Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: .270wsm who has one???

Quote Originally Posted by nzrob View Post
    yea i have a Weatherby vanguard in 270 wsm running a red dot for shooting wallabies at the moment great fun using 100gn hollow points
    Ooooh - messy! Don't you eat them?
    Used to be a fine wine - now I'm vinegar.

I have a tikka T3x cut back to 21”. Running the factory federal premium hybrid hunter 140gr ammo I’m getting 3065 FPS. Deer shot at 400 got sacked the other night

308 will do it, just need a , slower and softer, high bc projectiles 168 -178 eldm
    7.62 likes this.

Have heard that TTXS are a very hard projectile, when slowing at range they don't open up so well and can pencil threw.
    Just a thought, correct me if I'm wrong some forum members who have experience with these?

If you go .30 mag, go big fat heavy projectiles. That's the difference. You "fire" .270 and 308 cased bullets. You "hurl" big fat heavy .30 cal mag bullets. Bullets that are hurled really really hurt.

Ive tried them all, and really like my 270wsm and use it a lot because its nicely in between and is not offensive. But of everything Ive owned and tried nothing has killed stuff like a decent weight .30 cal bullet with lots of grunt.

My favourite favourite is my 300SAUM shooting 168 grn NBT at 3100 fps. 20" barrel. Light. Great big holes. Near identical performance to the 300wsm you are considering.
    Last edited by Tahr; 26-01-2021 at 12:38 PM.
    mikee, Micky Duck and Phil_H like this.

I've got 7 factory 270wsm rounds left from a previous rifle free to a good home. Pickup Geraldine
    Micky Duck likes this.

Can only comment from my experience, with a 223 52g TTSX goat hit up close, petals broke off core followed threw, awesome damage
    very effective, WOW
    Robby T put me on to them because I wanted to use the 223 on deer.
    Next Goat shot at 300m the TTXX penciled threw the goat run, hell of a job finding it.
    Also had a hell of a job getting them to shoot 2 boxes 50, seemed to need to be pushed up to the lands, which didn't give me much neck bearing plus had to be hand fed. The penetration factor is always there But.
    So my decision, was a heavier softer projectile doing less speed a 65g Game King.
    Won't make it to the range Wednesday, bitten the bullet, getting fibre wifi installed. All the Best - Mark
    Phil_H likes this.

Agree with Tahr, 30 cal couple of old boys at the range with 308 magnums. Reg' s, shoots real well 180g at over 3000 and quite comfortable to shoot as well, reloading dies etc. I think he will be realistic on price. Worth an ask he'll be there tomorrow.
    Phil_H likes this.

I moved from the 270wsm to 300wsm because I read into all the hype of needing high BC projectiles to shoot anything past 300yds....funny thing is my 270wsm with 140 grainers was killing them just as dead at 600yds as my 300 with 208's....the power of marketing sucks in another one
    Micky Duck and dannyb like this.

Quote Originally Posted by wsm junkie View Post
    I moved from the 270wsm to 300wsm because I read into all the hype of needing high BC projectiles to shoot anything past 300yds....funny thing is my 270wsm with 140 grainers was killing them just as dead at 600yds as my 300 with 208's....the power of marketing sucks in another one
    I think the 300wsm is meant to loose less fps if shortened or something like that, dunno for sure I gave up shortening perfectly good barrels I'm not a bush hobbit
    Micky Duck and Dusty Fog like this.
    #DANNYCENT

The .270 Western is the thing to be looking at now.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_H View Post
    And not wanting to hijack the thread.....though it looks like it has pretty much done its dash......what are peoples thoughts between the 270WSM and the 300WSM ??

Not in the immediate market for a gun better than my 'do-it-all' .308 but I can see an itch coming up for trying my luck on the tops.....especially as we move further up the province.

My thought was, as I'm loading in the .308 calibre I'm already ahead with gear, in projectiles at least......plus I like the .308 calibre.

All thoughts and experiences welcomed...

Cheers
    Phil
    Hi Phil, I’m a 308 user, have been so since about 1972. Mikey Duck lead me astray recently with a X39 version.

Anyway, I feel so deprived in never having owned a 7mm let alone a WSM version.
    Micky Duck and Phil_H like this.
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

I was real keen on the 2 Sako's in WSM that were for sale recently on this forum but never got a reply on some questions?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_H View Post
    That is part of my thinking in going to a 300WSM. You could start 130gr TTSX's out the barrel at 3100 - 3400 fps

as apposed to the .308 at 2800 - 3100 fps

That extra 300 fps could be a game changer.

Cheers
    Phil
    If you want to shoot a 30cal Barnes at high velocity there’s no need to buy a 300wsm, just load your 308 with a 110gr ttsx. I’ve not used them myself but they’re supposed to be devastating out to about 300yd. But the low BC restricts their performance further out, start dropping like a stone and very susceptible to wind drift.

I don’t see the point in loading a magnum with light low BC bullets. The main advantage of magnums is they have the capability of flinging heavy-for-caliber high BC projectiles at decent velocities to extend your effective shooting range, so why not utilise that capability? If you want to reliably drop deer out to 300 your 308 is completely fine, but a Barnes wouldn’t be my first choice
    Micky Duck and Phil_H like this.

the barnes WONT do anything a cup n core cant do better...
    Ive used them 3 times in 270 (110grn).....they work,nothing spectacular,less meat damage,but no real advantage. 2 chammy with single shot at about 150yards,stag at about hundred and hind at about 40 yards, none needed 2nd shot . Phil,stick to your 180s for up close n personal...maybe find a 150-165grn pointy flash load for out the 200-400 yard range and be happy.
    nor-west, 7.62 and Phil_H like this.