Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By 7mmsaum
  • 2 Post By Basenjiboy
  • 1 Post By Husky1600
  • 1 Post By Waynesworld
  • 1 Post By northdude
  • 2 Post By Tentman
  • 1 Post By Tuidog

Thread: advice on .222 loads

advice on .222 loads

Hi all, I am looking for a bit of advice.
    I am wanting to load .222 with 55gn projectile. I have heard differing feedback regarding this. Is this too heavy? I'm using 2208. I am only loading for hunting so not after anything out of this world. The only reason I am using 55gr is I can buy them in bags of 500 for a shit load less than the others. Whilst I would rather something say 45gn, the price seems to jump significantly.
    I am relatively a rookie at this reloading so I would love to hear ideas.
    Thanks in advance
    Wayne

Caretaker
    50g Sierra Gameking

And 2206H powder
    Waynesworld likes this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

I run a sako L461 and don't have any problems with 55 grain Hornadys.
    I'm using AR2207 rather than 2208.
    shooternz and Waynesworld like this.

My 222 shoots both 55gn Nosler/Hornady's, and 63gn Sierra's pushed along by either Win748, or 2207. Have you tried some loads using the 55gn projectile you are planning on buying? If you are yet to develop a load, I can send you some Noslers or Hornady's to try first. Then buy in bulk.
    Waynesworld likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Husky1600 View Post
    My 222 shoots both 55gn Nosler/Hornady's, and 63gn Sierra's pushed along by either Win748, or 2207. Have you tried some loads using the 55gn projectile you are planning on buying? If you are yet to develop a load, I can send you some Noslers or Hornady's to try first. Then buy in bulk.
    Thanks Husky, I have not loaded anything as of yet but I am running bulk 55gn through my .223 and want to use the same. It's all about economics lol. What is the advantage of 2207 over 2208? I appreciate the offer for you to send some down, that is really kind of you. I will load a few 55gn with 2208 and see how it goes first however. From a bit of googling, I was worried they were a wee bit on the heavy side.
    Thanks again
    Husky1600 likes this.

northdude
    i used to use a 55gr corelokt and 2206h
    Waynesworld likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    i used to use a 55gr corelokt and 2206h
    Thanks mate, sounds like I was overthinking it.

Naracoorte South Australia/From South Canterbury
    What is the rifle?

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tuidog View Post
    What is the rifle?

I just bought the wee Brno on trademe, I’ve been looking for a shooter for a while and it ticked the boxes for me

Gidday from over the fence (Wayne is my neighbour!!) - so you got that 222, nice.

222's will often go ok with 55 gn if you get them running reasonably fast (this speeds up the rate the projectile is spinning at). A Valmet (combination gun) I had many years ago shot them superbly with a 1:14 twist, it had a 26" barrel so they were running quite quick.

I've got plenty of powders you can try . . . .
    264 Luvr and Waynesworld like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    Gidday from over the fence (Wayne is my neighbour!!) - so you got that 222, nice.

222's will often go ok with 55 gn if you get them running reasonably fast (this speeds up the rate the projectile is spinning at). A Valmet (combination gun) I had many years ago shot them superbly with a 1:14 twist, it had a 26" barrel so they were running quite quick.

I've got plenty of powders you can try . . . .
    Lol shit if it wasn’t hailing so bad you could have just shouted over the fence. Yeah might take up on the powder. Catch u up. My nephew is in starship pretty crook at the moment so I’m getting all the levers out and making videos for him....he is hunting mad. Hoping to have a lash with the .405 this weekend will keep u posted

Naracoorte South Australia/From South Canterbury
    Quote Originally Posted by Waynesworld View Post
    I just bought the wee Brno on trademe, I’ve been looking for a shooter for a while and it ticked the boxes for me
    So its likely to be 1:14 twist. You may get away with the 55 grainers

Waynesworld likes this.

Like you Waynesworls I was running plenty of 55 gr projectiles in my .223 and when I bought my first .222 (Sako A1 and then a L461) I wanted to keep it simple and just stick with one prokectile.

I found in my rifles I couldn't get either of them to group with AR2206H or BM2 which I have plenty on hand.

I then tried some Hornady 50 gr projectiles and I was away so it's really going to come down to whether your barrel likes the 55's or not which I hope it does som that way you get to keep everything simple..

A mate who has shot a shit load of deer with his .222's uses 50 gr Targex projectiles with AR2208 powder

Hot barrels

Quote Originally Posted by Seventenths View Post
    Like you Waynesworls I was running plenty of 55 gr projectiles in my .223 and when I bought my first .222 (Sako A1 and then a L461) I wanted to keep it simple and just stick with one prokectile.

I found in my rifles I couldn't get either of them to group with AR2206H or BM2 which I have plenty on hand.

I then tried some Hornady 50 gr projectiles and I was away so it's really going to come down to whether your barrel likes the 55's or not which I hope it does som that way you get to keep everything simple..

A mate who has shot a shit load of deer with his .222's uses 50 gr Targex projectiles with AR2208 powder

Hot barrels
    Yeah 100% on that, I think that is how it will play out. I will see how they run and go from there. I don’t remember rifles been so bloody picky. Sometimes the more you know the less you know.