Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: 7.62x51, and what to do with it.

Now thats a good wee story!

Always keep the CQ happy and youll be amazed at what he can get his hands on.

Over 50 years ago I asked an Armourer mate for a packet of 9mm and got given a whole case. He said a missing packet is investigated but a whole case is just an accounting error!

A the end of all our annual camps in my TF days we always staged big yipee for the civvies and more importantly to dispose of any remaining ordinance at Q staffs insistence . I vividly remember a cadre staff member with the task of disposing of 70lb of assorted HE trying to coerce the CO into letting him and the assault pioneers blow a new swimming pool in the middle of a very big army training area (OK it was tekapo).

CO said no as 3TF command structure had no sense of humour ,and LFHQ in wellington were even worse.

.In any event it and 6 surplus claymores went to aramegeddon together in what one wee school fella in front of me said "it was a bloody big bang Dad".

In those days we even had the skyhawks hurtle in and do a simulated rocket strike on some missourian 44gallon drums too. cattle grazing the area were herded to safety via iroquios cattle dog ,with crew hollering as cowboys all relayed over the PA system to the locals who were to various degrees amused.
    schoolkids were extremely amused as a lot of us in the green machine hit the deck as the kerosine cowboys screamed overhead. I heard one wee lass say to her mate 'why do they lay down thems aeroplane s they wont hurt us!"Who says the army didnt train us well???????

the tekapo training area is still home to unknown quantities of unexploded ammo and ordinance post cmt traing etc etc and fatalities have occurred sheeo being most commn but one schollkid als .
    regarding 7.62x51c -IIRC olin(Winchester) australia had the contract to reload all this for NZ Defence .In my limted CQMScareer I only once had a major -In the middle of a shoot did a resupp only to find some of the rounds had slugs pointing at various angles of the compass.the regular force RQMS members of my unit and the order of blanket folders at Burnham were not amused at having to go through and check stock!!!!
    Last edited by kotuku; 26-09-2023 at 09:30 AM.

The Waiouru pistol club got it's start the same way, surplus 9mm ammo from some Squadron training yippee..... now where are we going to find something that shoots 9x19 in Waiouru?

Great times.

Ahh.. great tales of 'surplus acquisitions'.

I would share, but my stories are from this side of the millennium, and the most of the people concerned are still in, including me.

What I mean to say is... what? me? I don't know anything about that range produce Sir.
    Marty Henry and Micky Duck like this.

Waay back when Linton Camp was known as Force Maintenance Group (1980's) a couple of paraflares MAY have had the flares removed and replaced with PE4 with a chopped off plain det turned upside down.

Guy Fawkes night.....3000 foot above camp, FUCK did it possibly make a lot of noise
    Micky Duck, 40mm and shananah like this.

Sorry to rekindle the thread, I’ve dug out some more I thought I’d flicked off

Singapore contract 7.62x51 made by ST kinetics for the SDF most of it is JF 1996 contract, but there is a handful of HF 1986 in there, bout 108 rounds worth, and have de linked it if anyone is keen to pick it up for a Rutherford or there abouts. Name:  A28F6CEC-2037-4711-BD71-87FD14267B26.jpeg
Views: 106
Size:  3.36 MB
    blip likes this.