed deer....just shoot deer then make big fuss over the finding of it so dog has a "job" to do...buggered if I can see it being more fun than a jolly good run/barking do whateverthehelliwant....but not entirely lost.
    good luck,listen to Ruff he knows his dogs.
    Ruff likes this.

If a dog needs to be on a leash it is not ready to be hunting plain and simple
    Ruff, EeeBees, Steve123 and 1 others like this.

Hi, thanks for the advice and replies guys, i have found a new home for Lucy on a small farm with some kids so she will be better off there. I will get a new pup and start from scratch. I have found plenty of advice on the net about dog training and will do my best to have a successful pup. Thanks again.
    martin

Martin, I think you have done the right thing for both of you.

Send me your e-mail address in a Private Message and I'll send you some info to get cracking no worries.
    headcase and Zamkiwi like this.

good on ya Ruff..thats the sort of offer that makes the world go around smoothly.

Thank you ruff, pm sent

youve always put your hand up ruff .. a man with heart.