Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: 6.5X55 ADI 2208 load help! Please

2209 works fine with 156/160 bullets you don't need to load them hot a friend of mine hunts with a 6.5x54 MS with 156 gr RWS factory ammo velocity is 2200fps kills every thing with one shot saw him shoot a goat
    front on bullet came out it's butt dropped on the spot, tried them in a 19" barrelled Husky with good accuracy at 100 metres velocity was 2150fps never managed to shoot anything with it would have been a good for 200 metre shots on deer, I sold it a few years ago only have a 30" target rifle in 6.5x55 and a 264 Win Mag may work up a bush load for the 264 with them

Ok, here i go again… First of all, thank you to you all who somehow jump in this thread and somehow help me with my question, i actually learn a bit from it.
    After a few tries and failure i am here agin with maybe few more questions. I primarily need to let you all know what are the "initial" equipment and condition(if i can say anything about it), the rifle in question is a Carl Gustav in 6.5X55SE, age and rounds count is unknown to me, rifling looks good in "MY" view however i can't say anything regards the throat or any internals, crown is fine, rifle has been "sporterised" with a syntetic stock, the owner has been shooting 140r Hornady interlock as long he can remember with hand loads somehow very "dodgy" to me as every one of the 5 rounds i pull off was completely different charges, so anyway…
    I did few loads as suggested here with the projectiles in case and the ADI2209 in the old brass he had kept, the results was absolute "crazy" the POI was a big guess shooting was wild, some rounds hit 5" to the side and 3" low, other 2" high and 3-4" to "some side". then i found 3 charges that sounds promising and i work some loads with different seating length, boom! the accuracy "improved" but just enough to call that "workable", my friend bought new Norma brass to take off the "brass" variable, i bought 2 different boxes of ammo(Federal Fusion and Winchester SuperX 140Gr) to try and check the accuracy with those… "tragedy", everything went down hill again, group around 3-4" and somewhere around the "bullseye" but nothing close to group "tighter" with both ammo, ammo worked out so i got in "control" of the shooting working the "shooter" variable, nah! i did shot like "crap", not that i am a good shooter but really horrible.
    I did prepper the new Norma bras and reload it with the 3 most "probable" charges and bullet seating length, shot it this afternoon and the charges were quiet good with the SD at around 15 avg, however once again the groups were not great, the best was the one with SD at 7.6 and group around 4" with spread horizontal in the same line.

My question, is the throat "erosion" so significant that will cause this much trouble? would be the rifle twist not appropriate to the bullet weight or the seating should be Jammed right in? should i push the charge up(as i am not near the highest recommended by ADI)?

Well, i am sure i have more questions but i think i had enough for now or my brain "work load" will be too much.

Thank you in advance.

Mac

I had 7 Swedes at one time none of them ever shot that bad in fact they all shot extremely well Hornady 140gr Interlocks shot as good as anything else Sierra 140gr Gamekings is another good bullet I seat them to 3.140"
    if 2209 is not working try 2213sc or H4831 push the load up to max carefully accuracy is usually 1.5 to 2.0 grains below max,
    don't worry about the jump to the rifling it does not seem to matter with the Swedes I had one that the bullet fell out of the case before it reached the rifling but it still shot as good as the others I had,
    There could be something wrong with the one you have start with a serious clean and check all the screws are tight, change the stock if you can, I still have a 96 stock if you are close to Tokoroa or know some one passing
    through you borrow it.
    PERRISCICABA likes this.

I wouldn't have thought adjusting ammo would be able to significantly improve groups that are already larger than 3"?

Sounds like an issue with the rifle more than the ammunition to me.

LJP
    It sounds mechanical - think scope, rings, bedding, crown....rooted barrel? Check all screws, change scope & retry.
    PERRISCICABA likes this.

So, thank you @LJP, @shooternz and @chalkeye for the feedback, i "think" i found the problem… Follow a photo of the action front screw, from here you can make your mind… Boyds Gunstocks has just made another $100 from my friend.

Thank you a lot for the help, i will keep you guys posted.

Cheers.

Mac

Name:  IMG_3738.jpg
Views: 608
Size:  465.0 KB