Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Bipod affecting accuracy.

Banned
    I don't believe there is really much to gain from a bipod. I like a fabric backpack stuffed with clothes. It sounds rough, but its a hunting field rest. The bag allows you to shape a channel for the rifle to run in, and you can put it anywhere. Crook of a tree branch, between two rocks or on flat ground. A bi-pod interferes with a rifles harmonics and it links the rifle to the surface it is on. A bi-pod on a rock is not the same thing as a bi-pod on dirt. The backpack is always the same.

This topic is part of why there is a huge difference between a range accurate rifle and a field accurate rifle.

I going to put this to the test soon.
    I have changed from a heavy rifle with a solid stock to a light weight rifle with a flimsy plastic stock (same caliber) and have noticed a huge difference in impact shift with a bi-pod to the point where I get double groups if I don't load the bi-pod exactly the same each time.
    So I am going to do a few 5 shot groups with bi-pod and rear hold, bi-pod forend hold, sandbag rear hold, sandbag forend hold. And see if I note a difference.
    All shots done prone I hate shooting off benches.
    Finnwolf likes this.
    BC doesn't matter, until you need to dial

LRP
    I know the one I would choose !!!! And if shooting with a "flimsy plastic" stock, good luck with either method.
    57jl likes this.

"flimsy plastic" stock is a Tikka T3, currently deciding to stabilize and bed it or buy new decent stock/chassis.
    But for now will find out which works best for current set up.
    BC doesn't matter, until you need to dial

LRP
    Quote Originally Posted by winaa View Post
    "flimsy plastic" stock is a Tikka T3, currently deciding to stabilize and bed it or buy new decent stock/chassis.
    But for now will find out which works best for current set up.
    The Tikka T3 stock is not bad as it is !! That's one of the reasons the T3's go so well. Bad is the likes of the Weatherby Vanguard plastic stock.

The most famous example of the flimsy stock issue has to be the early Rem 700 tactical, which was significantly affected by the front of the stock touching the barrel. Even with the heavy barrel, the harmonics were affected badly enough to throw bullets at 1moa or more, from what should have been a 1/2 MOA platform.
    LRP likes this.

All I can say is that I seem to have more hits with my 17HMR when using a bipod than not....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bol Tackshin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tiroatedson View Post
    All I can say is that I seem to have more hits with my 17HMR when using a bipod than not....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You have a point there, mate. Practical accuracy vs theoretical accuracy. I'd be stoked to get a 3" group offhand...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bol Tackshin View Post
    You have a point there, mate. Practical accuracy vs theoretical accuracy. I'd be stoked to get a 3" group offhand...
    Its not theoretical accuracy. Its field accuracy vs range accuracy.

If you think about it, trying to set up perfect laboratory style conditions to test the accuracy of your hunting rifle is foolish.

You might be able to take bedding issues (for example) out of the equation somehow, but when you go back to the field they re-appear, so what was the point? You only learned about your range accuracy and you have no idea what your field accuracy was.

This is why I test my zero and my loads from varied field rests.

Here's another thing to think about. Why shoot groups? You can try this and I think you will find I am right. Shoot some 3 or 5 shot groups. Then repeat the same exercise, but this time shoot one round at 3 or 5 individual points instead of a group.

Add up your group sizes and average them.

Then, measure the distance from the point of aim to the point of impact for your 3-5 1 shot attempts. Work out the average, then double the number (turning them back into groups).

You should find that your rifle shot better shooting a single round at a single target than when it was shooting a group.
    Bol Tackshin likes this.

Bos
    Remember that a bipod is just an extension to the forestock on the rifle. If the action is bedded and
    the barrel free-floated, then a bipod wont make any difference to the point of impact. It cant, its not affecting any part of the barrel. If the rifle barrel sits on pressure points in the forestock, then thats another story altogether.
    As far as groups are concerned, my view is that its great if you can shoot tight groups but the reallity is that you'll probably only get one shot, maybe two before an animal takes off, so at that point how valuable is your five shot group??
    Its usually the one shot group that puts the venny on the plate.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos View Post
    Remember that a bipod is just an extension to the forestock on the rifle. If the action is bedded and
    the barrel free-floated, then a bipod wont make any difference to the point of impact. It cant, its not affecting any part of the barrel. If the rifle barrel sits on pressure points in the forestock, then thats another story altogether.
    As far as groups are concerned, my view is that its great if you can shoot tight groups but the reallity is that you'll probably only get one shot, maybe two before an animal takes off, so at that point how valuable is your five shot group??
    Its usually the one shot group that puts the venny on the plate.
    "Bedded" is a bit like "how long is a piece of string". If the action is sunk into the stock, its bedded. How well varies.

A bipod is a lever almost as long as a tire lever. If you lean on your bi-pod then your putting almost a tire lever worth of extra force onto your action screws and bearing points. Enough to remove a wheel nut if you lean on them like I do. Versapod loves it.

That can make a big difference if the bedding is not right for the rifle.
    Mauser308 and Woody like this.

Re the above posts; I do not put pressure on the bipod, I treat it as a rest with my right hand supporting the bottom of the butt-plate, I don’t put much weight on the pistol grip, just hold it firmly enough for a good trigger release.

Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    Its not theoretical accuracy. Its field accuracy vs range accuracy.

If you think about it, trying to set up perfect laboratory style conditions to test the accuracy of your hunting rifle is foolish.

You might be able to take bedding issues (for example) out of the equation somehow, but when you go back to the field they re-appear, so what was the point? You only learned about your range accuracy and you have no idea what your field accuracy was.

This is why I test my zero and my loads from varied field rests.

Here's another thing to think about. Why shoot groups? You can try this and I think you will find I am right. Shoot some 3 or 5 shot groups. Then repeat the same exercise, but this time shoot one round at 3 or 5 individual points instead of a group.

Add up your group sizes and average them.

Then, measure the distance from the point of aim to the point of impact for your 3-5 1 shot attempts. Work out the average, then double the number (turning them back into groups).

You should find that your rifle shot better shooting a single round at a single target than when it was shooting a group.
    Err. no. It's the difference between the gun's accuracy, and the gunner's accuracy. Shooting groups off a bench is fine (though most rifles produced today are MOA out of the box anyway, but grampa's .30 not so much)
    There's no logic behind your difference between "shooting one at many targets" and shooting many at one.
    THOUGH, cold bore shots can be a bit off the POA.

One method of sniper training I read about (I'll try and find a reference) involved firing one shot per day (!) over a month or three, at a random time, random distance, whatever the weather. THIS is pretty much your hunt scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by Finnwolf View Post
    Re the above posts; I do not put pressure on the bipod, I treat it as a rest with my right hand supporting the bottom of the butt-plate, I don’t put much weight on the pistol grip, just hold it firmly enough for a good trigger release.
    This works well in a low recoiling platform but in a snappier recoiling rifle will contribute to hop/make it hard to spot your shots. You need to allow some play for the rifle to move in a straight line during the recoil cycle. Light forward pressure achieves this.

A mistake ive seen many make (and have made myself) is thinking that loading the bipod means putting a bunch of weight into it, not the case. Its a firm but gentle forward pressure.

LRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick-D View Post
    This works well in a low recoiling platform but in a snappier recoiling rifle will contribute to hop/make it hard to spot your shots. You need to allow some play for the rifle to move in a straight line during the recoil cycle. Light forward pressure achieves this.

A mistake ive seen many make (and have made myself) is thinking that loading the bipod means putting a bunch of weight into it, not the case. Its a firm but gentle forward pressure.
    Fair call Nick. Its all relative. Load it up if u can, but too much and the rifle becomes 'over-stressed', specially if its subject to excessive stock flex. Hence the easiest rifle to operate consistantly well has a stiff stock, and is therefore less sensitive to differing gun-handling technique. A super stiff stock theoretically becomes 'inert' which is to say it will "load up" far less than a horrible one. Its all relative.
    Nick-D likes this.