Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: 300 Rum Brass Cases

Show me these Mk 5 barrels I could do with a few!

Yep so Carlock is trying to deal with both issues, and good on him...

What pees me off is the patent bullshit. There is nothing particularly ground breaking with Carlock's design, and sure he has spent money and time getting to whatever place, but the guy if he has his way, he will lock up the basic idea so that he is the only one to profit by it. That always does the wider community a disservice...

The vast majority are not going to buy his technology off him, he has no way of meeting the demand if its ground-breaking, and the pattern of behaviour for those holding valuable technology is to sit still, over-price the idea, do no development and nothing happens under the protection comes off...

He is better off to build brand identity into the idea and run as fast as he can with it... the wider community benefit and he remains an ideas man rather than just milking the cow for as much as its worth..

In our world I think the patent approach is gutless... as well as being really expensive...

And to be honest there is no way he can protect the idea, its not that original....

If you can patent/trademark the WSM you can do what he has done. Would be reasonably easy to get around. He seems to use two/three steps in his throat. Use less or a gradual angle should get around it. Kirby Allen investigated a similar throat design but found it wore out too quickly.

True... but he can't protect it... if I wanted a Blaser Mag/Dakota reamer I could get it any day of the week. Waste of money to patent it. Have a look around to see how many Dakota propriotery calibre's are in use... In fact the Blaser is just a knock off on the Dakota anyway..

Trademark, brand identity is the only realistic way to go.. make sure you are the first thought in peoples head by identifying the product with yourself..
    ...Should call it the Carlock Imp. Chamber or something...

You also have to wonder what he is trying to protect... its not a cartridge he has developed.... how does he even effectively generate income from the idea other than by rebarrelling or building rifles...

Is that even worth the cost of patent... its probably not worth the cost of trying to defend the patent..

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    Maybe I'm super smart or something but you need to read the patent and drawings again.... This applies to 99% of you all LOL
    I had t read it as I didn't know it existed till it was posted but my 'theory' was confirmed in writing
    I do struggle to see how you could patent it though...

There's nothing to see...he puts a 2 stage step until full engagement.. its smart but hardly ground breaking.. I was speaking generically about patents assuming some sort of ground breaking development... this isn't.. which is even more reason to not bother..

Read it again..

Sooo the reamer extends beyond the chamber neck thinning out the start of the rifling and the engagement with the jacket builds up in steps. Kinda like easing something hard into a tight place rather than just jamming it straight in thereby reducing the chances of things blowing up?

http://www.faqs.org/patents/img/20120117846_01.png

So its like freebore but with rifling - interesting.

Interesting to note that the Allen mag guy saying that people were returning his version of the same thorat to get them put back to standard throats due to shite barrel life

Nope not seeing anything... the first step is more tapered than the second.... thats all.....

Enlighten me.

Impure Lead Flinger
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidney View Post
    Nope not seeing anything... the first step is more tapered than the second.... thats all.....

Enlighten me.
    There are multiple steps of rifling so the bullet engages the bore gradually... so pressure builds gradually rather than spiking substansially when a bullet hits the rifling as one instant engage from a single freebore throat.... supposedly also causing bullet to travel down the bore with less impossed wobble!!!
    This has been round for years.. carlocks just made it a step rather than. a taper like a few other guys have done!!

I have nothing to gain in the whole thing but read the patent and draw it to scale not view the (cool) basic hundred yr old drawing style (love it btw)

Basically a reduced extended free bore under throat diameter with a taper in the rifling.

Allen's version is different.
    His 'thump' into the rifling is more abrupt.

Quote Originally Posted by baldbob View Post
    There are multiple steps of rifling so the bullet engages the bore gradually... so pressure builds gradually rather than spiking substansially when a bullet hits the rifling as one instant engage from a single freebore throat.... supposedly also causing bullet to travel down the bore with less impossed wobble!!!
    This has been round for years.. carlocks just made it a step rather than. a taper like a few other guys have done!!
    100% correct
    Number of 223/556 chambers doing the same for YEARS

Hell look at the publication date. It's been public knowledge for a year. Anyone who claims to have invented anything similar since then is nothing more than copy cat.

As I hinted at the other day, plot pressure and distance over time on the same axis and you will see interesting things.

There is little in this world that can't be explained by science/physics..

So there is an extended taper of the rifling in the freebore area?

Quote Originally Posted by Sidney View Post
    So there is an extended taper of the rifling in the freebore area?
    Nope- not as it reads in print or paper.
    Basically taper the rifling after the freebore.
    Blend it or shoulder it, quantifiable results are questionable but its all post freebore effectively.

Don't get caught up in the piss and wind patent terminology.
    It's old school English and lawyer wording

Exactly the same as the 100+ yr old patent drawings I've playing with for the last few yrs (completely different topic)