Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: .270wsm who has one???

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    the barnes WONT do anything a cup n core cant do better...
    Ive used them 3 times in 270 (110grn).....they work,nothing spectacular,less meat damage,but no real advantage. 2 chammy with single shot at about 150yards,stag at about hundred and hind at about 40 yards, none needed 2nd shot . Phil,stick to your 180s for up close n personal...maybe find a 150-165grn pointy flash load for out the 200-400 yard range and be happy.
    I would agree with that. The Barnes developed a bit of a following amongst bush hunters using chopped and suppressed rifles. By using a light for caliber Barnes, you still got good velocity out of a short barrel and good terminal performance at bush ranges, as well as the ability to knock something over on a slip 300yd away. But give me a decent conventional projectile any day (preferably something heavyish), they perform just as well in the bush and are more consistent at 300yd+with the advantage of less wind drift. Speer btsp, hornady eldx, anything along those lines is good
    Micky Duck and Phil_H like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    If you go .30 mag, go big fat heavy projectiles. That's the difference. You "fire" .270 and 308 cased bullets. You "hurl" big fat heavy .30 cal mag bullets. Bullets that are hurled really really hurt.

Ive tried them all, and really like my 270wsm and use it a lot because its nicely in between and is not offensive. But of everything Ive owned and tried nothing has killed stuff like a decent weight .30 cal bullet with lots of grunt.

My favourite favourite is my 300SAUM shooting 168 grn NBT at 3100 fps. 20" barrel. Light. Great big holes. Near identical performance to the 300wsm you are considering.
    My 300WSM with 20 inch barrel "hurls" 200gn eld-x at 2850 or 175gn TLRs at 2950. Both work very well on deer!
    Phil_H likes this.

NRT
    Just get a 3006

Sent from my Nokia 7 plus using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_H View Post
    I have considered 30-06 and haven't discounted it entirely.

I guess the first hurdle for me is to see a rifle or cartridge with enough merit to prise me out of my comfort with the .308

I absolutely love the .308 for its versatility, hack-ability and that there is so much out there so easily available at such good prices.

It is at times that I have these moments where I think that I would just like that little bit more....... and the .30 calibre's appeal as I am already using it, I like it and it does the job.

The initial thought of 300WSM appealed as it is still short action and looking at the load data you can still get it to shoot like a ".308 on soft loads".....good for introducing new shooters or for use by the fairer sex, plus you can load it up and get it to shoot like a magnum.

To me 300WSM looks like another all round versatile cartridge much like the .308.....then @Tahr introduced 300 SAUM to the mix...... which looks equally as good even with some advantages perhaps. That said the WSM looks to have more commercial following than the SAUM.....also something to be considered.

Again, this is an itch, but it is not pressing. I have the .308 and it is ticking all the boxes for my current hunting and I still have more avenues to explore with further load development with this great cartridge. I am just looking ahead where I see my hunting needs may be changing and exploring to see if there is a cartridge and rifle out there more suited to these needs.

Cheers
    Phil
    300SAUM is a hanloader's cartridge only. No commercial ammo and no current factory chambering. Stick to 300wsm.
    Phil_H likes this.

And not wanting to hijack the thread.....though it looks like it has pretty much done its dash......what are peoples thoughts between the 270WSM and the 300WSM ??

Not in the immediate market for a gun better than my 'do-it-all' .308 but I can see an itch coming up for trying my luck on the tops.....especially as we move further up the province.

My thought was, as I'm loading in the .308 calibre I'm already ahead with gear, in projectiles at least......plus I like the .308 calibre.

All thoughts and experiences welcomed...

Cheers
    Phil
    Why isn't 7mm WSM in this discussion? When I was looking into a new calibre to replace my .270 and complement my .243, it came down to 7mm WSM or SAUM for the perfect balance of ballistics and terminal performance. Near rem mag performance in a short action. If you're handloading, then you have a huge selection of projectiles. Sure, factory ammo and brass is like hens' teeth, but you can neck down the 300 WSM if needs be.

Hard to get rifles and quality cases in 7mm wsm now.
    Rees likes this.

I have considered 30-06 and haven't discounted it entirely.

I guess the first hurdle for me is to see a rifle or cartridge with enough merit to prise me out of my comfort with the .308

I absolutely love the .308 for its versatility, hack-ability and that there is so much out there so easily available at such good prices.

It is at times that I have these moments where I think that I would just like that little bit more....... and the .30 calibre's appeal as I am already using it, I like it and it does the job.

The initial thought of 300WSM appealed as it is still short action and looking at the load data you can still get it to shoot like a ".308 on soft loads".....good for introducing new shooters or for use by the fairer sex, plus you can load it up and get it to shoot like a magnum.

To me 300WSM looks like another all round versatile cartridge much like the .308.....then @Tahr introduced 300 SAUM to the mix...... which looks equally as good even with some advantages perhaps. That said the WSM looks to have more commercial following than the SAUM.....also something to be considered.

Again, this is an itch, but it is not pressing. I have the .308 and it is ticking all the boxes for my current hunting and I still have more avenues to explore with further load development with this great cartridge. I am just looking ahead where I see my hunting needs may be changing and exploring to see if there is a cartridge and rifle out there more suited to these needs.

Cheers
    Phil
    Greetings Phil,
    Just wait a bit. There are bound to be at least three more whizo calibres out by the end of the year. All more powerful than a locomotive and able to leap tall buildings in a single bound. Most will last a few years at most meanwhile the plain old .308 will still be chugging along as it has for almost 70 years.
    Regards Grandpamac,
    PS I have a really nice Sendero in 7mm SAUM in the rifle cupboard. I bought it in 2014, my first new rifle for decades. I really like it and am not interested in selling it but it has fired less than 50 rounds and test loads from 2015 are still in the box.
    Phil_H likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    the barnes WONT do anything a cup n core cant do better...
    Ive used them 3 times in 270 (110grn).....they work,nothing spectacular,less meat damage,but no real advantage. 2 chammy with single shot at about 150yards,stag at about hundred and hind at about 40 yards, none needed 2nd shot . Phil,stick to your 180s for up close n personal...maybe find a 150-165grn pointy flash load for out the 200-400 yard range and be happy.
    Big heavy red stags especially those coated in mud or wet dont like a Barnes heading into the neck region. They do penetrate so well.Try the old phone book test between the 2 pills. You will be surprised how far the Barnes go.
    Phil_H likes this.

yes I can agree with that...but so will a partition or something heavy....
    Im sold on 50grn barnes in the 223 as results to date have been great....have been hearing reports later batches ARENT expanding properly....

@Phil_H anyone mentioned a 7 rem mag? "more" than the 308 does. in most aspects.

"same" as what the 270 WSM does.... but available everywhere in the world in a plethora of rifles

loving mine.
    Micky Duck and dannyb like this.

To Be fair though............... im sorta guna chase some thing withthe 7rem mag ballistics but a lighter rifle....... so any lighter recoil is welcomed , any more, not an option...

is ther 270wsm the Go ya rekon??? 600m max hunting. dial scope. needs to be less than 3.5kg as current is 4kg.

Thoughts are the lighter 7rem mags are starting to boot but definatly an option.
    whereas the 270WSM, lighter gun, good length barrel still ? recoil might be there or as much being short fat as opposed to the slender rem mag...

just pretty happy with the 7rm for this distance stuff.. what do u guts say on that

It's already been made, for about 50 odd years either a 257 Weatherby or a .264 Winchester Magnum. I have 257W it's a pussy cat the .264 not much more I had one with a 1-8 barrel, sold it and if I had known the new high BC bullets were coming I woulda kept it. I've gone to the 6.5PRC nothing new in ballistics but new brass, better bullets and modern powder should equal the existing 7mm's with less recoil.
    Micky Duck likes this.