Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: .260 Advice

After a fare bit of experimentation I found that H414 worked the best in my 260, 120 to 140 projos
    Stay off the ridgeline.
    The only good assumption is to assume that movement, shape, colour, sound, is always human. Follow this rule and identify your target.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by mutton gun View Post
    After a fare bit of experimentation I found that H414 worked the best in my 260, 120 to 140 projos
    W760 for my Ackley. Equivalent to H414 and made in same place.

Gave better velocity and case life of all the traditional and recommended powders I have tried in my rifle.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Mathias likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    W760 for my Ackley. Equivalent to H414 and made in same place.

Gave better velocity and case life of all the traditional and recommended powders I have tried in my rifle.

When I was building my 260 Imp, I researched a lot about suitable powders and picked W760 as being favourable, so I bought a tub of it. Then some bugger mentioned RL17 and yes it gives great velocity but I've shagged some cases proving it. Guess I should dust that 760 off and try it aye

I have the Ackley version and love it but if I had to do it all again I would honestly just go with the standard clambering.
    I am starting to look at building one for my son's 16th B day.
    Have put a lot of thought into it and can't think of a better first caliber for him.

It is a great caliber that has a huge selection of projectiles.

Good on targets beyond a km and kills well with the right load out to 500. People will claim longer kills and that's all good but I personally wouldnt attempt to take an animal of medium size much further.
    Inherently accurate thru a lot of rifle brands. Easy to load develop for.

Good. I've always said that the 6.5 can be a slow killer 380 odd yards plus, but mostly get rebutted. I've shot hundreds of deer and tahr with my 6.5 at 2800fps and this is what I've observed. I've shot tahr at 500 with it but hell, you have to be careful and experienced. But out to 350 or so it's hard to beat. If you want to shoot animals at a calibers upper margin you should instead step up in power to something with more oomph.
    Mooseman likes this.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
    When I was building my 260 Imp, I researched a lot about suitable powders and picked W760 as being favourable, so I bought a tub of it. Then some bugger mentioned RL17 and yes it gives great velocity but I've shagged some cases proving it. Guess I should dust that 760 off and try it aye
    To be fair there is still bugger all info on the improved version. Barrels aside there are a lot of extreme/bullshit claims in the velocity department imho.

I searched heaps as well when I first got it and tried everything (OCD).
    Yup. Best velocities came from 17 but you just couldn't get it when needed.

2209/4350 were reliable and accurate but pretty pedestrian in my barrel.

I can't remember who, but someone on here suggested to try W760 and I did. Havent looked back.

I still use 2209 for 140 class and up but rarely shoot them now apart from a bit of steel.

Cheap and dirty old Hornady 129 interlock is as accurate and deadly in close and far out as I need it to be. Barrel has had a few rounds down it now and going well.

Looking to get a 7mm barrel of some description done for steel and so I can take my own rifle on a moose hunt overseas. Unless KJ lends me his 7mag barrel

To be fair there is still bugger all info on the improved version. Barrels aside there are a lot of extreme/bullshit claims in the velocity department imho.

I can't remember who, but someone on here suggested to try W760 and I did. Havent looked back.

I still use 2209 for 140 class and up but rarely shoot them now apart from a bit of steel.

Cheap and dirty old Hornady 129 interlock is as accurate and deadly in close and far out as I need it to be. Barrel has had a few rounds down it now and going well.

Looking to get a 7mm barrel of some description done for steel and so I can take my own rifle on a moose hunt overseas. Unless KJ lends me his 7mag barrel

Have you tried superformance powder with the 140s Mate? With Lapua brass it really gets things chugging.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    Have you tried superformance powder with the 140s Mate? With Lapua brass it really gets things chugging.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Yup. Didn't get much more velocity than 2209 in my barrel which is 24" Accurate tho.

I am starting to look at building one for my son's 16th B day.
    Have put a lot of thought into it and can't think of a better first caliber for him.

243. Ill convince him on time next visit.
    gadgetman likes this.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by sneeze View Post
    243. Ill convince him on time next visit.
    You have no chance.

He used to sing how gay Poo43's and Poo70's were when he was in his booster seat in the truck 10 yrs ago.

He also chose what caliber he would get if he bought his own rifle. Proud to say my boy is not gay

I have no idea who taught him such things at such a young age

I reckon Im in with a chance. Given the prize at the end it'll be worth a crack.
    Iv rasied teenagers, they tend to rebel against parents a little.
    gadgetman and R93 like this.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by sneeze View Post
    I reckon Im in with a chance. Given the prize at the end it'll be worth a crack.
    Iv rasied teenagers, they tend to rebel against parents a little.
    Thats true but not fair.

Buy the fucker a Ps4 game and he might listen to ya.

Funny that you found W760 different to 2209, according to ADI they have the same burn rate.

How much of a difference did you find in speed?

@dnsn before you go the route of resizing your brass from .308 to .260 ( which isnt difficult )
    Keep a couple of things in mind.
    If your getting a new chamber reamed then it could have close tolerances, this will be a problem with repurposed brass as it could have thicker neck walls.
    So when you add your projectile into the case mouth, the total width will be too great and the loaded ammunition wont chamber.
    You can over come this by neck turning the case neck walls down a little thinner.

If you dont have a neck turner it will cost you a bit to buy one, so the "cheap" .308 brass just got dearer.
    R93 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by johnd View Post
    @dnsn before you go the route of resizing your brass from .308 to .260 ( which isnt difficult )
    Keep a couple of things in mind.
    If your getting a new chamber reamed then it could have close tolerances, this will be a problem with repurposed brass as it could have thicker neck walls.
    So when you add your projectile into the case mouth, the total width will be too great and the loaded ammunition wont chamber.
    You can over come this by neck turning the case neck walls down a little thinner.

If you dont have a neck turner it will cost you a bit to buy one, so the "cheap" .308 brass just got dearer.
    I'm thinking that! .260 Lapua brass is $190ish at GunWorks - it's looking a bit more promising to head that direction and build a separate .308 if I've got another spare action.

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Beetroot View Post
    Funny that you found W760 different to 2209, according to ADI they have the same burn rate.

How much of a difference did you find in speed?
    It may have the same burn rate on the books but it certainly does not perform the same in my rifle for the same weight charge.
    I get 2980fps with 760 and the 129 interlock with half a grain less than the 2940ish I got with the same projectile and 2209
    Case life is also already better.

Haven't changed primer or seating depth so it must be a how. Not a how fast it burns thing.
    The 123 Amax has an even bigger speed gain using 760 over 2209.

Accuracy with both powders is roughly the same.