Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: 6.5x55 accuracy

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Adams View Post
    Can't seem to post a photo. They are norma 139gn. and 38gns norma. Probably groups 60mm or so at 100m with these although I haven't put many through it cos I don't want to waste them!
    so its all relative....a 60mm group at hundred would be considered by many on here as poor...very poor by others...shocking time to rebarrel by a few...and perfectly good for out to 200 by others..myself included.
    the easy way to get reloads that work...is YOU BUY THE COMPONENTS and buddy up with someone who already reloads..you use his gear under supervision so learn how...and the cost is kept down...you may go on to buy your own gear..or just load up all your components and be happy for next...however long it takes to burn through 120-150 rounds.
    you might get lucky and get even better accuracy.....
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Greetings @Peter Adams,
    I have both an M38 and a T3 Lite in 6.5x55. Both shoot well. The M38 has a reasonable barrel and has been re crowned as damage in this area can ruin accuracy. You need to have someone look at this before you waste too much ammo on it. Mine also has an aftermarket trigger. The throat is long so you may not be able to seat projectiles close to the rifling. I would stay away from boat tail projectiles as I found the 120 and 129 grain flat base projectiles shot well.
    Make things easy on yourself by finding a mentor to help you get set up. Finding decent handloading data can be a challenge so I am happy to share my knowledge via PM. The US factory ammo is piss weak and not worth bothering with and the better stuff is eye wateringly expensive. There are also pitfalls in setting up your dies not to oversize your cases as US dies generally set the shoulder back too far. None of this is difficult to work through if you have someone to guide you along the way. The 6.5x55 is a great cartridge and well worth the bother.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    Micky Duck and Hugh Shields like this.

If the Handloads are grouping Ok and the factory loads wont hit a cardboard box it feel to me like something else is going on here. I agree handloads can be more accurate than factory ammo but this difference is extreme.
    If you are in Haruru falls I am in Coopers Beach. I would be happy gto help you out with sussing the issue and/or getting you going with handloading. Message me if you like.
    ZeroPak Vacuum Sealers, Zero air Zero waste

You don't say if your using iron sights or optics, not that that's important I guess. The standard bullets in military ammunition were flat based. Flat based projectiles are generally more accurate in service rifles than boat tails as they set up better in a worn throat. Dismantle a handload and see what style it is and go from there

Thats strange ive got a pulled factory sweed mil round here and its definatley a boat tail. Have to see if I can find a pick...

Name:  20240114_161854.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  1.64 MB
    Frogfeatures and Marty Henry like this.
    may be sarcastic may be a bad joke

When I purchased, second hand, my Schultz and Larsen 6.5x55, the advice the Gunsmith gave me was, "European rifle, buy European manufactured ammunition. America rifle, American ammunition." I bought 4 boxes of Sako 130grn and have been very happy with both accuracy and terminal results. I don't shoot cardboard, only living targets, so still have at least 35 or 25 left. I have got the dies, but haven't had the need to start reloading yet. I was told European brass is better quality, Norma is about the best, some will say Lapua or something else. And as someone alluded too, European ammo can be 100 to 200fps faster than American.

The point is factory ammo is eye watering EXPENSIVE so buddy up with an experienced reloading and learn a new skill in 2024.

Quote Originally Posted by zeropak View Post
    If the Handloads are grouping Ok and the factory loads wont hit a cardboard box it feel to me like something else is going on here. I agree handloads can be more accurate than factory ammo but this difference is extreme.
    If you are in Haruru falls I am in Coopers Beach. I would be happy gto help you out with sussing the issue and/or getting you going with handloading. Message me if you like.
    That's awesome, thanks. I'm actually moving to kaeo so perhaps could shoot up at some point for some advice. Cheers, Pete

Thanks everyone for the replies. What a helpful bunch. Sounds like I need to keep an eye open for some reloading gear. While I've got your attention the gun also misfired once and when I dropped the bolt back it went off. Put me off of using it tbh but I've since read it can happen if you don't engage the bolt firmly enough. Any of you knowledgeable lot have any ideas on this?
    blip likes this.

Greetings again,
    You said the rifle mis fired which I take to mean that you pulled the trigger, the firing pin went forward and the round did not fire. So far so good. Next you said when you dropped the bolt back it went off. Did you open and close the bolt and pull the trigger to make it fire or what? If this is what happened then it was just a dodgy primer or a grossly oversized case. The rounds need to be loaded in the mag rather than dropped in the chamber to ensure they are picked up by the extractor so this could be a problem or was it something else which may need fixing?
    GPM.

Quote Originally Posted by blip View Post
    Well I'll be darned, I had some from a battlepack ( sealed in green plastic 200rnds) dated 76 or so that didn't fire so pulled them apart, definitely remember they were nickel jackets flat base with a flake powder

Im using speer 140gn hot cores in my m38 and a min load of 2208. Its fine for shooting paper. Is yours a mil spec or sporter @ peter adams

BFA
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Adams View Post
    Thanks everyone for the replies. What a helpful bunch. Sounds like I need to keep an eye open for some reloading gear. While I've got your attention the gun also misfired once and when I dropped the bolt back it went off. Put me off of using it tbh but I've since read it can happen if you don't engage the bolt firmly enough. Any of you knowledgeable lot have any ideas on this?
    @Billymavs has the very dies you're after in the buy and sell section for $50, hop into it
    -
    timattalon and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by grandpamac View Post
    Greetings again,
    You said the rifle mis fired which I take to mean that you pulled the trigger, the firing pin went forward and the round did not fire. So far so good. Next you said when you dropped the bolt back it went off. Did you open and close the bolt and pull the trigger to make it fire or what? If this is what happened then it was just a dodgy primer or a grossly oversized case. The rounds need to be loaded in the mag rather than dropped in the chamber to ensure they are picked up by the extractor so this could be a problem or was it something else which may need fixing?
    GPM.
    I just started opening the bolt to take shell out. Went off as I moved the bolt. I may of put it directly into the chamber. I wasn't aware you shouldn't load that way so have learnt something else today! Thank you

you'll break the edge off the extractor if you dont load from the magazine. and then you'll have fun trying to find a new one
    timattalon likes this.
    may be sarcastic may be a bad joke