Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By Beavis
  • 2 Post By GWH
  • 1 Post By Puffin
  • 1 Post By GWH
  • 3 Post By Dermastor
  • 1 Post By 10-Ring
  • 2 Post By GWH

Thread: Type S Bushing dies

Type S Bushing dies

So I'm looking at getting a set of these and I'm wondering are they that much better than standard dies.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

You get total control over sizing of your case necks. With standard dies you get what you get, unless you turn down the expander, but then you can't go back the other way.

You get to size your necks with as little work as possible, no need for the expander button unless the case mouths are really dented. I have mine set up to give 1 thou of neck tension and don't use the expander.
    GWH likes this.

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    You get total control over sizing of your case necks. With standard dies you get what you get, unless you turn down the expander, but then you can't go back the other way.

You get to size your necks with as little work as possible, no need for the expander button unless the case mouths are really dented. I have mine set up to give 1 thou of neck tension and don't use the expander.
    Yep as said you have the flexibility to alter neck tension. Bushing dies are pretty much essential if you are also neck turning. I have to neck turn for a couple of my rifles, and therefore you pretty much have to have bushing dies to then be able to alter the amount that you size the neck.

Since ive started neck turning, and using bushing dies, and annealing, i now have very consistent neck thickness and i can tune the neck tension to what the rifle likes and gives best performance. And im am noticing the difference in precision at longer ranges.

Consistent neck tension is arguably the most important factor in achieving a level of precision and tight grouping with ammo.

Having now replaced all of my Redding Type-S bushing dies with Competition bushing dies, maybe consider these over the Type-S if you are going to the expense of changing to some type of bushing die. The Type-S wouldn't size concentrically in my set-up, and it is just possible you may end up with a similar issue. Most reloaders don't seem to have a problem with them however. Accurate Arms & Ammo have been good to deal with for getting Redding gear from the States.
    chainsaw likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post

Awesome thanks for that

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
    Having now replaced all of my Redding Type-S bushing dies with Competition bushing dies, maybe consider these over the Type-S if you are going to the expense of changing to some type of bushing die. The Type-S wouldn't size concentrically in my set-up, and it is just possible you may end up with a similar issue. Most reloaders don't seem to have a problem with them however. Accurate Arms & Ammo have been good to deal with for getting Redding gear from the States.
    I'm just starting to go the other way, I have 3 sets of redding competition bushing neck die sets with body die etc. But I'm now using the shoulder/body die as well every time I size I thought I might as well just have type S full length bushing dies.

So that's what I got for the 28N. They are making nice straight ammo.

I just order direct from Sinclairs/Brownells.
    chainsaw likes this.

I agree with most of the comments however I believe that you need the ability to bump the shoulder back 2-3 thou so there is no problem chambering rounds. I use the type s bushing style full sizing. This could be what the op was talking about.

Name:  DSC01381-001.JPG
Views: 350
Size:  195.5 KB
    GWH, shooternz and Dytek like this.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    You can, of course, in conjunction with a Type S neck die use a Redding body die to slightly bump the shoulder back when the case starts to get more resistance than you'd like on closing.

I've found on average the Wilson bushings give me more concentric ammunition than the Redding bushings do. They're interchangeable.

I see the Whidden F/L bushing dies are getting good press in the U.S.
    chainsaw likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    I'm just starting to go the other way, I have 3 sets of redding competition bushing neck die sets with body die etc. But I'm now using the shoulder/body die as well every time I size I thought I might as well just have type S full length bushing dies.
    I don't follow? Why would you want to order Type-S bushing dies if you already have Competition bushing dies? The Competition does what the Type-S does and guarantees concentricity because of the sliding sleeve that centres the case before it is offered up to the bushing. It is a better die which is why it costs twice as much. I have found the chambers in the Type-S to usually be so oversized that the case walls & shoulder do not touch the die throughout the whole neck sizing process so really there is nothing holding the neck concentric other than the ability of the neck to self-centre in the bushing, which it may do, or it may not.

The body die is for sizing the case walls and bumping the shoulder back. I'm not sure that bumping the shoulders with the Type-S is what they are intended for, but I may be wrong. Certainly if you also have the body die, then you wouldn't use a Type-S bushing for the shoulders, only the necks as a separate process.

Can you elaborate on your thinking here please ?

I like the Whidden dies. They use the same bushing as a Wilson or Redding They are about $320 +/- delivered to your door direct from them.
    Thats very sharp compared to what a set of alternatves will run here.
    Nice BIG numbers on the micro stem too

Wilson also do a standard style bushing die (7/8th thread ) but its a stand alone ( no partnered seater die ) very nice die in stainless.

What about those guys?
    Exact Shooting

My mistake so apologies to those I no doubt offended: "Type S – Neck Bushing Die" vs "Type S – Full Bushing Die", two different things, and I was not aware of the existence of the latter.

GWH
    My mistake so apologies to those I no doubt offended: "Type S – Neck Bushing Die" vs "Type S – Full Bushing Die", two different things, and I was not aware of the existence of the latter.
    Yeah the Type S i've recently got is the FL bushing on the neck. I never replaced a Competition set with it (as this is for a new cartridge for me). Based on my experiences with my 3 die Competition sets (Bush neck die/ Body die/ seater) and now always ending up using both the Bushing neck die and the body die every time, i decided that in future i'd save a step and just go with the FL bushing die. The FL bushing type S die is making very straight ammo and im getting very tight groups out past 1200 yards.
    Puffin and chainsaw like this.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    I've found with the Redding neck sizing bushing dies that concentricity improves a lot by just backing off the amount of sizing on the neck by using the top adjustment screw.

If I ever get any cases with run-out greater than .002 I use a RCBS bullet puller with the correct sized collet by hand to just bend the bullet back into line. Doesn't take much.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    That should be, "bend the case neck back into line" - not the bullet.