Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I have learnt a few lessons in the rain lately too
    1 wet hands loading cases into chamber =s shavings off the back of case head from what was previously a well behaved load
    2 if no round is in the chamber water can seep down the bolt and into chamber/barrel. Took the tape off the end of my barrel after steaming my way back to the truck in rain and water poured out of it. lucky I hadnt had a spook and shoot deer on the way home....

Quote Originally Posted by horihunter View Post
    I have learnt a few lessons in the rain lately too
    1 wet hands loading cases into chamber =s shavings off the back of case head from what was previously a well behaved load
    2 if no round is in the chamber water can seep down the bolt and into chamber/barrel. Took the tape off the end of my barrel after steaming my way back to the truck in rain and water poured out of it. lucky I hadnt had a spook and shoot deer on the way home....
    Your a barrel down over the shoulder carrier? probably spent more days hunting in the rain than not(dunno why just seems to work out that way) never had those problems? walking barrel up on sling, stalking hand around action and bolt held close accros body.(mainly to try and keep shit off scope)
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by crnkin View Post
    Could be a dud pill Adam.

Ive had nothing but bad experiences with 208 amaxes and those SST's you so willingly sold me

Have you used the 140 bergers? Ive got 150 of them I want to try.

We shot a very medium sized bull last May, he took on board 3 well placed 130g FBSP 130 grain 270's, it took a barnes though the lungs to put him down for good. (he would have died but not before he was un recoverable)

I'd think twice about using SP's on Tahr if you want to recover them. Barnes are the business, but are supposedly hard to make shoot due to fouling, a problem you wont have aye

Chris
    In my experience fouling is a non issue with the barnes crankin especially in a hunting situation.
    Never put threw more than 40 odd in a session but fouling was no worse than amax or sst or interloc.
    Maybe a different story if you like to cook steak on you barrel eh crankin

Tracers now they foul like nothing else,the hollow base allows 55-60k psi to push out copper against the bore. Fun If you like cleaning.
    Last edited by veitnamcam; 26-02-2012 at 01:46 AM.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

i was using the 140g vld's (the yellow packet) and on a medium sized got my 6.506 was punching them clean through it from about 400m. im not sure what speed i have them doing as i havent been able to get hold of a chrony to find out

What about the nosler e-tips? has anyone given these a crack yet? do they have the same copper fouling issues as the barnes?

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Your a barrel down over the shoulder carrier? probably spent more days hunting in the rain than not(dunno why just seems to work out that way) never had those problems? walking barrel up on sling, stalking hand around action and bolt held close accros body.(mainly to try and keep shit off scope)
    was barrel down, up, all over the show trying to get through scrub, if its on my shoulder its barrel up and when stalking I have it tucked in trying to keep everything covered, something to be aware of...

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    In my experience fouling is a non issue with the barnes crankin especially in a hunting situation.
    Never put threw more than 40 odd in a session but fouling was no worse than amax or sst or interloc.
    Maybe a different story if you like to cook steak on you barrel eh crankin

Tracers now they foul like nothing else,the hollow base allows 55-60k psi to push out copper against the bore. Fun If you like cleaning.
    Haha those tracers are fucking terrible!

I believe barnes keeps making bigger and bigger bands on their projectiles to cut down the fouling problems? I have witnessed quite a few kills now from barnes bullets and have been nothing but impressed with their performance, albeit at very short ranges, under 200m.

Chris

Iv shot quite a few tsx and ttsx in 6 and 7mm.they havent fouled any more than any other bullet.The fouling most speak of comes from the older x bullet with no driving bands.They where also a bit harder to push than the newer pressure freindly versions.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

Applies Lead Liberally rogers.270's Avatar
    I must say that I run sst in the 150 gn .300wsm @ 3180 and 130 gn .270win @ 2900 and have dropped many animals at varying distances between 50 and 400 m with no problems.

Not many survive the first round.

Biggest cock up I've had is not oiling the tikka after 3 days in paringa the fucker seized while face to face at 25 m with a red. Anto had to shoot it!!! What a fucker.
    Addicted to gun powder

Nice lookin stag there Rogers

Impure Lead Flinger
    Quote Originally Posted by rogers.270 View Post
    I must say that I run sst in the 150 gn .300wsm @ 3180 and 130 gn .270win @ 2900 and have dropped many animals at varying distances between 50 and 400 m with no problems.

Not many survive the first round.

Biggest cock up I've had is not oiling the tikka after 3 days in paringa the fucker seized while face to face at 25 m with a red. Anto had to shoot it!!! What a fucker.
    Wouldnt have happened if you werent using those gay bullets ahhhhhhh morgan