Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: 284 Powder and Bullet advice

Home load next to an old factory to show length difference

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    I have just started to load for my 284Win. The interweb has suggested using starting loads for 2209 as a good place to start with RL16. Im looking at running either 150BT, 162 A-Max and 150 ELD-X. I've always liked the NBT so unless the others show stellar accuracy I will probably go that way. The 162 is shooting very well though and I do have a decent supply of them (for now).
    I think RL26 has too much bulk and is not going to be as quick as RL16 or 17 with 17 having the speed edge. The pressure from RL26 is very low from what im reading though, like 10KPSI lower than the rest. For a larger cartridge it should be the shizzle.
    H414/Win 760 also shows a lot of promise on paper.
    Someone elses QuickLoad data in the link for a 29" 284Win. YMMV
    https://www.warner-tool.com/wp-conte...37583700340597
    Danny likes this.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    I have just started to load for my 284Win. The interweb has suggested using starting loads for 2209 as a good place to start with RL16. Im looking at running either 150BT, 162 A-Max and 150 ELD-X. I've always liked the NBT so unless the others show stellar accuracy I will probably go that way. The 162 is shooting very well though and I do have a decent supply of them (for now).
    I think RL26 has too much bulk and is not going to be as quick as RL16 or 17 with 17 having the speed edge. The pressure from RL26 is very low from what im reading though, like 10KPSI lower than the rest. For a larger cartridge it should be the shizzle.
    H414/Win 760 also shows a lot of promise on paper.
    Someone elses QuickLoad data in the link for a 29" 284Win. YMMV
    https://www.warner-tool.com/wp-conte...37583700340597
    I use IMR 4350 behind my 150gn NBT's...but it is not even listed on that table.

Win 760 powder behind 162 eldx doing 2700 out of a 20 inches tikka barrel

I played around with a quite a few different powders a couple of years ago when RL17 was impossible to find...Tikka with a 17"

H100v, 2209, H414, N550 with 162s and 150 projectiles. Winner for combo of accuracy/speed was N550.

However as soon as RL17 was available I switched to this with 162ELDx.

If you're not entertaining anything over 300 odd yards 2209 pushing 150 sierra gamekings is an awesome combo.

Good luck
    GWH, chainsaw and winaa like this.

Quote Originally Posted by skirk View Post
    I played around with a quite a few different powders a couple of years ago when RL17 was impossible to find...Tikka with a 17"

H100v, 2209, H414, N550 with 162s and 150 projectiles. Winner for combo of accuracy/speed was N550.

However as soon as RL17 was available I switched to this with 162ELDx.

If you're not entertaining anything over 300 odd yards 2209 pushing 150 sierra gamekings is an awesome combo.

Good luck
    I did 2209 and 150 gamekings and shot deer out to 460. Good to well over 500 even with a shorter barrel

Thanks for the continuing info and a few PMs with loads

Given I have run out of ammo and I have 40 cases and 42 139 FB left over this is the plan. Load up 20 with 57.5 2209 as it’s sighted in already with this load and I can go hunting (above book but fine in my rifle). I’ll be interested to Chronograph this load as a base. Then I’ll load up the same bullets with RE16 from 53-56 and ladder check for accuracy, velocity and pressure.

The RE16 loads will let me know where to start with 150gr BTs by backing off a few grains.

Then I need to invest in a Leupold VX3 3-10 CDS with ZL and I can push out a bit further. In the meantime the top of the post is 330m zero with current 2inch high at 100m so OK to about this distance.

Not reloading related but dug out your book@Forestry a good reread over lockdown cheers!

Should be a good combo. I have some rl16 on hand and will probably have a crack with the 150 eld x. Currently running 162eldm over h414/win 760 for 2750 odd out of a 19 inch barrel

Loading progress and learnings

I got all my loading gear finally.

Weighed my brass and what an eye opener. Most around 209-211grains but a few at 196....I’ve put those aside for now. The LEE press is good but the primer tool is not as good as my previous hand primer. The Hornady digital scale is a dream compared to the LEE beam scale. There is about 0.5grn difference between the two but I am relying on the Hornady because it has the 10gram calibration weight to check

Loaded up 40 rounds last night. 23 with 57.5grns 2209 and 139 Hornady FB and a ladder test batch using same bullet and RE16 from 53 - 57 grains. They are very similar and the powder thrower actually worked very accurately with both. I just topped up with a tea-spoon but have ordered a trickler. The RE16 has slightly more bulk which I like as the bullets are seated out for the long throat and fill the case better

Next stage is to chrono the loads and check for pressure on the RE16. That will have to wait a few weeks now work is full on. It will be interesting to see how the RE16 goes. Note I have previously used the 2209 load so am confident it’s OK in my rifle but will be interested to see if it cracks 3000fps. Name:  46E6B2AB-99C7-40B9-86DB-6E76E5B4D34F.jpeg
Views: 649
Size:  2.86 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Forestry View Post
    Loading progress and learnings

I got all my loading gear finally.

Weighed my brass and what an eye opener. Most around 209-211grains but a few at 196....I’ve put those aside for now. The LEE press is good but the primer tool is not as good as my previous hand primer. The Hornady digital scale is a dream compared to the LEE beam scale. There is about 0.5grn difference between the two but I am relying on the Hornady because it has the 10gram calibration weight to check

Loaded up 40 rounds last night. 23 with 57.5grns 2209 and 139 Hornady FB and a ladder test batch using same bullet and RE16 from 53 - 57 grains. They are very similar and the powder thrower actually worked very accurately with both. I just topped up with a tea-spoon but have ordered a trickler. The RE16 has slightly more bulk which I like as the bullets are seated out for the long throat and fill the case better

Next stage is to chrono the loads and check for pressure on the RE16. That will have to wait a few weeks now work is full on. It will be interesting to see how the RE16 goes. Note I have previously used the 2209 load so am confident it’s OK in my rifle but will be interested to see if it cracks 3000fps. Attachment 139665
    Did you get 57g of RL16 a case? My Petersen brass is chokka at 54g with a 150 ELD-X sitting in the neck only.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Yes - I can still shake and hear the powder at 57 but my bullets are seated way out and I use Flat Base otherwise it’s hard to get a grip in the neck. I’m going to try the 150 Ballistic Tips next as they have a very short boat-tail compared to the ELD but will drop back a few grns for those anyway. What velocity are you getting with 54grns kiwijames?

Quote Originally Posted by Forestry View Post
    Yes - I can still shake and hear the powder at 57 but my bullets are seated way out and I use Flat Base otherwise it’s hard to get a grip in the neck. I’m going to try the 150 Ballistic Tips next as they have a very short boat-tail compared to the ELD but will drop back a few grns for those anyway. What velocity are you getting with 54grns kiwijames?
    I'll tell you tomorrow but IIRC had something like 2850.
    I'm seated a long way off too. This is a 160TMK seated to just touch. I had my throat cut deeper last week as I wanted to make the most of the case capacity.
    Name:  D9D524A2-F537-4129-9B20-20374F21F628.jpeg
Views: 439
Size:  574.3 KB

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    I'll tell you tomorrow but IIRC had something like 2850.
    I'm seated a long way off too. This is a 160TMK seated to just touch. I had my throat cut deeper last week as I wanted to make the most of the case capacity.
    Attachment 139755
    Did you find you had to add more coal to the fire to achieve the same speed as before lengthening the throat?

Quote Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
    Did you find you had to add more coal to the fire to achieve the same speed as before lengthening the throat?
    The chronograph I have been using has been to inconsistent to really draw conclusions from. I have been loading to a jump off 0.020" so COAL is increased regardless. To be fair I'm having a bit of trouble with this rifle getting it to shoot consistently. Or is me that is the issue. I'm going to try some N160 in it as I have some as well as 2209.