Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Sierra Pro Hunter vs Game King

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar

Sierra Pro Hunter vs Game King

I have both Pro Hunter and Game Kings in 100g for the 243. The both appear to have very similar ogives shape. Can I sub one for the other with powder load and seating depth? Running 47.2g AR2217 for 3050fps validated today to 400y.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Main difference is PH are all flat base and GK are boat tails

PH shoot well in older rifles. Slayed heaps with the 308 150grain.

Good pills
    Warm Barrels!

Gone but not forgotten
    Seating depth maybe, powder load no, unless you are close to starting load.
    The Prohunter will have a longer bearing surface than a Gameking of the same weight, which will increase pressure. Hardness may differ too which affects pressure.
    Reloading books usually recommend reworking loads when you change batch/lot of the exact same bullet, let alone changing bullets.

How have you found them on Game.
    I have been a fan of the smaller 85gr GK in 243 and in other calibers but have not heard lot about the larger ones. Some suggestions that they are a little heavily constructed to be effective in the 243 once the range starts to get up. (NB full disclosure I now use berger 87,105 and ELD-M 108 )
    Zq
    Last edited by ZQLewis; 06-08-2018 at 12:26 AM.

Use the 85gr GMK in 243 for the roar and 65gr GMK in 223 for main shooting for rest of year. The 65gr is an impressive pill.

Pro hunters are awesome projectiles everything I have shot with them has been in a whole heap of trouble real quick, mainly used the 120s in a 260 and for a 0-300m load couldn't have asked for better performance.
    On the other hand, the sgk is also a great performer in my experience (150gr in 270win) I would just choose the one your rifle likes best and go hunting
    kiwijames, GWH, Woody and 1 others like this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Quote Originally Posted by ZQLewis View Post
    I have been a fan of the smaller 85gr GK in 243 and in other calibers but have not heard lot about the larger ones. Some suggestions that they are a little heavily constructed to be effective in the 243 once the range starts to get up. (NB full disclosure I now use berger 87,105 and ELD-M 108 )
    Zq
    I've used the ProHunter 100gr in .243 for about 25 years. Regular kills at 250m+, longest kills have been 350m. It is accurate enough for me to trust it 100% with precision neck shots in steep bushy country, for when I don't want them to go even one step in any direction.

It has accounted for more game in that time than all the other bullets I've ever used put together, twice over. It stabilises fine in a 1:10" twist, though it can be a bit finnickity to get the load right. I push mine at 2800fps and they are a bloody fantastic projectile, frangible and very deadly, dumps all the energy where it matters rather than punching right through and expending its energy somewhere in the surrounding countryside.

There is no difference in the construction of the ProHunter and the GameKing, they are identical but for the base design. Contrary to some opinions on the interweb, they are not designed to be controlled expanding (ProHunter) vs frangible (GameKing). I have that in writing direct from Sierra!
    kiwijames, GWH and ZQLewis like this.

The 85g HPBT is a fantastic pill but I wanted a little more weight and the increased BC that comes with the GK. I have a good load for the 100g PH and as I have a supply of 100g GK was hoping the two may be pretty much interchangeable.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    Seating depth maybe, powder load no, unless you are close to starting load.
    The Prohunter will have a longer bearing surface than a Gameking of the same weight, which will increase pressure. Hardness may differ too which affects pressure.
    Reloading books usually recommend reworking loads when you change batch/lot of the exact same bullet, let alone changing bullets.
    Sierra has both bullets in their load manual in the same bracket for loading so figured the two should be pretty much interchangeable.

Quote Originally Posted by ZQLewis View Post
    Zq
    I've used the ProHunter 100gr in .243 for about 25 years. Regular kills at 250m+, longest kills have been 350m. It is accurate enough for me to trust it 100% with precision neck shots in steep bushy country, for when I don't want them to go even one step in any direction.

It has accounted for more game in that time than all the other bullets I've ever used put together, twice over. It stabilises fine in a 1:10" twist, though it can be a bit finnickity to get the load right. I push mine at 2800fps and they are a bloody fantastic projectile, frangible and very deadly, dumps all the energy where it matters rather than punching right through and expending its energy somewhere in the surrounding countryside.

There is no difference in the construction of the ProHunter and the GameKing, they are identical but for the base design. Contrary to some opinions on the interweb, they are not designed to be controlled expanding (ProHunter) vs frangible (GameKing). I have that in writing direct from Sierra!

Used both styles in a 308 years ago and found them to be great killers, using either or you should have to many problems.
    kiwijames likes this.

Gone but not forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    Sierra has both bullets in their load manual in the same bracket for loading so figured the two should be pretty much interchangeable.
    Sierra brackets all their projectiles into groups based on weight, that doesn't mean a hot load with one of them will be safe with another.

There's a new Sierra Game Changer projectile that could be worth looking in to as well
    kiwijames likes this.

I looked at the 120 Pro hunters for my 260 but Sierra website says too fragile on larger game. Anyone else use them?

Quote Originally Posted by superdiver View Post
    I looked at the 120 Pro hunters for my 260 but Sierra website says too fragile on larger game. Anyone else use them?
    Yes, but in 7mm. They are great.