Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 155gr. Amax

155gr. Amax

Am considering trying 155 gr. Amax in my 16" .308 suppressed Tikka T3x for hunting. Have read these are moly coated. Does the bore require more cleaning? What's performance like with shoulder shots on deer? Thanks

I have heaps of normal uncoated ones

Thanks @Kiwi Greg . Didn't know they came coated or uncoated. just looked at Hornady site. Any experience with using them on reds?

Don't use the molycoat ones in a hunting rifle. The coating is hydroscopic and has been reported to cause pitting in barrels.

They are pretty soft & explody but as you have a 16" barrel the velocity will be done which should help with that

TLB
    As Kiwi Greg said, pretty explody. I opted for the 168gr amax in my 16" 308 and have shot a couple of hundred deer with them no worries out to 510 yards.
    Have had two blow ups on the main shoulder bone, one the animal dropped on the spot and died where it was, must have been trauma because nothing made it's way into the neck or chest cavity, the other was a red stag in the roar and he didn't make it far but required a follow up shot. Other than that no issues and plenty of animals have been shot under 75 yards as well.
    I probably would be struggling to trust the 155s. The 150gr sst is a good pill if you want lighter.

Thanks again guys for the input. Have used Interlock in .270 for 25 odd years so may consider along those lines.