Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Pommy
  • 1 Post By Jaco Goosen
  • 2 Post By Tararua Phil

Thread: 6.5 Grendel options?

6.5 Grendel options?

Having recently been able to score the blind bottom metal for the Howa mini from @Kiwi Greg (Thanks again, Greg) my little project is slowly coming together.

What are people using as far as projectiles (or even factory ammo) from point blank in the bush out to x distance on deer?

123gr SST seems a common option but I am keeping an open mind.

If I was using it again I would go with the 85 gr hammer, around 3 or up to 3100 fps. I know it's not readily available here but a bit of lateral thinking beats the drawback.

Really comes down to personal preference. Do you prefer fast and light or heavy and slow?

Grendel was designed to maximise the range of the AR platform. With that in mind, a heavy high BC bullet is pretty standard. But the velocities at 120-130gr are a bit pedestrian and on certain game at certain ranges, you might want something a bit lighter for a bit more speed.

My personal favourite has been 100gr NBT's. Seems to provide a great balance of weight/bc/velocity for hunting out to sane distances. Shame they're rocking horse poo now. But I've shot everything from 85 to 130gr with decent success.

Suggest you go to Gunworks website, browse through the selection of 6.5 projectiles and pick whatever tickles your fancy. Can't go too far wrong.
    Preacher and Sidetrack like this.
    Resident 6.5 Grendel aficionado.

Im shooting 95gr Vmax out of mine at just shy of 3000fps. Been shooting steel out to 600m with no issues.
    Preacher likes this.

I've been using 90gnhp TKMs @ about 3000fps & the goats drop & reds stagger & fall pretty quickly
    A great little caliber for hunting out to 200yds on medium game.
    Moa Hunter and Jaco Goosen like this.

What I dont understand is, if you’re going down that route of using 90 or 100gr projectiles why not chamber in 6mm ARC where you get a good BC ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bagheera View Post
    What I dont understand is, if you’re going down that route of using 90 or 100gr projectiles why not chamber in 6mm ARC where you get a good BC ?
    I would question at out to 250 it doesn't matter. I've used the 85 gr varmint round of brick bc out to over 300 yards and even hit them in the head. Bc is only for way out there.

@Tararua Phil ADI lists a max MV for a 90gr as 2870 from a 24” barrel. But the forte of a Grendel would be with 18” or less making it closer to 2700. What are you using ? A 6.5 Crd with 20” would give 3050 max with a 100 gr so could that be a more logical choice if you dont need a short gun ?

The pressure limit is kept at like 53,000psi in the manufacturer data, because the AR15's that shoot it have weaker bolts than their 223 equivalents. In a bolt gun, you can push it a bit harder.

You can load a .545 130gr ELD-M and get a good BC in 6.5, but then the velocity is really quite low. Not everyone wants that.
    Resident 6.5 Grendel aficionado.