Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Bushing dies

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Yes have been looking at body dies,was thinking Redding Comp Seater, body die and lee collet neck die, though has an email from Lee overnight , they would have to make one as it's not a standard product and would require two fired cases and a bullet so that 3 way combo probably is out for me as when I'm finished my amax I'll have to move o another bullet anyway.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by jakewire View Post
    Yes have been looking at body dies,was thinking Redding Comp Seater, body die and lee collet neck die, though has an email form Lee overnight , they would have to make one as it's not a standard product and would require two fired cases and a bullet so that 3 way combo probably is out for me as when Im finished myamax I;ve have to move o another bullet anway.
    130 gr Sirocco. I didn't shoot a heap of animals with my 6.5-06 but the Sirocco performed at all ranges for me especially up close.
    If the damn things would shoot in my Ackley I would be using them now.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Its such a PITA that Redding don't make as standard a Full length bushing die set...

You have to by a FL bushing die & seater die separately....

Goodness knows how many guys I've seen with bushing dies using multiple bushes getting cranky because not much is changing...... when they are still using the expander.....

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    Its such a PITA that Redding don't make as standard a Full length bushing die set...

You have to by a FL bushing die & seater die separately....

Goodness knows how many guys I've seen with bushing dies using multiple bushes getting cranky because not much is changing...... when they are still using the expander.....
    Yes they do any Cartridge they make Comp and S dies for you can get as a single die or a complete set,
    http://redding-reloading.com/images/...tyleDies-1.png

Quote Originally Posted by shooternz View Post
    Yes they do any Cartridge they make Comp and S dies for you can get as a single die or a complete set,
    http://redding-reloading.com/images/...tyleDies-1.png
    They only make the FL comp seater sets...I would like a FL bushing die & standard seater

I hate comp seaters with a passion would rather use a bog standard seater...Micro seater is where its at

I like neck bushing dies for a couple of good reasons, first one is you are only working the neck of the brass as much, or as little, as is needed, no pulling your brass back over the expander plug on the decapper if you don't want to, I found that pulling the neck of your cases back over the expander was one of the biggest causes of stretching your brass. neck tension if adjustable by using a different bush, and as I do a fair bit of wild catting cartridges, the one die can be used for many different calibers on the one case if you want to, for example, I use a 222Rem Redding neck bushing die to size the necks on four different calibers, 17/222, 20/222, 222 and 250 Myra, all with just the change of one bush, a very cheap option.
    jakewire likes this.

AWS
    Like Kamel I use FL Bushing dies to form & load multiple calibers.

I use a 204Ruger FL bushing die to load 22-204, 6mm-204 and 25-204 I have swapped out the spindle as the 204 is to small for the 224, 243, 257 tapered expander balls. I did have to open the top of the die at the junction of the shoulder and neck to allow the larger sized necks through.

Same with my 223 FL bushing die, I form and size 20 Practical, 223, and 6mmx45 with it. No need to change the spindle as it is large enough for all the expander balls.

For seaters I use the Hornady seaters with the sliding sleeve in the appropriate size as they are pretty much universal for case size . I can seat 25-204, 250-3000, 257 Roberts with the same seater. Same with the 222 Rem/ 223 will seat 22-204, 5.6x50R Mag and 22-250.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    They only make the FL comp seater sets...I would like a FL bushing die & standard seater

I hate comp seaters with a passion would rather use a bog standard seater...Micro seater is where its at
    Why not go to a Whidden set? they do F/L or Neck ...you choose and same bushing as Redding / wilson
    And the micro seater has nice BIG numbers
    Last edited by johnd; 22-02-2019 at 09:34 AM.

Just to mess you about some more.

In 6.5 Cm and 260 Rem I use bushing dies and get good results out to 600 yds ( 1/2 MOA on a good day ) Neck turned bladdy blah everything done that I can do.

In a 308 TR with standard dies I still get 1/2 MOA out to 600yds and basic case prep ( clean pocket, clean case, shoulder bump ( with the expander in) and load.
    I have just gone to collet die and will get a proper bump die when they need pushing back. (Havent shot any yet)

I think for the out lay you are on the right track with getting the collet die etc. With the bushing or the collet its all about understanding the neck tension you put on the projectile.

Just re read your post and see that you have to send the cases away etc ..... so that will probably negate the Lee die as a price competitive option
    Last edited by johnd; 22-02-2019 at 09:38 AM.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Actually they weren't bad John, happy to pay what they wanted, they insist on a set though not just the Collet.
    Even so the main issue is actually getting two fired cases to give them as the last time I saw the Barrel [a week ago] it was still unattached to the rifle.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?