Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: 6.5mm 143gr ELD-X first load development

If you have already experienced sticky bolt ( 1 @ 46.5) and then upwards why even go back there? ADI is a very temp stable but there is still a possibilty in hot weather of pressure issues when you are knocking on the door of max. Ideally you need to use a slower powder assuming case capaity is available but with a 20" barrel all you will do is not burn all your powder in the barrel. You could go faster, 2208 but will still probably run into preesure issues if you are trying for speed speed speed. I would fiddle with seating depth at 46 gr. With your long throat you may as well load to the theoretical optimum depth - bottom of the bearing section b4 boat tail transition lining up with bottom of neck and try that. I have a 22/250 which the projectiles are miles off the lands due to long throat. I really anguished over that fact but the thing shoots 0.3s and less without fail. If you know of some one with Quickload it would be worthwhile running a few options thru that.
    Dead is better and Puffin like this.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    If you have already experienced sticky bolt ( 1 @ 46.5) and then upwards why even go back there? ADI is a very temp stable but there is still a possibilty in hot weather of pressure issues when you are knocking on the door of max.
    I agree. I will drop off the 47.2 load.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    With your long throat you may as well load to the theoretical optimum depth - bottom of the bearing section b4 boat tail transition lining up with bottom of neck and try that.
    Also agree - I'll document the current OAL and once I've been through those loads, I'll play with the seating depth.
    Thanks for the insight guys, still new to this so good to soak up all the knowledge I can.

It does look like 46.2 or .3 would be the most accurate. Was this done with a suppressor or bare barrel?

With suppressor.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Didn't know you had a 20" barrel .
    loads twixt 46 and 46.5 are looking good then,
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Cheers guys. I have 46, 46.2, 46.4 & 46.6 loaded up for trialling.

Finally got to test out the ELD-X out at long range and the results were very good (for me). I'm usually really on and off but these were extremely consistent. Was able to establish a constant POI and then bomb the back gong 3 times in a row at 1023m. After taking down a few various ranges I put a few 5 shot groups at 100m and tried a couple of new positions. I'm finding I prefer the diagonal position prone lying at 45 deg to the target.
    Name:  20160327_132517.jpg
Views: 705
Size:  856.0 KB

Then these trying out using a sling which did make a nice group but it wasn't over the point of aim and then I fluffed a group
    Name:  20160327_132456.jpg
Views: 773
Size:  632.7 KB
    Name:  20160327_132504.jpg
Views: 703
Size:  623.4 KB
    Last edited by Dead is better; 27-03-2016 at 09:05 PM.