Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: best factory ammo t3 308

Quote Originally Posted by buzzman View Post
    shot the 150grn sst superformance today 1/4" @ 100 5 shots lol
    It's crazy for factory huh?!

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    It's crazy for factory huh?!
    better than my hand loads haha

Quote Originally Posted by buzzman View Post
    better than my hand loads haha
    Same problem... Wonder why I bothered getting into reloading
    Last edited by jakewire; 03-09-2016 at 07:37 PM.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    sorry 223nut went to answer but hit in your post instead , that's why you see the Jakewire edit bit

What I said was
    70$ for 20 is probably why we reload
    veitnamcam, Feral and 223nut like this.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

couple off years ago i could get my ammo cost plus %5. $37 a box and $33 a box for hornady 223 brass training ammo. thats with steves wholesalers already putting his cut on it by it goes to the retailer.

An old mate down Palmy way bought a bush block a few months back and invited me and another Palmy mate to have a look around his new investment - he had too many animals in a 300 acre paddock so offered each of us to take home a spiker - I got mine with the 270 resting on the bottom of the gate - but my mate managed to miss his one with his old 303 - caged spiker still tastes fine but it was a bit skinny
    After several later attempts to get the 303 accurate on his farm - I finally convinced him to ditch it
    He asked me to check out the Tauranga shops for a good deal in 308 or 7mm08 - I found him a run out model Tikka super lightweight 7mm08 at $1299 - sorry Tahr they didn’t have a superlight weight in 308 or we would have done that - I love the look of that fluted barell and it is so light for old fellas
    While I was in the shop - another old mate we used to hunt with was doing the shop extension fit out - he asked the owner for a special deal for us - I couldn’t get any more off the Tikka but got a good deal on a VX1 and some ammo
    I have used Winchester Silvertips for years so asked for a couple of boxes - could only get Ballistic Silvertips - but figured they would be OK
    So the gear ended up down in Palmy - but my mate wasn’t keen to run the Tikka in on the Silvertips so got a slightly cheaper blue box of Federal - he went out to the range at Turitea yesterday and quickly decided that I had bought him a real DOG - he couldn’t get it to group inside 5 inches at 100m - they were all over the place - after 16 shots out of the blue box - in desperation he got out a box of Silvertips - the first shot was close to the vertical line and 2.5 inches high - the second shot seemed to miss the A4 target altogether - the third shot made the first hole move a fraction - he went up to the target and found the three bullets had all gone through the same hole - he was a very happy Tikka owner and remembered his days in the army where he was classed as a marksman - I would have liked him to reduce the trigger from 3lb to 2lb but he was happy with it out of the box
    I don’t recall my Tikka 243 ever putting three shots through the same hole at 100m - but it was pretty good
    I don’t think my mate will ever buy a blue box again - but he is real keen to get up in the bush with the Silvertips - I just hope he will be happy with the killing power of the 7mm08 on reds
    223nut likes this.

I had great results with the Federal 130Grn stopped pigs pretty good too

Cheers Antz

Fed blue box 150grn get my nod!
    Friwi likes this.
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

I saw a box of buffalo river Ammo: 308 loaded with 135 gr Sierra hp projectiles. They could be the ticket for all the varmint to small size deer .
    Steve123 and Ryan_Songhurst like this.

No ones said ppu and highland! You bunch of ammo snobs. It's only a tikka! Lol
    Start at the cheapest and see if it shoots, My last 308 shot privi to .8 and knocked animals down well.
    Steve123 and Antz like this.

Somme rifles just dis like certain brands and weights of ammo, the same make and model on a different one might just love it. Same old story, if your rifle shoots them crap doesnt mean its crap ammo. You do hear of some ammo thou that seems to have a certain history one way or the other. In 308 have heard far too many times above average how FED Fusion groups crap for instance and have heard the Hornady 150sst groups very well above average as examples.
    Sometimes you pay for what you get, the Hornady 150ssts at 59 a box around here i recken are worth every penny

3tikkas and a Sako I have played with in 308 all shot fed blue box WELL under an inch at a hundy.

Yet to meet a 308 that doesent shoot belmonts 130gr hollow point well and its cheap....or it was last time I bought it.

Sent from my SM-G800Y using Tapatalk
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Mine likes Hornady whitetail

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

During my days of buying factory ammunition for various rifles I always found fiocchi shot very well in everything, their SST load in 270 is a bit slower than superformance but shot like a laser in my T3, savage 116, and M77

Ejected
    It's the projectiles that make the most difference in ammo so choose something with a decent projectile i.e. a Sierra HPBT or something with a fancy plastic tip. This type of ammo normally isn't the cheapest.