Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: electronic vs beam scales

RCBS balance mod 505, set the counter weights fool proof,magnetic damper.Been using the same scales for 30 yrs and they are still made just the same today.
    Velocity is thrilling,but diameter does the real killing.

Quote Originally Posted by john m View Post
    RCBS balance mod 505, set the counter weights fool proof,magnetic damper.Been using the same scales for 30 yrs and they are still made just the same today.
    +1 - got mine on TM for $70 or $80 - replaced the Lee one... Man, awesome, and it fit my budget, but making sure it was a well known reputable brand of scale... (made by ohaus)

Yeah im keeping my eye on trademe. Missed a set of redding scales that went for $95. If anyone wants to sell there rcbs, redding or lyman balance beams let me know

BURN BABY BURN
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

I'm not too keen on the cheap electric scales, interwebs says they can be inaccurate and muck you around setting them up.

I just got the new Lyman Gen 6 compact DPS from Natchez. It arrived Friday so I haven't put it through it's paces yet but setup was fast and easy. Weighed some test charges and it was fast doing that too. First impressions are really good. Lyman boast new anti drift technology so Fluros and cell phones shouldn't affect the accuracy. On Natchez they're going for $215USD and freight was $65USD I think.
    geezejonesy likes this.
    If you don't get Dirt, Blood or Grease under your nails it ain't a hobby

I went through the steps of trying to locate and price up test weights - they;re out there, if you can find, them esp in grains, not grams... though the pricing was outta my budget... hence the beam scales..

Quote Originally Posted by Normie View Post
    I just got the new Lyman Gen 6 compact DPS from Natchez. It arrived Friday so I haven't put it through it's paces yet but setup was fast and easy. Weighed some test charges and it was fast doing that too. First impressions are really good. Lyman boast new anti drift technology so Fluros and cell phones shouldn't affect the accuracy. On Natchez they're going for $215USD and freight was $65USD I think.
    that looks the business
    BURN BABY BURN
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by geezejonesy View Post
    The $75 smart reloader scales are crapola I had one and it used to go up the crap all the time even with fully charged batteries and no way fo recalibrating to correct it, the hornady GS1500 is ok as you can recalibrate if they go up the shit and come with a check weight but will only give 0.2 grain increments and I like the idea of 0.1 grain increments so you can get your half grain when working up a load. Unsure what the dearer digital scale is like from smart reloader but I would give it a go if I had too. Right now in my drawer I have an RCBS 510 balance scale (not parting with it) and is bang on it is similar to the rcbs 1010 balance scale with how you adjust the weight increments if you see one grab it as they are way better than the 505.
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

Yeah not keen on those cheap electric ones. Think im going to go balance beams. Cheers for advice

Fulla
    my 505 was good, but it was sticking, if I tapped it. it would settle but I never figured out why. its still accurate you get to know when its stuck.
    I bit the bullet and got a charge master. I never wanted to spend that much. but I never brought a powder dispenser I used measuring spoons and a trickler.
    it was slow, so after adding up a good dispenser and trickler and good scales, I justified to myself handing over the eft pos card.
    I went to use it the other day, .... the power was out. bugger! cant win them all.
    I could have used the 505 that day, but nah.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter308 View Post
    I have an RCBS 510 balance scale (not parting with it) and is bang on it is similar to the rcbs 1010 balance scale with how you adjust the weight increments if you see one grab it as they are way better than the 505.
    just got a set of 5-10 rcbs for $65, bloody bargain i reckon. Couldnt be happier with them and really like the way you adjust the micrometer. very user friendly and very much recommended. Cheers hunter308

Quote Originally Posted by PerazziSC3 View Post
    Oh yip
    What makes the other ones you speak of so much better proudkiwi? They must do some magical shit
    I have never had a problem with the time it takes trickling every charge onto a beam scale so might just stick with it.
    What are "good" beam scales? Looking at a redding scale. Any recommendations?
    i have Lyman beam scales and a hornady powder thrower. i not complain

northdude
    got the horandy digis they work ok just a pain in the arse when they automaticly switch off in the middle of trickiling up a load

Hi all, I have the same queries...
    I'm borrowing a RCBS 10-10 beam scale, it's ok, but slow.

I have bought myself a Lyman 1000xp (from trademe $60) they are worth $130US!!!! I thought BARGAIN of the century... then I read the reviews, and I too share the same fate - they DO NOT HOLD ZERO, ever. I use 24-26grains for my .204 and this thing wanders round to round by 0.1 - 0.5 grains. I'm looking for a replacement....

Borrowed a friends Lyman 1200DPS and it was even worse!! Keyed in 24grains... by the third round, it was trickling out 28grains, a lethal mix for that powder (ADI BM2). I never looked at it again. Just got some ADI 2206H for .204, so may try it out again....

In the meantime, I've ordered a Redding BR30 powder thrower... ?still need to check weight and trickle it though aye? Not arrived yet, so can't comment.

It seems a good set of beam scales never fail, but they can be tedious...